Calling Bay Area Terminators

HardHitter2k4

Established Member
I originally posted this in the Terminator Talk area, because I didn't know there was a California section...

Anyway, I was just browsing around this forum and I've seen quite a few users from the Bay Area. I was wondering if any 03/04 Cobra drivers wanted to meet up so I could check out their car and maybe give me a ride in the car. I'm in the middle of selling a headers/cam 2005 GTO right now.

I'm in Santa Clara right by the Santa Clara University.

I'm actually free tonight if you want to meet up. I'm supposed to be studying for finals, but I guess it'd be a nice study break.

While we are on the topics, once I sell the GTO, I'm looking to either get into a C5 Z06 or a LSx RX7 or MAYBE a 2003/2004 Cobra. From what all the GTO guys and just everyone in general says, the car is pretty easy to make 600-700 to the wheels? What kind of upgrades/costs would I be looking at? Would I have to do motor work (forged engine is it not?) or just upgrade blower and some other mods?

Hope to meet some of you guys soon!

P.S. A long while back, I'm pretty sure I may have ran into one of your members. Blue Cobra and we were both getting on 87 from 280. He was infront of me on the ramp and took the turn sideways. I pulled up next to him and tried to talk to him but couldn't really hear over both our cars, he either had a ported blower or a Kenne Bell, but it was a badass car!

Last edited:

SLPRCTM

Established Member
To get into the 600hp range, these cars usually will need a whipple/kenne bell twin screw super charger upgrade, fuel pump upgrade, larger injectors, upgraded fuel pump driver module and a tune. You are correct that our motors have a full forged bottom end. These cars are a blast to drive especially if you like sleeper type cars. They sound pretty stockish, drive stock (even when heavily modified) and are considered "just a mustang" until you smack the "go pedal" and surprise the hell out of people. It is a little late for me to cruise around right now. :) Maybe some other time.......

HardHitter2k4

Established Member
So after selling my GTO, I'm looking at something that is a mix of comfortable, looks nice and powerful/future potential.

My top pick right now is a C5 Z06. I came from a 94 RX7 to my GTO and really missed how light of a car the RX7 was compared to the heavy 3875lbs (or something like that) GTO. If I picked up a C5Z I would likely have to pull a $4-5k loan to get a low mileage/stock Z06 which I would then have to pay off and then I could start modding it from there.

If I looked at a Cobra, I could probably find an already KB/Whippled Cobra for around my price limit ($23-$24k) maybe? I know the Cobra isn't the lightest and best handling car either, compared to the Vette, but how could you NOT have fun with 600-700rwhp sitting at your foot.

My question to you guys would be, is there more potential in the Cobra or Z06 once I open mod money. Once a Cobra hits KB/Whipple charger and that 600-700rwhp, where does it go from there if it wants more power? A stock Z already puts down around 380-390 to the wheels. Add turbos/sc and you can get them into the 500-600rwhp too at a lighter car than the Cobra and still pulling 20+mpg.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Comparing the Z06 to the Cobra is not exactly apples to apples. The Vette is a corner carver with no back seat designed for high speeds. The Stang is a new age muscle car with a back seat that relies on brute power to push it through whatever you throw at it. What car you decide on really depends on your long-term plans. Basically, do you want a back seat or not and are you drawn more towards refinement or just globs of raw power? I get about 22-25 mpg out of my stang. Also, imo, the cobra will continue to keep it's stock type reliability and driveability even though heavily modified as the Vette may loose some of it's refinement the more you modify it. I thought about a bunch of cars before buying my Cobra. Even looked at a V-8 Esprit Lotus. The Cobra just had the entire package with power, looks, ease in modifying and a back seat for future additions to the family... ;-) :beer:

Last edited:

68gtscode

Established Member
I'm not going to try to talk you into a Terminator- you have to decide on what you'd be happiest with. I considered buying a number of different cars (including a vette) before I bought my Terminator and sunk a bunch of money in it. I have close to twice into the car than what it is probably worth. This means I plan on keeping it around for a while. There are only a few domestic cars ever made that I would be happy with long term, years down the road. For example, if I was around back in 1970 and bought a Boss 302, I would still be happy with it today. Terminators are also such a car to me.

Although vettes are nice cars, and probably technically better performing cars in many ways, 10 years from now they will be an old, used, aging sports car that I'll probably be embarrassed to drive. At a minimum I'd want to replace it with a newer vette. Case in point- C5 Z06s. Nice enough cars, but they already look dated in relation to C6s and don't wear that well. If I were going to buy a vette today, I wouldn't even mess with a C5 Z06... regular C6s have more power, are better cars, and cost about the same.

My two cents!

FEARLE5S

www.SALINASRACING.com
Established Member
It is a little late for me to cruise around right now. :) Maybe some other time.......

where u located SLPRCTM? very nice vert. front windshield tinted?

C5 z06 is a different animal all its own. i could have had a c5z06 but decided on the cobra just because of ease of making 500whp which was my goal.... was being the key word. pulley port tune exhaust intake your somewhere in the 500/500 range....

on the other hand i do plan on buying a c6 as a daily driver when i sell my truck.

Last edited:

SLPRCTM

Established Member
I'm in Pacifica but I have family that lives near you in the Salinas area. The windshield is not tinted and all the other windows are only 35%. I just had good lighting and angles on the pic. Thanks for the compliment!

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Actually, my wife works for chp and I am in the application proccess for chp. The tag on the car started off as a joke for my friends that are already on the force. You guys should join in on Cherries Jubelee this year and go for a cruise. I'm propbably going with some family....

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Cool! One thing you might want to look into, if you haven't already, is insurance pricing on the three vehicles you are considering. Just a thought... Good luck on your search! :)

Users who are viewing this thread