Cam relearn with mods?

got_h8rs?

Established Member
I installed a new clutch and no engine lights I decided to to a cam relearn for precautions I did it with the ford Ids it stopped half way through and now have p0315 engine light on. Can't get the car to relearn with the Ids or the x4. Car has 10% overdrive, scj mono, JLT intake Lund tune, full exhaust. Any info would be great

Thanks

railroad

Established Member
I had to put the stock tune back in my car, before the X4 would do anything. After that, it went flawless.
Hope that helps. I do not know if you needed the KAM reset.

got_h8rs?

Established Member
I had to put the stock tune back in my car, before the X4 would do anything. After that, it went flawless.
Hope that helps. I do not know if you needed the KAM reset.

Did you do the test with factory tune in vehicle? What mods do you have?

railroad

Established Member
Did you do the test with factory tune in vehicle? What mods do you have?

I am not familiar with the factory test. My mods are in my signature. Crank relearn done prior to the o/r pipe.
I think SCT recommends re installing the factory tune before letting the dealer do any testing.
You will have to be more specific about what you have, have done and what is happening. Lotsa smarter guys on here and will jump in, I am sure.

Wiseguy

Established Member
I had this same issue, with a customers car. Just wanted to make sure Neutral profile was relearned before transit back to his state. Had to have a misfire monitors turned back on in the tune before I could relearn it with Ford IDS. I could not Relearn also with stock tune because car was heavily modded. Also, this only ever needs to be done on a gt500 if you mess with the lower pulley and most of the time its not needed.

got_h8rs?

Established Member
I had this same issue, with a customers car. Just wanted to make sure Neutral profile was relearned before transit back to his state. Had to have a misfire monitors turned back on in the tune before I could relearn it with Ford IDS. I could not Relearn also with stock tune because car was heavily modded. Also, this only ever needs to be done on a gt500 if you mess with the lower pulley and most of the time its not needed.

Car isn't heavily modded just simple bolt ons but it's being a pain to relearn for some reason. I rechecked the pulley all the wires etc.
Is there any special trick to doing the relearn that I am missing?

got_h8rs?

Established Member
I've checked and tried everything short of pulling the clutch and the pulley off. I replaced the cam sensor, the pcm, it won't learn the misfire monitor with the tune on or the stock tune.

railroad

Established Member
You are not telling me anything I can work with. Maybe the other buys know what you are doing and what error you are getting or what steps you are following, I do not.
For me the battery has to be fully charged, all accessories shut off, hood down, do not open the door during processing, etc. That's just me. You are using the X4 tuner? What is the display? Can you drive the car? Do you have a CEI on?

got_h8rs?

Established Member
You are not telling me anything I can work with. Maybe the other buys know what you are doing and what error you are getting or what steps you are following, I do not.
For me the battery has to be fully charged, all accessories shut off, hood down, do not open the door during processing, etc. That's just me. You are using the X4 tuner? What is the display? Can you drive the car? Do you have a CEI on?

Ive used the x4 and the ford Ids. On x4 says failed relearn/too many attempts made. On ford Ids it gets to step 3/10 and reverts Back to beginning. I can drive the car everything is like normal except engine light stays on p0315 code.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Possible Causes:
Damaged crankshaft pulse wheel teeth
Damaged crankshaft position (CKP) sensor

Diagnostic Aids:
Requires visual inspection of the CKP sensor and the crankshaft pulse wheel teeth for damage.

Profile Correction
Profile correction software is used to learn and correct for mechanical inaccuracies in the crankshaft position wheel tooth spacing. Since the sum of all the angles between the crankshaft teeth must equal 360 degrees, a correction factor can be calculated for each misfire sample interval that makes all the angles between individual teeth equal. The LDR system learns one profile correction factor per cylinder (that is, 3 correction factors for a 3 cylinder engine or 4 correction factors for a 4 cylinder engine), while the HDR system learns 36, 40 or 60 correction factors depending on the number of crankshaft wheel teeth (that is, 35 for some V6 and V8 engines, 39 for V10 engines and 58 for some I4 and V6 engines).

The corrections are calculated from several engine cycles of misfire sample interval data. The correction factors are the average of a selected number of samples. In order to assure the accuracy of these corrections, a tolerance is placed on the incoming values such that an individual correction factor must be repeatable within the tolerance during learning. This is to reduce the possibility of learning incorrect corrections due to crankshaft velocity disturbances.

Since inaccuracies in the wheel tooth spacing can produce a false indication of misfire, the misfire monitor is not active until the corrections are learned.

Two methods of learning profile correction are used. The first is neutral profile correction and non volatile memory and the second is customer drive cycle for profile correction 97 to 64 km/h (60 to 40 MPH deceleration).

Neutral Profile Correction And Non Volatile Memory
Neutral profile learning is used at end of line to learn profile correction through a series of one or more neutral engine RPM throttle snaps. This allows the misfire monitor to be activated at the assembly plant. A scan tool command is required to enable neutral profile correction learning. Learning profile correction factors at high speed (3,000 RPM) neutral conditions versus during 97 to 64 km/h (60 to 40 MPH) decelerations optimizes correction factors for higher RPMs where they are most needed and eliminates driveline or transmission and road noise effects. This improves signal to noise characteristics which means improved detection capability.

