Calling all 3.4 Whipple owners

firemedic

EH!
Established Member
OK, the last several hours I have searched numerous threads, but nothing answered this specifically.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the 3.4 Whipple to the 2.8 KB? I see alot of Whipple vs KB, but usually the smaller 2.3 W vs 2.4-2.6 KB.

I was going 2.3 Whipple with FR500 heads/FRPP Cams/LT headers, but the 2.3 doesn't seems to have enough blow with the freeflowing top side.

I have seen some crazy numbers from the KB, love the whine and the case looks simple to clean. Whipple is bigger, tough to clean but looks awesome.

So will the 3.4 Whipple, being a bigger huffer outperform the 2.8 KB?
Haven't seen any data on the 3.4 so if your using one drop me some info.

Thanks.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Whipple doesn't suggest using the 3.4 if you are using the stock shortblock. It is designed for 25psi, which most people will not be running. Bigger is better in blowers, but not something this big for a street car.

blownaltered

Established Member
Look for foofinator on the board, he is running a 3.4 whipple and loves it. Not sure how much boost he's running but I know he is putting about 765 to the wheels. I know he ran out of fuel, so probably could have went more.

drptitan

Established Member
They say no stock block but a guy at the local shop has a stock block, down to the manifolds. Just needs lots of fuel, on pump it made like 685. I think it is worth it making those numbers.

svt1.8t

JDM BUILT BADASS
Established Member
just to give you the heads up ford racing does not recommend using fr500 heads on 03/04 cobra , i read somewhere they have dry exhaust ports, i had them on my car 3rd real pass done the track torched the head and block on pump gas with my kb 2.2 i went to the 3.4 but would not use it under 25# under that your not using it to its potential dont get me wrong the blower is great you'll make great number and run the numbers, but it really wakes up after 25#, but the kb 2.8 is a great blower if you look around the maca section you'll see a jrsblownsnake switched to the 3.4 and went 9.2 compared to his 9.7 i think on the 2.8

Last edited:

firemedic

EH!
Established Member
just to give you the heads up ford racing does not recommend using fr500 heads on 03/04 cobra , i read somewhere they have dry exhaust ports, i had them on my car 3rd real pass done the track torched the head and block on pump gas with my kb 2.2 i went to the 3.4 but would not use it under 25# under that your not using it to its potential dont get me wrong the blower is great you'll make great number and run the numbers, but it really wakes up after 25#, but the kb 2.8 is a great blower if you look around the maca section you'll see a jrsblownsnake switched to the 3.4 and went 9.2 compared to his 9.7 i think on the 2.8

Thanks for the replies so far folks.

Interesting about the Heads. It was the SVT tuner who suggested the FR500's and the FRPP cams. There are a couple other Cobras around here running them and no issues so far. I would think this tuner was "tuned" in as to what works and what doesn't.

I'll try to find the fellow you mentioned and see what he says. I would like to keep the factory hood, but with that bigger huffer, maybe it's time for something more radical!!

Mr. Couper

Established Member
i believe he went 9.7 with the 3.4 and then changed to the updated inlet and ran a 9.2. you can change the lower pulley and keep the stock hood with a 3.8 pulley. hsssvt on here ran his with stock motor and had several upper 9 runs. get the 3.4 for a fe bucks more and you will have a lot of room to grow. i should have mine on within the next month. had to send it in for the new inlet. the new ones come with the new inlet already. hpp is also working on an inlet that had crazy gains, which foof has on his car now. i would stay away from the fr500s and just have yours worked on. make sure you build your bottom end while your at it with upgraded rods and pistons.

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
Alot of those guys in those post seem to be running the 3.4 kinda low on the boost side. I would want to see at least 25lbs on the 3.4 anything lower then that seems that you could do on a 2.3 or 2.4. Who knows though either way its a hell of a blower.

Mike_Galimi

Established Member
We ran a 3.4L on our in-house Lightning, the Fridge, and ran out of fuel. It is a bad dude. The pulley configuration is interesting, just be sure to not spin the blower too hard, the truck saw 32 psi of boost as soon as D'Amore laid into it. It was backed down from there, 32 was way more than we wanted to run.

The biggest question is, what kind of power do you want to make? The KB 2.8 could fill the need for a serious, serious street ride. If you are running pump gas, the extra boost capabilities aren't going to be realized with a larger supercharger.

firemedic

EH!
Established Member
We ran a 3.4L on our in-house Lightning, the Fridge, and ran out of fuel. It is a bad dude. The pulley configuration is interesting, just be sure to not spin the blower too hard, the truck saw 32 psi of boost as soon as D'Amore laid into it. It was backed down from there, 32 was way more than we wanted to run.

The biggest question is, what kind of power do you want to make? The KB 2.8 could fill the need for a serious, serious street ride. If you are running pump gas, the extra boost capabilities aren't going to be realized with a larger supercharger.

It is a weekend car only that will have 2 tunes. Street with the boost knocked down and track w/ Torco.

32 PSI is crazy wild.

97samssnake

Established Member

What kind of fuel system were you running? What kind of numbers were you expecting to get out of it?

Mike_Galimi

Established Member
It was a JDM fuel system taht worked perfectly with the smaller Whipple but the bigger one is just a bad dude. We have Aeromotive fuel rails coming and some other stuff that JDM told us to run. Remember, the 32 psi was also on a 5.4-liter engine. It is a sick piece.

Users who are viewing this thread