Cammed performance opinions.

wreckit

Established Member
Looking into purchasing some cams for my 03 cobra.

Now, I've been reading some review stating cams are a waste of money for forced induction cars and are meant for naturally aspirated motors.

Others claim they area a great investment and will boost your numbers 15+rwhp minimum..
I do love the sound they give these cars and seems every car on the racing scene has them...

What are yalls honest opinions/experience with cams on these cars and performance reviews?

Plus, which is the best brand/company to go with, considering my mods listed in my sig.

NiceCobra

Established Member
Most people say there a waste because the dollar per hp you get from them.
That money could be used elsewhere like on a bigger blower.
I'll be doing cams if I ever need to build a motor tho that's for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
If I ever pull the engine I would like to do them for the sound. But generally from what I gathered it's best to spend that money else were like a bigger blower. Because gains are not much. I think silver03svt a mod here has them on his it sounds wicked but forget what cams they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LUV2REV

Established Member
I have Stage 3 Comp Cams along with ported/polished heads and Wiseco Pistons in my 2003 Convertible. The previous owner figured it made sense to install cams while the engine was apart getting the head work done. I have no idea how it would perform without cams, the sound however is amazing and worth it just for that. I get many compliments about how great the car sounds.

*The Stage 3's create a lot of vacuum so you really need to keep the rev's up while starting in 1st or it will stall, you get used to it however.

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
If you are gonna get cams I would go with a custom grind for your specific application

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
As mentioned above, I have Crower Stage 3 cams in my 03 Cobra. I wanted cams ONLY for the sound. Performance wise, they are NOT the best bang for the buck, BUT they are absolute the best music for the ears you can get. I don't regret dropping the coin on them at all.

03Steve

Established Member
Depends on the engine combination.

For a stock piston setup a set of 96-01 intake cams are the best bang for the buck. You can find them for $100 or so and reuse your stock valvetrain.

For a flat top piston with a typical deck height, depending on the power adder, desired RPM, and so on...there are a few good options. I use a Comp 106360 set and have had excellent results with the combination thus far. It is an excellent off the shelf cam set.

The 106460s are popular, but unless you are running something in the 11:1+ static range and beyond 7000rpm, there are better choices. They also require valve reliefs on the intake side for ideal placement.

Users who are viewing this thread