The profile correction factors learned at the assembly plant are stored into non volatile memory. This eliminates the need for specific customer drive cycles. However, misfire profiles may need to be relearned using a scan tool procedure if major engine work is done or a new PCM is installed. Relearning is not required for a reflash.

On selected vehicles, the neutral profile correction strategy is the only method used for profile correction learning. In the event of a loss of non volatile memory content (new PCM installed), the correction factors are lost and must be relearned. The P0315 DTC is set until the misfire profile is relearned using a scan tool procedure.

Customer Drive Cycle For Profile Correction (60 To 40 MPH Deceleration)
To prevent any fueling or combustion differences from affecting the correction factors, learning is done during deceleration fuel shut off (DFSO). This can be done during closed throttle, nonbraking, defueled decelerations in the 97 to 64 km/h (60 to 40 MPH) range after exceeding 97 km/h (60 MPH) (likely to correspond to a freeway exit condition). In order to minimize the learning time for the correction factors, a more aggressive DFSO strategy may be used when the conditions for learning are present. The corrections are typically learned in a single 97 to 64 km/h (60 to 40 MPH) deceleration, but may take up to 3 decelerations or a greater number of shorter decelerations.

If the software is unable to learn a profile after three, 97 to 64 km/h (60 to 40 MPH) deceleration cycles, DTC P0315 is set.

Misfire Detection Monitor Specifications
Misfire detection monitor operation: DTCs P0300 to P0310 (random and specific cylinder misfire), P1336 (noisy crank sensor, no crankshaft and camshaft sensor synchronization), P0315 (crankshaft position system variation not learned), P0316 (misfire detected on startup [first 1000 revolutions]), P0313 (misfire detect with low fuel level). The monitor execution is continuous, misfire rate calculated every 200 or 1,000 revolutions. The monitor does not have a specific sequence. The CKP, CMP, MAF, and ECT or CHT sensors have to be operating correctly to run the monitor. The monitoring duration is the entire driving cycle (see disablement conditions below).

Typical misfire detection monitor entry conditions: Minimum to maximum time since engine startup is 0 seconds, engine coolant temperature is -7°C to 121°C (20°F to 250°F), RPM range is (full-range misfire certified, with 2 revolution delay) 2 revolutions after exceeding 150 RPM below drive idle RPM to red line on tach or fuel cutoff, profile correction factors are learned in KAM, and the fuel tank level is greater than 15%.

Typical misfire temporary disablement conditions: Closed throttle deceleration (negative torque, engine being driven), Fuel shut off due to vehicle speed limiting or engine RPM limiting mode, a high rate of change of torque (heavy throttle tip-in or tip out) and rough road conditions.

The profile learning operation includes DTC P0315 if the profile correction factors are not learned. On selected vehicles, DTC P0315 is set immediately after a new PCM is installed until the scan tool procedure for neutral profile correction is completed. On all other vehicles, DTC P0315 is set if profile learning does not complete during the customer drive cycle for profile correction. The monitoring duration for the customer drive cycle is 10 cumulative seconds in conditions (a maximum of three, 97 to 64 km/h (60 to 40 MPH) de-fueled decelerations). The monitor execution is once per profile learning sequence. The monitor sequence: profile must be learned before the misfire monitor is active, the CKP and CMP sensors are required to be operating correctly; and the CKP and CMP signals must be synchronized.

Assembly plant or repair facility typical profile learning entry conditions from minimum to maximum: The engine in deceleration fuel shut off (DFSO) mode for 4 engine cycles with the vehicle in PARK or NEUTRAL gear. The engine RPM is 2,000 to 3,000 RPM. The learning tolerance is 1%.

Customer drive cycle typical profile learning entry conditions from minimum to maximum: The engine in deceleration fuel shut off mode for 4 engine cycles. The brakes are not applied. The engine RPM is 1,300 to 3,700 RPM and the change is less than 600 RPM. The vehicle speed is 48 to 121 km/h (30 to 75 MPH). The learning tolerance is 1%

Last edited:

Wiseguy

Established Member
I understand, I couldn't flash back to stock and complete The reset because the mods done to this car.

You need to flash back to stock and then complete the Reset //or get tuner to turn on/or change settings with the Misfire monitors.

It has nothing to do with work performed to car or anything loose...
Follow IDS instructions when car is warmed up to necessary temperature like normal.

Car isn't heavily modded just simple bolt ons but it's being a pain to relearn for some reason. I rechecked the pulley all the wires etc.

Wiseguy

Established Member
I understand, I couldn't flash back to stock and complete The reset because the mods done to this car.

You need to flash back to stock and then try to complete the Reset //or get tuner to turn on/or change settings with the Misfire monitors and or idle decel

It has nothing to do with work performed to car or anything loose...
Follow IDS instructions when car is warmed up to necessary temperature like normal.
Most people do not bother with the reset as stated, but once you start it then has to be completed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread