Cam tower movement?

'00project

Mystic '96
Established Member
I have mostly finished me build. Stroked 5.4, GT heads w/ crower cams, R intake, 11.7 compression. I was getting the engine up to temp to take a log to finish my tune. When the engine got to temp it started squealing like a blet staring in cold weather and stalled dead from 1,200 RPM. It restarted just fine then did the same thing a couple minutes later. I have not started the engine since. Checked belt and pullies, pressure tested the cooling system, oil pressure shows good, but that is from the sensor. I have not pulled an oil plug from the back of a head to take a reading from up top. The cams spun good when assembling the engine. The only thing I can think of is an oiling problem and the cam journal comes to mind first. Any info or experience would be appreciated.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Drain the oil and look for glitter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

'00project

Mystic '96
Established Member
I did, no glitter, but I will take some oil to check again that you mentioned it. The first post was the second time I got the engine git to temp. The first time the sqealing started I thought it was the belt slip and shut it down and added another idler pulley, there is a spot for one I was not using. The oil was darker than I thought it should be for a new build, so changed it. Checked for glitter and put a magnet in the drained oil. Everything looked good. Talked to the guy helping me tune, he asked how the oil smelled. Said it should smell like fuel due to haw rich the first starts were while getting the base tune.

Users who are viewing this thread