can a monkey do it? (shifter install)

that_L_do_Pig

I have a stock 2001 Cobra vert with 6000 miles. My buddy just got a Z06 which among other things NOW makes me want to get a new shifter (actually a 6th gear, but oh well).

Question: Can a monkey install a shifter in this car? From browsing around the Steeda Tri-Ax is the obvious choice, but I want to know if it is a straight forward, do-it yourselfer.

Other threads have said this is the case, but I wanted confirmation.

Thanks...

Vinnie T

Established Member
It's very straight forward to install. Once you get the shift console and boot out of the way, it's a matter of removing screws and 4 bolts to remove the rubber shifter cover and the shifter itself. The shifter is sealed with a silicone sealer, and you will have to pop it loose. Since I had the car on ramps already when I did mine, I just got underneath with a piece of wood and a hammer. I placed the edge of the wood block against the lip of the shifter, and gave it a pop with the hammer, which broke it loose. Clean any leftover silicone off the surface of the transmission, and keep the pieces from falling in. Put some silicone sealer on the tranny surface, and install the new shifter in reverse order. If you are getting a Tri-ax, it comes with all the necessary instructions. It gives you the option of reinstalling the rubber cover boot, and I would suggest using it to control excess noise and heat.
You will notice a huge difference between the Tri-ax and the OEM shifter, including the positive stops to prevent any damage to the tranny from over zealous shifting effort. Finish off your installation with a shift handle from MGW. You won't be disappointed. The Steeda handle is a bit flimsy for my tastes.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Here is a handy "how-to" article over on the Roush enthusiasts' webpage: (Fnsweet.com)

http://www.fnsweet.com/garage/shifter/index.shtml

- shows step-by-step instructions for a TR-3650 trans (01 Cobras)
- great pictures (print out them out & keep them by your side for the install if you want)
- yes, a monkey can install a new shifter (especially with these directions! -LOL)

Best of luck man, I love my Tri Ax :thumbsup:

CANNON

Originally posted by that_L_do_Pig
I have a stock 2001 Cobra vert with 6000 miles. My buddy just got a Z06 which among other things NOW makes me want to get a new shifter (actually a 6th gear, but oh well).

Question: Can a monkey install a shifter in this car? In a word...Yes.

CANNON

:burnout: Honestly, it's a snap to install. Just remember to look for the plastic spacer that goes on the ball of the shifter. It will probably be stuck on the old shifter when you pull it out. Shane Roberts has a really good instruction sheet with pics on his website: http://www.shane.roberts.net/cobra.htm Look under the "technical" header... Good luck!!!:burnout:

Last edited:

that_L_do_Pig

it worked as described

thanks for all the tips - the install went smoothly. I should have done this the day I bought the car!

I installed the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter with Steeda knob in about an hour. I put the old small circle rubber boot back on even though the instructions did not call for it, to reduce any extra noise. This required some stretching.

Happy Camper here, thanks for all the tips!

What is next? I am thinking exhaust...:beer:

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
aaahhhh.... perfect. This is just what I was looking for as I'll be helping a buddy install a Tri-Ax on his '01.

Whadd'ya think Dan?

DNeinstadt

Established Member
Already done Tim.. :) Went like a piece of cake. I have some changes I wanted to make to it, but for the most part, it's done...

Went easy.. Just need my gears and my driveshaft put in.. Hopefully this week....

Users who are viewing this thread