Cam upgrade

BiLL1024

Established Member
Hi
I am thinking of doing the cam and gears this winter/spring.
Looks like the e303 or the steeda #18 is what everyone likes .
Any idea what HP I would gain with just the few add ons I have ?Does the e303 give the car a nice idle sound so you know the cam is in there ?
I am thinking 3.55's cause it seems like I spin alot of tire as it is with the 308's . May do the cam first and see before doing the gears and see how the car reacts. The car is a weekend driver and maybe a trip to the track a couple times now and then.
Thanks
Bill

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
The E cam is a good choice, but instead of the #18, I would go with the #19, or maybe the Trick Flow stage 1, I love mine. The 3.55s are a good choice also.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Don't bother with 3.55's..go with 3.73's. E-cam responds well from what I have seen with the GT-40 heads that come on the cobra

93deznutsblown

Could be faster than u!!!
Established Member
I have the e303 cam and it has a bu-timus sound, i love it. With a h-pipe (no cats),2 chamber flows with stock rear pipes. I'll soon have some vid downloaded so you can hear it.:rockon: :rockon:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
The #18 cam hits the ground pretty hard with an idle of 850 rpm or so. If you are at all concerned about drivability between 1200-1800 rpm, better to go with a milder cam to be on the safe side.

I would go with the 3.73 gears.

psucobra

Established Member
I ran the E-Cam in my first 93 cobra years ago with 3.55 gears. FWIW I really didnt like that combo much for a daily driver the cam and gears seemed to be miss matched. The small increase in HP (15 or so HP) was not worth the surging idle and driveability issues. Sounded mean as hell though! I would go with a custom cam or something more streetable Shop around there are a lot better cams out there than the "E" imho!

93deznutsblown

Could be faster than u!!!
Established Member
I have no driveability problems w/ my e303 cam. I run it with a kb sc and no issues.

I've also ran the b303 cam, with 3.55's, alum heads and
150shot of nitro. it was a beast ,best run on slicks...11.44@118.
Although, off the nittro the best i could muster was a 13.6@103.
The cam and head combo took away enuff low-end torque it would bog outta the hole.:( So I changed to 4.10's and on radials
with a 1.95 60ft it went 13.10 at 105. I never ran a full pass with the squeeze cuz I'd run out of rpm with the 4.10's. And then 2 weeks after that it was stolen and never found again. .:mj: :mj: :cuss: :fm: :fm: :fm: :fm: :cuss: :mj: :fm:

IETZR1S

Established Member
run the B-303. If you look into the ford racing catalog they tell you outright that it makes more power than the E-303. The B cam will pass calif. smog and is a better cam than the E. make more power with something from Lunati

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Originally posted by IETZR1S
run the B-303. If you look into the ford racing catalog they tell you outright that it makes more power than the E-303. The B cam will pass calif. smog and is a better cam than the E. make more power with something from Lunati

You might want to re-read your FRPP catalog. you have your statement backwords. E-cam passes smog not the B.

Anyways, do you have experience with the b-cam? Or are you paper racing?Cause I do. The cam sucks! It has a nice lope but does not make the power the e-cam does. I have on my dyno sheets where I picked up about 15rwhp going from stock cam to the 'b' cam. I dropped a tenth of a second off my 1/4 miles and added pretty much NO mph. A e-cam, headers, and 3.73 gears will get you in the 12's in a otherwise stock 93 cobra. I watched a 93 cobra do it to me. Both of us on slicks he ran roughly 6/10 of second faster than me (b-cammed 93 cobra) in the 1/4.

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
I wonder why some people have drivability issues with the E-cam and some don't? That would be a mod I would look into in the future, but I don't want to make my car a PITA to drive for a little more power.

IETZR1S

Established Member
I have been using the B-303 in some of the cars i build for over 12 years.When i say it will pass calif. smog that is Fact. I am not saying ford says it will pass I am just letting you know that it does. On the top of page 5 of the FRPP 2003 catalog it says 302ci with 345hp w/B-303 and 340hp with E-303. I had a notch back that ran 11.90s at 114 with cast iron GT-40 heads and a B-303
and a bunch of low 12 n/a cars. Pulled a Z cam out of a 347 with a t-trim put a Lunati in and made a peak of 33hp on the dyno.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
You have been lucky then. In person I have seen no good come from the 'b' cam.

Hell two weeks ago, I watched a buddy of mine go 13.4's on drag radials with my factory GT-40's, e-cam, and his e7 intake. That is two tenths better than my car ever went on slicks with the b-cam and a gt-40 intake. Oh and its not because of my driving either.

IETZR1S

Established Member
what is you timing, fuel pressure, pump, injectors mass air? what about plugs, and basic set up. Before you pull the cam I will help you dial in your car if you want.

83gt5.0

Established Member
How do the Steeda #18/#19 cams relate in performance and driveability to the E Cam.

And...............how much more is a custom cam vs assembly line cams? Do you simply call Lunati, tell them all your specs, and what you are looking for, then they ship you a cam?

Valvespring swaps for all cams?

:)

IETZR1S

Established Member
call steeda, have them fax or email you the cam card for both cams and I will let you know. A lunati cam shipped to you door is $320.00. I have a few custome lunati cams sitting on the shelf that are true and tested if you go that way.

psucobra

Established Member
If your looking for a custom cam check out www.andersonfordmotorsports.com and www.flowtechinduction.com these are two of the best in the business. A custom cam will run you anywhere from $320 to $350 well worth the money considering you can make more hp with better driveablitly than the alphabet cams. There are off the shelf cams that would meet your purpose as well but if your not a cam expert this takes the quess work out it. As a general rule anytime your uprgrading a stock cam to aftermarket cam with more lift you should definately consider changing valve springs. My E-cammed 93 still had the stock springs and on two occasions I had lifters go bad. Other have run that cam with stock springs with no problems to speak of. In your case (140K on the clock) I would definately upgrade the springs!

Last edited:

IETZR1S

Established Member
I second that, CHANGE THE SPRINGS. Hate to tell you a valve job would help you out at 140,000 but who does that to stock heads

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Originally posted by IETZR1S
what is you timing, fuel pressure, pump, injectors mass air? what about plugs, and basic set up. Before you pull the cam I will help you dial in your car if you want.

Timing is set at 10-11 degrees base. Part throttle spark adder is 5 degrees (tweecer managed), total timing is around 34-35 degrees, Pump is 255lph, stock 24# injectors, ported stock 70mm MAF, fuel psi is 37, and plugs are autolite 3923's gapped at .050 (because of scremon demon coil).

I am running a cold plug because of the 150 shot of nitrous that I use.

BiLL1024

Established Member
Thanks everyone , Ill see how things go money wise .
The car is a blast got to love it even as it sits now.
Needs paint too it is cracking on the hood and the roof .
I just got it this past spring. I had the clutch done and exhaust.It was owned by a woman who traided it in on an 03 cobra . I went to Danbury CT to get the car 6500$(asking 8k) and looks like nobody ever sat in the car it was so clean (execpt the driver's floormat).The dealer when I want back this fall to trade in my 98gt for a 4wheel drive. told me I stole the car from him LOL he didnt know what he had . Showed me two guides that had the car at 12k even needing paint. He wanted me to bring it back and trade it in .
As far as the cam I will have the springs and whatever else needs to be done taken care of . Maybe port the heads and do a rebuild on them valves ect..I do heat and a/c and just tinker with cars a little bit so I am not an expert by any means .I have learned some just from reading all the posts on here some good info.
Thanks again.
Bill

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread