Cams, headers, 4lb lower.... doable on pump gas?

sask10

Established Member
I currently have a 2010 GT500 with a VMP Gen I TVS (2.5" upper) swap, CJ 65mm TB, JLT CAI, offroad xpipe and ID725s. It currently runs just over 15psi. I'm looking for a little more out of this setup but still want to run pump gas. I'm wondering if cams and headers will lower the boost enough to get away with running a 4lb lower and still allow me to stay under 18psi?

Any idea who's cams (L&M, BPS, JDM currently being considered) see the most boost drop? Who's cams have the flattest hp/tq curve? I don't want to move the power to far up or out my RPM range as this car is primarily a street car with a stock bottom end.

The only other issue I can see is the need for a BAP if my logic will support the other mods.

Thoughts?

VNMOUS1

Established Member
ID725 and bap. We sell L&M cams and plug and play fuel pump boosters. Regardless of flow, you need octane. You can certainly get a calibration that is safe on higher boost for street use, then one with some spark in it for track use. My car makes 22psi and I daily it on 93, BUT I never, ever go wot with 93 in the tank.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sask10

Established Member
ID725 and bap. We sell L&M cams and plug and play fuel pump boosters. Regardless of flow, you need octane. You can certainly get a calibration that is safe on higher boost for street use, then one with some spark in it for track use. My car makes 22psi and I daily it on 93, BUT I never, ever go wot with 93 in the tank.

What about water/meth? I asked Lund about it even with my current setup but he was not fond of using it for reliability reasons. Is there enough octane available there? There's a speed shop here that pushes it and they run it on their twin turbo Shelby at 1000+ rwhp. They claim it also helps with IAT temps and keeps everything inside clean.

Race gas isn't readily available around here. It's the type of thing where the local speed shop puts an order in once a year and if your not on the list your SOL.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Water/meth injection is great but I wouldn't depend on it for octane. I use it on my car but only for cooling purposes.

Willie

Established Member
8.1:1 Compression Ratio
JDM cams
Dynotech headers
19.4 psig boost
91 Octane
17 deg total advance

BUT I have two safeguards:
1) Vampire knock detection system &
2) Methanol through a custom 4-nozzle system that sprays after the intercooler. (It's amazing how my IAT2 DROPS under WOT.)

Speedboosted

Established Member
8.1:1 Compression Ratio
JDM cams
Dynotech headers
19.4 psig boost
91 Octane
17 deg total advance

BUT I have two safeguards:
1) Vampire knock detection system &
2) Methanol through a custom 4-nozzle system that sprays after the intercooler. (It's amazing how my IAT2 DROPS under WOT.)

Why would you build a motor with that low of compression to only see 19 pounds? Honest question.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
What about water/meth? I asked Lund about it even with my current setup but he was not fond of using it for reliability reasons. Is there enough octane available there? There's a speed shop here that pushes it and they run it on their twin turbo Shelby at 1000+ rwhp. They claim it also helps with IAT temps and keeps everything inside clean.

Race gas isn't readily available around here. It's the type of thing where the local speed shop puts an order in once a year and if your not on the list your SOL.
We feel the same way about water/meth.

Willie

Established Member
We feel the same way about water/meth.

You can tune around this.
ANY mechanical system can (and will eventually) fail. I have run methanol for over 10 years and it has never failed me. Also, if you feel this way, why do you not feel the same about BAP's? It's also a mechanical system that can fail??? You cannot tune around a BAP failure....... Just sayin'.....

Willie

VNMOUS1

Established Member
You can tune around this.
ANY mechanical system can (and will eventually) fail. I have run methanol for over 10 years and it has never failed me. Also, if you feel this way, why do you not feel the same about BAP's? It's also a mechanical system that can fail??? You cannot tune around a BAP failure....... Just sayin'.....

Willie

I didn't say anything about failures.

bj

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
2.9 Whipple
NSR Comp Cams
72# injectors
20v Kenne Bell bap
Shorty headers, no cats, and KR exhaust
Intake, Throttle Body
3.0 upper pulley, stock lower = 15#'s
Lund Racing tuned
740 ish hp safely (injectors at only 70%, cool temps, etc) to the rear wheels on 93.

Will get wheels widened for bigger donuts before going longtubes, lower, and retune and have been told 780-800 safe rwhp on 93 is doable.

Last edited:

sask10

Established Member
Looks like the choke here for pump gas friendly horsepower is my choice of supercharger. Maybe time to step up to a 3.6L KB. Looks like a 3.6LC is good for ~730whp with no other mods. Add cams and open up the exhaust and your probably ~780.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread