Can an 05 Chevy Duramax diesel put 805 to the tire?

SkipBuxton

Established Member
With just an intake and tune ?? :??: My neighbor has one - it is a 3/4 ton and he claims that is where it is at after a buddy dyno tuned it ? I didnt disagree because I honestly did not know (although I highly doubt it) ----- What I do know is that is that he is full of poop when he says he thinks he can keep up with my pullied/tuned cobra from a 40mph drop ! :nonono:
I offered to take him up on it right then and there and then the excuses came out of the woodwork !!
These diesel guys with their manly insecurities -- :??:

I guess ignorance is bliss !!

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Diesels can gain something like 200+ ft-lbs off a tuner but no where near that much HP, and unless he was making 600rwtq stock (Which probably didnt happen), id say hes full of shit.

I raced what turned out to be a pretty well modded (Meaning, a bunch of mods, that werent thought out) Duramax, and he hung pretty well..... with my 334rwhp WS.6. I couldnt flat out yank him, but it was a solid pull away.

Yeah, diesels can make insane power but some of those guys dont get the whole power-to-weight factor. Yeah, you can make 800+ ft-lbs with mods.. But your moving what, 6000+lbs with it? People believe what other idiots tell them.. I had a guy tell me he made about '400 horse' from a chip in his Hemi Ram. Dont get me started on idiot dealers...

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
I'm not sure what kind of numbers they can make either, but I did see a duramax at the track running low 8's (1/8th mile) spinning his ass off with nothing but a tuner.

SkipBuxton

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys............. I did figure they could do pretty well with just a tune - however --- I think he is in dreamland with his 805rwhp statement.

CBrowning84

Established Member
I'd believe it if it was torque... HP? Doubtful unless he has done some other upgrades, and if he hasn't he's dumb. Probably would need upgraded fuel and clutch, etc and I wouldn't doubt at all if it were around 600...

edit: I asked my brother, who has a cummins, and he said "No. Torque maybe, but not horses. I figure they're about 350 stock, just guessing. A 450 hp plug in upgrade? yeah right!"

Last edited:

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
There are 800-1khp diesel's out there. But they are modded to hell and you would know if it was making that much,it take WAAAAAY more than a tuner alone. Because when they make that much hp...they make 1200-1700lb-ft trq...and yes there are street driven diesels that run 10's

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
No.
With a good EFI Live tune you can make 500/900 at the tires but you need exhaust work.
You are also in the area of needing fuel upgrades.
The stock Allison trans won't last under those power levels either.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
HP- no way! It would be a built motor with upgraded turbos to reach those levels. You can get the torque near those levels with bolt-ons.

Users who are viewing this thread