cam info:

vita

Established Member
hey guys, I know theres the cam basics. Im trying to read over it and its in a TOTALLY different language. Heres a few things I didnt see covered...

what are the supporting mods needed for an aftermarket cam?

also, would a 98/97/96 cobra cam be worth swapping over to a 99 cobra?

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
hey guys, I know theres the cam basics. Im trying to read over it and its in a TOTALLY different language. Heres a few things I didnt see covered...

what are the supporting mods needed for an aftermarket cam?

also, would a 98/97/96 cobra cam be worth swapping over to a 99 cobra?

96-98 intake cams are slightly more aggressive but the exhaust cams are the same in all mod engines IIRC. What are your goals for the car? Are you staying n/a or going f/i?

vita

Established Member
Plan on staying n/a. The problem is that I am in college. Little parts here and there are excellent.... 3 grand for a supercharger wont work for me. I can justify spending 1k on a cam though. Just trying to get everything priced and together to see if I should even be looking at the possibility of camming the thing. Thats also why I wondered about the supporting mods... if there are other things that need (or should) be done before that happens.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
$1000-$1200 for cams
$350 for springs
$100 for retainers
A few more dollars for VC and front cover gaskets

96-98 cams only have 4 degrees more duration than the 99/01s so it wouldn't be worth the trouble to install them.

LTs and gears are the only mods you need.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Cams are great no doubt, but you need to do every other bolt on first. The stock cams actually support a good deal of power and your intake will choke off bigger cams and they just won't match up with other parts. Plus, they are very labor intensive. It's possible to do in the car, but just barely. You really have to pull the motor.

Cold air intake, gears, headers, crosspipe, shifter, catback, and a canned tune will make a huge difference for you.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
^ I prefer dyno tune... but yea that's a good start and will soak up that 1K plus some.

And we didn't even mention IRS upgrades, alum flywheel, alum driveshaft, intake porting, subframe connectors, and the t-45 is usually inadequate..... I won't fool with the cams right now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread