Can a Raptor be made to tow better?

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
I know part of the limitations are due to the Suspension. So my question is if I were to swap out the Springs and Shocks on my R, would it be able to tow a little more? I want to be able to tow a 23-26 ft Fifth Wheel.

Is this even possible with a 5.5ft box? Pardon my Ignorance, but I admit that I'm clueless when it comes to this subject. Thanks.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
A pre-runner capable type truck and tow rig have two completely different purposes. You can't have both.

ff500

Established Member
That is the one drawback of the Raptor is the towing capabilities, my FX4 can tow 11,000 lbs which is barely enough for our 26' boat and trailer. I'd love to get into a Raptor supercrew when they become available but the towing capabilities may keep me away.

CosworthRS

DemonicGraphix
Established Member
If you want to use your truck for towing. Then why did you even bother buying a Raptor? Seems like you bought the wrong truck for the job.

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
If you want to use your truck for towing. Then why did you even bother buying a Raptor? Seems like you bought the wrong truck for the job.

I guess I worded it wrong. I haven't bought one yet lol.
But I really want one. I was just wondering if there was a safe way to address the towing issue. I just figured a 6000 lb 5th wheel MAY be doable.

I guess I'll be looking at a SD next year. Thanks guys. :beer:

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
I guess you could add airbags in the back for towing to stiffen up the suspension for hauling??

I don't know if I'd want to haul heavy loads like that all of the time, but I think bags and the odd big job might be alright?

Swapping springs and shocks out on the Raptor seems a little silly, since the big deal about the Raptor is the suspension set up..

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Sure change the springs out and it will be fine. Of course then you would be deleting the very thing it was designed for soft long travel suspension for high speeds off road.

Purchase the 6.2 raptor change out the springs for towing and you will effectively have a normal fx4 f150 with a 6.2 in it.:beer:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Beyond the obvious suspension limitations, the bed length is going to be a real problem. You're going to have to have a long extension on the kingpin mount to make it work. That's really going to increase the apparent weight placed in the bed and cause even more problems with the suspension.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
worst idea ever! :bash:

The suspension is what makes a raptor a raptor! If you want a stock utility suspension just buy a regular f-150! This is equivalent to buying a shelby gt500 and removing the supercharger. :bash:

AZ Rocky

Established Member
Another serious issue is liability. If you tow a rig over the manufacture’s published limit, YOU can be found negligent if someone gets hurt in an accident. It’s not a good idea no matter what you do.

You should get a big 'ol Supper Duty and tow a 5th wheel with the Raptor on it and head to the dunes!

Users who are viewing this thread