calling all detailers

RB88

Established Member
Ok, so I got me a Porter Cable #7336s dual action sander/polisher. I have three questions: 1. Do you use the sponge to apply & take off the wax/polish, or just to apply. 2. When putting the wax on do you just continue buffing till it comes back off. In other words do you put it on with the polisher and take it off with a towel? 3. Ihave two six inch polishing bonnets; do I need them, and if so when do I use them? Thanks for answering these "rookie" questions:) Later...

Juiced-03

Established Member
I have never used a Porter Cable myself, but I do know you picked an excellent product. I use a rotary so I would be comparing apples to oranges. I am not really clear on your questions though.

I normally put the polish (about a quarter size) on the paint, then put the pad directly on top of the polish. Hold the pad flat against the paint then turn on the buffer. Go slow and keep the pad moving. Work the polish into the paint until the panel is dry and the product is gone. Do not work the buffer into the paint for very long if the panel is dry of polish. You want to keep the panel wet. Once it dries you can move on to another spot. Any excess can be wiped up with a micro fiber towel, but you should really let the machine do the all the work. You will get enough where the tool will do all the work and you wont need to use a towel!

I would recommend hand applying and removing wax though. Polish and glaze should be applied with the Porter Cable though. What products do you plan on using?

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
I would like to know as well. I bought my 7336sp last night at Lowes for $106. total out the door. It was priced at 109 and I got the military discount on top of that. :)

I ordered another pad and some terry cloth bonnets that fit over the 6 inch pads. Will share my experiences when I get and use the bonnets.

Ken

:beer: :beer:

TRBO VNM

not sure if anyone followed that link in the other thread that described the different porter cable models, but if so it appeared to have contradicting info. It mentioned the counterweights that were used for each size wheel and said you shouldn't interchange the weights and wheels. That they are matching, but then it said that the 7424 came with one wheel size but the opposite counterweight. It didn't make sense since it just said you can't interchange them.

anyone see this? I am planning on going to lowes this weekend to check out their models.

Juiced, have you tried putting the zaino on and then putting the Carnuba Moose wax over it?

Last edited:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Originally posted by kens03cobra
I would like to know as well. I bought my 7336sp last night at Lowes for $106. total out the door. It was priced at 109 and I got the military discount on top of that. :)

I ordered another pad and some terry cloth bonnets that fit over the 6 inch pads. Will share my experiences when I get and use the bonnets.

Ken

:beer: :beer:

Ken,
where the hell u been? At sea? Your predecessor showed up!!!!!

svt03cobra10th

Established Member
Hello all you Navy guys. I am an NC1(SS) here in Arkansas. Anyway, I kind of feel sorry for you guys that spent $100 on that Porter Cable buffer. I took a chance, spent $20 on a random orbital buffer in the automotive section at walmart. Even came with a 20' ext cord. I use Meguiars Deep Crystal 3 stage system. My car looks wet and about 3' deep all the time. I use all three stages once a month and then the polish and carnuba every weekend. Anyway there is my $.02. Have a great day.

TRBO VNM

hey juiced or anybody else, I have a brand new bottle of the clearkote vanilla moose hand glaze if you want to buy it. hasn't been opened or used at all. Or if you have zaino z2, zfx or Z10 leather in a bottle you want to trade let me know. I decided to try some other things.

MikeW

Established Member
Originally posted by svt03cobra10th
Hello all you Navy guys. I am an NC1(SS) here in Arkansas. Anyway, I kind of feel sorry for you guys that spent $100 on that Porter Cable buffer. I took a chance, spent $20 on a random orbital buffer in the automotive section at walmart. Even came with a 20' ext cord. I use Meguiars Deep Crystal 3 stage system. My car looks wet and about 3' deep all the time. I use all three stages once a month and then the polish and carnuba every weekend. Anyway there is my $.02. Have a great day.

I bought a Simonize kit that had two buffers in it and they seem to work great. I would upgrade to a PC or the like if Jucied or one of the other detail guru's could give me good reasons to switch.

The one I like the best is a 7inch random orbital..seems to work like a charm:??:

CobraNHYEE

Established Member
Originally posted by RB88
Ok, so I got me a Porter Cable #7336s dual action sander/polisher. I have three questions: 1. Do you use the sponge to apply & take off the wax/polish, or just to apply. 2. When putting the wax on do you just continue buffing till it comes back off. In other words do you put it on with the polisher and take it off with a towel? 3. Ihave two six inch polishing bonnets; do I need them, and if so when do I use them? Thanks for answering these "rookie" questions:) Later...

Excellent info in here:beer:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=1430487&page=1

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by 97topless snake
I would upgrade to a PC or the like if Jucied or one of the other detail guru's could give me good reasons to switch.

I really cant tell you to upgrade if the one you are using now is doing the job! If you have swirls that wont come out, then yes a PC might be good for you. But otherwise I see no reason to spend more money. Hell, anything is better than doing it by hand :coolman:

MikeW

Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced-03
I really cant tell you to upgrade if the one you are using now is doing the job! If you have swirls that wont come out, then yes a PC might be good for you. But otherwise I see no reason to spend more money. Hell, anything is better than doing it by hand :coolman:

Cool thanks for the positive reply. I do know that my buffer is only about 2,800 rpms and that the PC will go up to 6,000 I think. I may upgrade when I get better at using the one that I have. I did get my black 97 Cobra back a few weeks ago and it does need some swirl help.

Thanks again:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread