Cams and cam tunes

dynasty_365

Established Member
Those of u with cams or cam tunes can u post videos of it with your exhaust and also what have u found r the pros and cons of having a cam. Haven't seen many cammed 5.0's so just wondering

afro

Why?
Established Member
what do u feel the pros and cons of running a cam r?

Well, from my general knowledge of cams, you'll probably lose some low-end power/torque but gain big high-end power/torque. Usually pretty substantial gains, but with the 5.0 being VVT, it might not be as substantial as you'd have on a non-VVT car since the car is already aggressively cam'd.

-fro

dynasty_365

Established Member
Hmmm that's interesting. I'm not the most knowledgeable about cams. But I'm thinking if u pair a cam with a positive displacement blower wouldn't it put the power to the ground a little better since pd's have so much torque and if a cam backs it down a little wouldn't that b a good combo

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Hmmm that's interesting. I'm not the most knowledgeable about cams. But I'm thinking if u pair a cam with a positive displacement blower wouldn't it put the power to the ground a little better since pd's have so much torque and if a cam backs it down a little wouldn't that b a good combo

Not necessarily. You have to take a lot in to account here.

For instance, a cam designed for a naturally aspirated engine won't perform as well as one ground for a boosted application. The biggest reason being overlap, or the duration of time that both the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time.

To make big power with an NA cam, most engines like a good bit of duration on that overlap. If you're boosted, you're just blowing all that air in to, then right out of the cylinder.

It's definitely not something you want to just go pick a cam off the shelf and tat start adding to. If cams are something you're serious about, you need to decide an ultimate direction for the vehicle, then pick the cams suited for that purpose.

dynasty_365

Established Member
definately going the route of a pd blower before the end of next year. yea ive been looking at a few different cams. member on here directed me to a good one on jpc's website. its a good waysoff for me. right now i just need info cuz i'm not that well versed when it comes to cams

Users who are viewing this thread