Can a riding mower tow a small boat?

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
I know...odd questions. My new house has more than enough room on the side yard for my boat which is VERY small. 2003 16ft Carolina skiff with a 30hp. I can easily pick the tongue up ( i would think its about 150-200lbs of tongue weight)and move it around on concrete.

My side yard has about 20ft of grass that I cannot drive my 8k lb truck on due to the sprinkler system. Will this kill my riding mower? I would just first gear it and go at it. Thoughts?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I've towed much bigger with riding mowers before. It isn't like it is stuck and you're pulling dead weight. If it rolls freely there should be no issue.

Coiled03

Established Member
Don't know the answer, but that thread title made me LOL.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
I've towed much bigger with riding mowers before. It isn't like it is stuck and you're pulling dead weight. If it rolls freely there should be no issue.

The only thing i would say to negate the "rolling free" comment is my grass is healthy and tall lol. I can easily pick up the tongue and with a friend just giving a hand push it through the grass. I just dont want to break and axle or anything or burn up a trans. I still need it to cut with lol.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Don't know the answer, but that thread title made me LOL.

Lol i thought about that as well. There are countless threads on other forums (like the hull truth) asking if they could use their 9hp Murray to tow their 21ft CC a half mile down the road to the slip lol. A few people said they broke an axle but all were towing stuff that was 22-24ft which is crazy. Id be suprised if my boat was 2000lbs total.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
My brother moves his 20ft bow rider with a V6 I/O on a tandem trailer around the yard with a 17hp 42"cut craftsman POS. lol

I've had MTD's Murrys, Cub Cadets, Exmarks and all have moved things including a 6X12 utility loaded down with firewood. I did move my Astro 17'fish and ski also several times.
From your description of the situation you will be fine.

Maustang

Established Member
Don't know if the mower will handle the tongue weight or not but it should pull it.
I've pulled my 69 chevelle and 67 mustang with mine both with out engine's in them.
The biggest obstacle was getting traction on the grass.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
We used to tow a large jet ski with a side container full of crap with a small john deer 10hp riding mower. We did this to just get the ski in and out of the under-deck storage in our back yard where a truck wouldn't fit.

It handled it just fine, even over some small rises. As long as the boat isn't too large, I think you'd be fine.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
My brother in laws old boat sales place had a old John Deere with a ball on the front and back to yank them around the yard.

jconnor3

Established Member
I've used the mower to move hay wagons around the farm before to mow under them. Never loaded obviously, but those suckers are pretty heavy and never seemed to be a big issue. Like others have said, you will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread