camaro competition for the cobra R???

matthyoo

Established Member
everyone over at ls1.com is saying how Z06 vette will school a cobra R in 1/4 mile and on a road course. now, the only thing i have to quote is magazines so i will say that one of the magz. did a test between the cobra r and the z06, and the R was 2 seconds faster on the road course....what do you guys think aboot this?

kevin

my first question would be, which z06? the r was only made in 2000. chevy has made z06's in 00 and 01 and i think 02. the only one that was supposedly comparable was in 00. chevy uped the hp/tq in 01 from what i've read. at some point chevy will improve the z06 to outperform all parts of the r.

so how do you compare the new and improved verison vs. the 00 r?

LogiWorld123

Established Member
The R wins the road courses.

The vette wins the 1/4 mile.

The R wins coolness factor

The vette wins everyday driveability.

The R wins resale

The Vette wins.....?

I'd take an R over any zo6

BRIMSTONE

As far as I know the Z06 was re-introduced in 2001, and the hp/tq was upped in 2002. The original Z06 had very limited production, and no everyday driving comforts (no sound deadening either), much like the Cobra R of today.

Mike

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
The Z-06 was introduced in '01...

Only one Mag test did the R win on the Road Course.. all other mag comparisons of Viper vs. Z-06 vs. R and the Z-06 won.

The Z-06 is going to win in all categories mainly for one reason... 3000 lbs! That is tough to beat...

My Z-06 bone stock ran 12.31 @ 114.75... I took 2nd in the Country in SCCA Solo 2 Super Stock.

This year I am campaigning an '01 Cobra for F-Stock... to try and prove they can beat the LS1 Camaro's.

The Cobra R is a VERY Cool Car! And purpose built... but the Z-06 is too... and without the sacrifice of comfort aneminities. Not that I would want leather, and Heads up display... but obviously a lot of corvette owners do.

Anyways... they are both great cars... but unfortunately in my opinion... on two different levels... The Z-06 handles like a dream... very easy to drive on the edge... and with a Race Weight of 3000lbs... about unbeatable.

Peace,

Dave

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Although... I thought it should be noted... this thread's topic was 'Camaro Competition for Cobra R' not Z-06 competition... and in that sense there is no real competition from any current Factory Camaro for the Cobra.

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by Dave Schotz
The Z-06 was introduced in '01...

Only one Mag test did the R win on the Road Course.. all other mag comparisons of Viper vs. Z-06 vs. R and the Z-06 won.

The Z-06 is going to win in all categories mainly for one reason... 3000 lbs! That is tough to beat...

My Z-06 bone stock ran 12.31 @ 114.75... I took 2nd in the Country in SCCA Solo 2 Super Stock.

This year I am campaigning an '01 Cobra for F-Stock... to try and prove they can beat the LS1 Camaro's.

The Cobra R is a VERY Cool Car! And purpose built... but the Z-06 is too... and without the sacrifice of comfort aneminities. Not that I would want leather, and Heads up display... but obviously a lot of corvette owners do.

Anyways... they are both great cars... but unfortunately in my opinion... on two different levels... The Z-06 handles like a dream... very easy to drive on the edge... and with a Race Weight of 3000lbs... about unbeatable.

Peace,

Dave
Dave,

I agree with all of your points. I came very close to purchasing a Z06 as a track car before getting the R. What it came down to for me was I wanted a more exclusive car, as I have some big fun driving the R on the street as well as driving it on the track. The R turns alot of heads, where the Z06 will not turn as many heads. Not that it does not deserve to turn heads, its just that it is not nearly as extreme looking as the R.

In a perfect world, I would be like BRIMSTONE and would own both of them!! :D But alas, I cannot complain as I have a gorgeous M5 to drive as well as the R.

Bottom line, (for me at least) is the R takes me back to my early days driving muscle cars in the 70's. Those were the days. It was just you and the car!

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Andy, well said. And I agree... I think there is something very nostalgic about the R... and I love the car...

Now owning an '01 Cobra as well... I would like to consider an '00 R down the road.

Peace,

Dave

BRIMSTONE

Dave - what kind of brakes are you using for your Z06?

Concerning Z06 vs. R, I imagine very few owners would be able to use either car to it's full potential, and for the average person the choice is more a matter of personal preference and taste rather than which car will win the trophy for them.

I do find the R to be more precise in steering and handling though, you get much more feedback from the road when driving the R. I'm taking the Z to Willow Springs for the first time next week, it will be exciting.

Mike

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Mike, I used the Stock brakes for solo2...

I used Porterfield for Track Days... but I think I would probably switch to Hawk.

I tried using Carbotech Panthers for Solo2... but they were way to aggressive for the stock system... and would throw the car right into ABS...

I am however looking to try the Panthers on my '01 Cobra... due to the increased Weight, and not quite as aggressive of a pedal, I think it should compliment it well.

Peace,

Dave

PS Enjoy the Springs!!!

Users who are viewing this thread