Can 2011 GTs Handle Drag Radials?

Bad Intention

Established Member
I have been having the M/T's on the car since it had 200 miles on it. over 40 passes and still doing good. but you never know next pass might not be so lucky.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
I'm getting ready to run Nitto 555r's on mine. If history repeats itself they won't grip anymore than a good street tire so I should be good lol

AmnDucky

Established Member
My car is bone stock and the clutch slips like crazy on 235 series all season pirellis. It's really pretty pathetic to be honest.

lol then you need to go to the dealership. I can chirp 4th and the ONLY modification to my car is muffler deletes. And I was chirping 4th before the exhaust, on a hot day, at 3500' in altitude.

Slurved

Established Member
If I really pound on the car I can do the same thing. Its when I'm driving at about 75% that the clutch seems to slip. Could the TCS be what I'm feeling?

Last edited:

stang1971

Established Member
If I really pound on the car I can do the same thing. Its when I'm driving at about 75% that the clutch seems to slip. Cold the TCS be what I'm feeling?
watch ur speedo when that happens and ur dash lights... if i beat on mine and it starts spinning my speedo goes higher and my traction control lights starts flashing on the dash. i highly doubt ur clutch is toast this soon unless u dont know how to drive a manual. do you have a burning smell also?

ViciousJay

Established Member
If I really pound on the car I can do the same thing. Its when I'm driving at about 75% that the clutch seems to slip. Cold the TCS be what I'm feeling?
I know your new but are you sure you know how to drive manual correctly?

correct me if im wrong but MADE IN CHINA!

It is and so is about 75% of all the rest of the stuff we buy... personally ive only had the cold start hard to shift issue and when starting the starter gets stuck which i plan on taking it in for... otherwise best car ive owned since my first lightning

kevinp

Established Member
watch ur speedo when that happens and ur dash lights... if i beat on mine and it starts spinning my speedo goes higher and my traction control lights starts flashing on the dash. i highly doubt ur clutch is toast this soon unless u dont know how to drive a manual. do you have a burning smell also?

+1

Traction control is very aggressive on these cars. Even a few times while logging the throttle gets pulled back with it off, most likely something the advance trac isnt liking.

If you are burning a clutch thta bad you can smell it for sure..

Slurved

Established Member
I know your new but are you sure you know how to drive manual correctly?

It is and so is about 75% of all the rest of the stuff we buy... personally ive only had the cold start hard to shift issue and when starting the starter gets stuck which i plan on taking it in for... otherwise best car ive owned since my first lightning

I have been driving them for 15 years in everything from Infinitis to an HCI fox body and a Camaro SS. I think I've got it figured out...

I dont smell any burning.

I dont know how the TCS works on these cars but it just sort of bogs/lags for a second between hard shifts. It almost feels like it could be a computer nanny because I havent noticed it when I've turned the TCS off.

I will go out with it turned off for a while today and see if its the same way.

It hasnt been a huge problem I've just noticed it a few times, the first time was on some REALLY steep twisties.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I have been driving them for 15 years in everything from Infinitis to an HCI fox body and a Camaro SS. I think I've got it figured out...

I dont know how the TCS works on these cars but it just sort of bogs/lags for a second between hard shifts. It almost feels like it could be a computer nanny because I havent noticed it when I've turned the TCS off.

It hasnt been a huge problem I've just noticed it a few times, the first time was on some REALLY steep twisties.

That's definitely the electronic throttle and TCS system.

As rpms come close to redline the factory computer starts dialing out some throttle and smoothes re-input during shifts. It's called torque management.

A tune will take care of that.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I put my 03 et streets w 03 replica wheels on my 2011 with no problems at all. No clutch problems at all or grinding shifts.... It's a auto...lol

Yea my 03 I burnt a clutch up, now have a spec 3+ in that, w input shaft and half shafts. Expensive stuff be happy not breaking half shafts, those are 1.5k.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Here's my runs on stock clutch and MT ET Streets..

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQNPHfi-uNs"]YouTube - 2011 Mustang GT 1/4 mile runs..[/nomedia]

I chirp 5th with the stock clutch..

When my trans was pulled last month, the clutch still looked brand new. There was absolutely zero abnormal wear/hot spots, or indications of glazing.

I have never had a problem with the stock clutch.. However, I had issues with transmission whine (had it when I first took the car home). It never failed on me, though.. and drove fine. It was a little bitch notchy when cold, but, I think that was due to fact that Ford had the wrong fluid it the trans.

I'd invest in some LCA's, and relocation brackets before you do anything else. Because wheel hop is going to kill parts faster than anything else. If you do those 2 things, and throw on a set of ET Streets, you should be fine at stock power levels for a long time.

Travis

Last edited:

try03venom

Established Member
seems all the problems are from cold/thick tranny lube. What is the factory fill? anyone switch to a good full synthetic? I had a 6month old 1990 5.0 and toasted the trans going into 5th back in the day WTF:rockon:

Slurved

Established Member
That's definitely the electronic throttle and TCS system.

As rpms come close to redline the factory computer starts dialing out some throttle and smoothes re-input during shifts. It's called torque management.

A tune will take care of that.

Went out with TCS turned off and its a night and day difference. I'm not used to these high tech devices!:D

Hopefully i can get a tune ordered up soon but I think i'm going with an axleback first!

ViciousJay

Established Member

do my clutch mod, its stickied towards the top... the pedal distance will travel entirely different and will feel more like a cable clutch, since doing mine all my issues went away aside from the cold start up shifting issue

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The car can handle DR's and more without any issues. Here's our car with completely stock suspension running slicks. Our best 60ft with this setup was 1.43. The only thing we swapped out at this point as far as drivetrain is concerned is the clutch which was replaced with a Mcleod RXT.

[youtube_browser]Sm5Fsx_f1I8[/youtube_browser]

ViciousJay

Established Member
Here's my runs on stock clutch and MT ET Streets..

YouTube - 2011 Mustang GT 1/4 mile runs..

I chirp 5th with the stock clutch..

When my trans was pulled last month, the clutch still looked brand new. There was absolutely zero abnormal wear/hot spots, or indications of glazing.

I have never had a problem with the stock clutch.. However, I had issues with transmission whine (had it when I first took the car home). It never failed on me, though.. and drove fine. It was a little bitch notchy when cold, but, I think that was due to fact that Ford had the wrong fluid it the trans.

I'd invest in some LCA's, and relocation brackets before you do anything else. Because wheel hop is going to kill parts faster than anything else. If you do those 2 things, and throw on a set of ET Streets, you should be fine at stock power levels for a long time.

Travis

now thats some driving!!!! :beer::rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread