Cammed LS3 Vette Vs. Bolt on LS3 Vette vs. Ported Cobra

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
Was cruising with some buddies last night, one has a intake/header/tune 08 Corvette, the other has an 04 Cobra Vert, ported, making 475 on a 91 oct tune (makes around 510 on 100oct.)

Both are members here, Girth and AcesCobra.

They decide to line up and run from a 1st gear roll, around 5mph. The Cobra took a decent jump (vette was spinning), and pulled about a car until around 65-70 when the vette started reeling him in. By about 120mph, the vette had the cobra by A clean car. Vette is making 420whp.

We all three did a second gear pull after that. My buddies Vette jumped into the lead with the cobra right behind him. I was spinning so bad I had to let off and then get back on it in second, dropping me behind the cobra, but began reeling him in quick into my 3rd gear. The race shut down with my buddies vette in the lead, and the cobra and me pretty much neck and neck.

The third run was just me and the other vette from a 65mph roll in third. Both hit it at the same time, I pulled very very slightly into the top of third, shift to 4th and by around 140 had a car and a half. My buddy has raced a C6Z and tells me I pull about the same.

Fun night!:rockon:

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Was cruising with some buddies last night, one has a intake/header/tune 08 Corvette, the other has an 04 Cobra Vert, ported, making 475 on a 91 oct tune (makes around 510 on 100oct.)

They decide to line up and run from a 1st gear roll, around 5mph. The Cobra took a decent jump (vette was spinning), and pulled about a car until around 65-70 when the vette started reeling him in. By about 120mph, the vette had the cobra by A clean car. Vette is making 420whp.

We all three did a second gear pull after that. My buddies Vette jumped into the lead with the cobra right behind him. I was spinning so bad I had to let off and then get back on it in second, dropping me behind the cobra, but began reeling him in quick into my 3rd gear. The race shut down with my buddies vette in the lead, and the cobra and me pretty much neck and neck.

The third run was just me (460rwhp C6 LS3) and the other vette from a 65mph roll in third. Both hit it at the same time, I pulled very very slightly into the top of third, shift to 4th and by around 140 had a car and a half. My buddy has raced a C6Z and tells me I pull about the same.

Sounds like some good runs...

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Great race but pretty interesting. Someone with a ported eaton beat a stock C6 Z06 from a roll (his story is on the 2nd page in this forum), so is the tuned LS3 faster than a stock C6 Z06? (or was it driver error on the other Z06?) Im curious to see which is faster between the two. Should be interesting. Ever encountered a Z06 O.P?

Sil80sx

Established Member
This is probably one of the few things I like about mustang forums. If this was posted on a forum I use to go on regularly (zilvia.net) they would've flammed you to death about how "street racing" is the biggest taboo in the ****ing world and how much of a baby killer you are.

Good to know you guys dont hide around the bush and admit the OBVIOUS, sounds like some good clean fun runs! Good job OP.....

BlueSnake01

Established Member
This is probably one of the few things I like about mustang forums. If this was posted on a forum I use to go on regularly (zilvia.net) they would've flammed you to death about how "street racing" is the biggest taboo in the ****ing world and how much of a baby killer you are.

Good to know you guys dont hide around the bush and admit the OBVIOUS, sounds like some good clean fun runs! Good job OP.....
Im pretty sure that more than 80% of the people posting have street race a couple of times, some probably stopped others probably went overboard. I hardly street race but if I do I make sure there is no traffic and that its not on small streets (35 mph only, etc). I would prefer freeway pulls or big long streets, but hey everyone has done something stupid in their life so its only normal.

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
Great race but pretty interesting. Someone with a ported eaton beat a stock C6 Z06 from a roll (his story is on the 2nd page in this forum), so is the tuned LS3 faster than a stock C6 Z06? (or was it driver error on the other Z06?) Im curious to see which is faster between the two. Should be interesting. Ever encountered a Z06 O.P?

Anything can happen on the street. I think it would take a ported cobra making over 500whp, and an amazing driver to be even with a C6Z with an equally skilled driver.

Remember this cobra is a vert, little bit heavier, making 475 on a 91 oct tune. (he has a 2.76 and a 4lb lower). On 100oct I think it would be a different story. The bolt on LS3 car raced a stock C6Z from 55mph in 2nd gear to about 160 and the Z pulled about a car.

I have yet to encounter a C6z in my cammed car.

StangJason

Established Member

When cars get as quick as either of the cars you mentioned I believe it becomes more of a race for traction and more of a drivers race. I've beaten a 03ish (I forget the exact year) claimng 440rwhp from about a 40-50mph by a car length to about 120mph but it was a cool day (heatons love cool air) and I was the better driver.

DHG BULLITT

Try to find Mr. Warren G
Established Member

The third run was just me and the other vette from a 65mph roll in third. Both hit it at the same time, I pulled very very slightly into the top of third, shift to 4th and by around 140 had a car and a half. My buddy has raced a C6Z and tells me I pull about the same.

Not bad, but a properly ported car should be in the 500-520 range, and a coupe would save another 200 lbs, and most likely take down the bolt-on LS3.

Good ya'll got out there and drove the cars like they're meant to be.

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
Not bad, but a properly ported car should be in the 500-520 range, and a coupe would save another 200 lbs, and most likely take down the bolt-on LS3.

Its a steggy stage 5, built motor, cams. He was on a 91oct tune, very mild, around 475hp. Makes well over 500 on his 100oct tune. Gets hot here in the summer, he detunes it for safety.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member

Don't forget that you are talking about a car that was tuned for 91 in 115 degree heat with a typical summer DA of 5000+

DHG BULLITT

Try to find Mr. Warren G
Established Member
Its a steggy stage 5, built motor, cams. He was on a 91oct tune, very mild, around 475hp. Makes well over 500 on his 100oct tune. Gets hot here in the summer, he detunes it for safety.

Don't forget that you are talking about a car that was tuned for 91 in 115 degree heat with a typical summer DA of 5000+

True, I try to stay out of my shit in mid-day here. Wait until the sun is setting and the air has cooled or my car dogs it.

There is a guy down the way at my apartment that has a new black LS3. I may leave him a note and see if he's down to make a vid sometime.

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
True, I try to stay out of my shit in mid-day here. Wait until the sun is setting and the air has cooled or my car dogs it.

There is a guy down the way at my apartment that has a new black LS3. I may leave him a note and see if he's down to make a vid sometime.

Do it! That would be a sick vid. You will probably have your way with him if he is stock.

Users who are viewing this thread