Can an SCT tuner be sold?

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
I'm done screwing with after market tunes. So I have an SCT tuner loaded with 2 custom tunes 1 from AED and 1 from LUND. Is this something I can sell? I have both the files in email as well and would email to the buyer. My ECU is DZW2 person buying would just need to make sure they have DZW2 and this would work? My car is 100% stock from what I was told both would work with CAI but that's about it. Is this sellable?

2013Boss302

Established Member
i doubt it.

I would clear the tuner and sell it blank. Not worth the risk of someone trying to load the tune and it not working.

Last edited:

walked_u_hard

Established Member
if they have the same computer code and mods, yes. if they do a firmware update, which they should, it will erase the tunes on the tuner.

its worth having a tune on the car, what are you having trouble with? do you have a track key?

i doubt it.

I would clear the tuner and sell it blank. Not worth the risk of someone trying to load the tune and it not working.

FYI, if they do not have the same computer code it WILL NOT upload the tunes to the computer. They could use the strategy tune option on it though. (which is what the OP should try if his custom tunes are not working, then he knows its the custom tunes that are the issue and not the device)

Last edited:

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
I'm just done with SCT. Had problems going back to stock even with the latest firmware 142. Something happened while loading a custom tune then it wouldn't return to stock SCT dialed into my laptop and couldn't resolve the problem so I had to send them my ECU and SCT device they were able to get my stock file back on the ECU car is up and running fine now but I am never f'ing with it again.

I have custom tunes in email and would send them to the buyer but I think I'm just going to say screw it I wouldn't want someone else going through this. SCT claims the device is fine but still can't say why or what caused it to not allow the car to return to stock.

Shaun@AED

I'm just done with SCT. Had problems going back to stock even with the latest firmware 142. Something happened while loading a custom tune then it wouldn't return to stock SCT dialed into my laptop and couldn't resolve the problem so I had to send them my ECU and SCT device they were able to get my stock file back on the ECU car is up and running fine now but I am never f'ing with it again.

I have custom tunes in email and would send them to the buyer but I think I'm just going to say screw it I wouldn't want someone else going through this. SCT claims the device is fine but still can't say why or what caused it to not allow the car to return to stock.

Jeff,
Send me the Xcal un-married and I will send out a very stable pass thru device with your tunes loaded on it. It's not pretty like the X3, but it's dead nuts reliable.

bull3441

Established Member
What's the reasoning for dumping the SCT? I ask because you may have the 1.37 firmware that countless guys have had issues. SCT released a new 1.42 update.

walked_u_hard

Established Member
sounds like a issue with the hand held itself, should have had SCT exchange it for a new one the device wasnt saving the stock tune right from the sounds of it.

deadly venom

Established Member

i had the same thing happen to me, but i was in california on vacation and sct had to pay for a rental car for me. then i got a check engine light the other day p0460 which has something to do with the sending unit in the gas tank, so i went to put it back to stock and it did it again only this time it acted a little diffrent and i waited for the car to cool down and then it took the stock tune...so im wondering if its due to heat under the hood..

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
When the SCT tech was dialed in trying to recover my stock file he bricked the device. No idea what he did but all it would do is light the screen up no text.

I'm just done with SCT getting my car towed sucked enough the car was plenty cool the following day and the stock tune still wouldn't load. This wasn't the first time I had this problem either.

The tuner was sent to SCT they say it's now fine but I'm not connecting it to my car.

bull3441

Established Member
When the SCT tech was dialed in trying to recover my stock file he bricked the device. No idea what he did but all it would do is light the screen up no text.

I'm just done with SCT getting my car towed sucked enough the car was plenty cool the following day and the stock tune still wouldn't load. This wasn't the first time I had this problem either.

The tuner was sent to SCT they say it's now fine but I'm not connecting it to my car.
It sounds like you fell victim to the 1.37 firmware. Two weeks ago SCT sent out urgent emails about a new firmware update.

Users who are viewing this thread