Cameras - Doors, Garage, etc

Cobra Jet

Established Member
How are some of these cams as far as "plug-n-play" with Service Providers such as Xfinity (Comcast)? Are they a royal pain to set up if using the Service Provider's equipment - like does one have to delve into the software innards to establish MAC addresses and other weird shit?

Also how are these once set up as far as being able to view them when away from the home and not on the home network (WiFi)?

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
How are some of these cams as far as "plug-n-play" with Service Providers such as Xfinity (Comcast)? Are they a royal pain to set up if using the Service Provider's equipment - like does one have to delve into the software innards to establish MAC addresses and other weird shit?

Also how are these once set up as far as being able to view them when away from the home and not on the home network (WiFi)?
For the wifi cams (Ring, Eufy, Blink, etc), if you know your wifi name/password, you'll log in via the app and bam, done.

Usually, the hardwired cameras like the Unify or Reolink most likely will require you to actually plug the NVR into your router and use their app to log in and view.

As far are viewing remotely, stupid easy if you have a cell signal.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
View attachment 1736319blink camera from Amazon. That's on normal setting.

Have you tested the motion trigger on that camera? Seeing how far it is from your garage, that camera may not pick up someone trying to break in. It is too far away from where any action would be.

The "range" with which Blink cameras pick up motion is about 8' from the camera.. max.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Here's a start:

Use any popular camera, GW Security, Amcrest, Reolink (and on); they're all ONVIF compliant these days. I've got an Amcrest NVR, primarily as a multiplexer, but the software is a little clunky so I don't recommend it as a stand alone.

A standalone computer with Blue Iris works best; they have recommendations on power- but the software is easy to use. It takes an hour or so to figure out how to set things up, but an NVR takes that too.

awful knawful

Established Member
Have you tested the motion trigger on that camera? Seeing how far it is from your garage, that camera may not pick up someone trying to break in. It is too far away from where any action would be.

The "range" with which Blink cameras pick up motion is about 8' from the camera.. max.
I have 5 cameras all over. This is the trigger distance on one video I saved.
At least 20 feet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220202-171901~2.png
    Screenshot_20220202-171901~2.png
    414 KB · Views: 44

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Lol its not 20 feet, I can promise you that. I have my house surrounded by these cameras also... wish it was 20 feet.

Users who are viewing this thread