caltracs

ra1nmakr

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
i checked the How To threads and did not find this any where in there. i am about to get some Caltracs traction bars and i was wondering how hard and what tools i was going to need to do this job. i am pretty knowledgable when it comes to vehicles although i try and research as much as possible before i jump in. thank you for all the imput that i can get. this is going to be the first of many mods to follow. if it helps any i have an '01 lightning

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
i never installed any sets of traction bars yet, but im sure it comes with some instructions....might only need a ratchet and socket set

ra1nmakr

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
that is what i figured. i was just hoping that i wasnt going to need a lift or something like that. i have ramps here at the house and i have all the sockets.

Peanut Racn

Established Member
You will need a drill and a dremel, die grinder(air works best) tool. You have to drill out the front rubber bushing from the front spring eye. Then take sand drums and clean the surface of the eye to fit the new aluminum bushing. This part of the install takes the longest. If you don't have these tools it sucks.
Josh

ra1nmakr

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
cool. i have those things, i have to in order to use most of the things in my garage. how long should it take if i have the help of a friend or 2?

tweetersvt

Established Member
the first set i did it took about 4 hours but I went step by step. the secont time i did a set on my friends L it took about 2 1/2 but I cheated and melted the bushings with a torch. If you do this, do it in slow steps so as not to weaken the spring. heat it up enough to just melt the bushing to the point of running, stop and do it again.

Users who are viewing this thread