calling POINTCOVER

SnakeDriver97

Newly Minted Ensign
Established Member
POINTCOVER, I'm assuming from your posts that your a LEO, although you don't explicitly say it anywhere. If not, you know a lot about law enforcement. Anyway, I have a question that may be useful to everyone. I've heard of LEO's using there own cars in some states for patroling, for example Texas used to or continues to. I was wondering if it's the same in Maryland. Last fall I was cruising up 97 and I saw a red 99+ mustang up the road aways. I sped up to see if he/she wanted to play, but as I got closer I saw lights on the rear window, then obviously backed off. Thinking it was a volunteer fireman or medic I later blew it off, but a week later a buddy of mine saw the same car with its lights flashing at BWI (Baltimore Wash. Int'l Airport). I was wondering if you could enlighten me/us.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
The only time I know of anyone around here using their own vehicles was back in 93 and 94 when we had blizzard conditions, guys were using their own trucks to answer calls because the cruisers couldn't make it through the snow. Some states use drug seizure and confiscated vehicles????

POINTCOVER

Established Member
To answer your questions, yes I am a Police Officer.

My guess is that it was a undercover narcotics vehicle. Could you see what color the lights were? Blue lights means law enforcement, red usually fire department. It all depends.

Can we use our personal vehicles to conduct police duties? Only in extreme circumstances. Does it happen anyway? I'm sure it does.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by POINTCOVER
To answer your questions, yes I am a Police Officer.

My guess is that it was a undercover narcotics vehicle. Could you see what color the lights were? Blue lights means law enforcement, red usually fire department. It all depends.

Can we use our personal vehicles to conduct police duties? Only in extreme circumstances. Does it happen anyway? I'm sure it does.

And herein lies some confusion. In NY/NJ blue lights are used for Volunteer firemen and first aid with a permit. Red Lights are Law Enforcement and Emergency Vehicles(fire and first aid). Some Law enforcement have both Red and Blue.

Our cars(Federal) have red and blue flashers in the grille.

We use seized vehicles all the time at least until they are sold at auction.

As for personal vehicles, the practice in this area is discouraged because of insurance issues. But when assigned to road work or during emergency conditions personal vehicles are approved.

SnakeDriver97

Newly Minted Ensign
Established Member
They were red & blue lights. I'm originally from western NY and just like FordSVTFan said, police cars have red & blue, volunteer fire and first responders use blue in their personal vehicles and emergency vehicles use red. Anyway, Pointcover, if you patrol on or around 97 and you see a black cobra or a red C4 fly by...could you just wave please?!? :-D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread