cam degreeing.

fredfred

Established Member
Who in Houston knows how to degree Cams.

I called PSI in Webster talked 1 of the guys and he said they did. After droping off my motor and waiting a few days. I just wanted to check and see if they needed anything else. The guy I spoke with said they do not degree cams they just install them straight up. So I will be picking up my engine in the morning and trying to find a company that knows how to degree my cams.

Anybody have any ideas on a good place that knows how to do it??

Let me know!!!!

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
They're afraid. I know someone in Dallas and also in Abilene but that's a bit of a drive.

What about Houston Performance?

fredfred

Established Member
Well after several phone calls. I will be dropping my motor off at Fast Lanes on Monday. Hopefully have it back late in the week...

fredfred

Established Member
Well got the motor back from FASTLANE a few weeks ago from getting the cams degreed. Had the cams checked by my guy doing the build and are NOT degreed correctly!!!!!! Sent e-mail to get this matter taken care of.... I am now wanting them to come out to my shop and DEGREE THEM CORRECTLY!!!! I am so PISSED! Will update after they contact me in the morning....

Last edited:

fredfred

Established Member
I spent alot of money to get my cams degreed. My intake is set at 109. But my exhaust is way off. The exhaust is at 106. It should be at 113. I am glad I had them checked. I have invested alot of money in this motor. I would have been pissed if something would have gotten broke and damaged my polished and ported heads or my stroked teksid block or my stroker assembly. I have left them a few messages and tried to call them sevweral times. Have not heard anything as of yet... Will update.....

vadorsnake04

Established Member
Whoever you had check the cam degreeing should be able to degree them for you. If they have the tools to check the cams then they have all but a dremel tool to degree them themselves. Why don't they just do it?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I spent alot of money to get my cams degreed. My intake is set at 109. But my exhaust is way off. The exhaust is at 106. It should be at 113. I am glad I had them checked. I have invested alot of money in this motor. I would have been pissed if something would have gotten broke and damaged my polished and ported heads or my stroked teksid block or my stroker assembly. I have left them a few messages and tried to call them sevweral times. Have not heard anything as of yet... Will update.....

Nothing would have been damaged with the exh cams at 106, but the power would have suffered.

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Exhaust is where it is at on these and any force fed motors. Get them degreed correctly. Every 4.6L engine that has a cam swap needs to be degreed. I think mine were off about 5-8 straight up. Reports are out there that some cams have been off 20 degrees.

fredfred

Established Member
well just got the phone with them. They told me I did not check them right. He said the only way to check the exhaust side of the cams is to pull the timing chains off. I now have no faith in the work they have done. I have been reading alot of web pages about degreeing cams and checking them. I have never read anything about pulling the chains to check??? Anyone ever heard of this?? I think once you pull the chains you loose the timing and set up completely.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
well just got the phone with them. They told me I did not check them right. He said the only way to check the exhaust side of the cams is to pull the timing chains off. I now have no faith in the work they have done. I have been reading alot of web pages about degreeing cams and checking them. I have never read anything about pulling the chains to check??? Anyone ever heard of this?? I think once you pull the chains you loose the timing and set up completely.

That is bullshlt, plain and simple. You cannot degree or even check the exhaust cams with the chains removed.

How much did they charge you to degree the cams?

Last edited:

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
I suggest you talk to Racebronco2 he's a member on here with a C/O cobra, he knows how to degree cams and is going to degree mine as well. He should be able to tell you the proper way of checking the cams..

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I suggest you talk to Racebronco2 he's a member on here with a C/O cobra, he knows how to degree cams and is going to degree mine as well. He should be able to tell you the proper way of checking the cams..

A lot of people can educate him on how to do it, but most aren't comfortable doing it themselves. They'd rather pay someone experienced to do the dirty work as was the case here.

Last edited:

fredfred

Established Member
A lot of people can educate him on how to do it, but most aren't comfortable doing it themselves. They'd rather pay someone experienced to do the dirty work as was the case here.

I work at a Ford dealership. My techs have never needed to degree cams. Stock is different they also are not degreed.. I also don't have all of the tools.

That is why I sent it out.

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member

True, I'm doing the same don't want to risk it on my end..

fredfred

Established Member
Just wanted to update on whats going on with my engine...
Still have not heard from Mike at Fastlane. When we spoke last Friday he was going to get with the tech that degreed the cams. Thank call me on Monday Dec 03/2012. Left a message yesterday and than today. If I do not speak to him tomorrow I will take it a step further..

fredfred

Established Member
Well after alot of e-mailing and calling. They have agreed to come by my shop and pick up the motor and do the job correctly. They should be out monday to pick it up.
Will update.

Users who are viewing this thread