Can anyone recommend an air rifle?

99GTvert

Established Member
My girlfriend wants to learn how to shoot so I am going to start her on one of those cheap pump ones from Walmart. She doesn't need anything crazy, I just want her to get comfortable with it. But, I think I would like to get a little bit nicer one. Again, nothing crazy, probably under $150. I did a search on here and some say Gamo/Crossman type guns suck, some say they're good for the money, and some say anything under $300 isn't worth it. I've found a couple that have gotten good reviews on pyramid. The Daisy Avanti 499, and the Air Venturi Bronco, anyone have experience with either of these? I am open to anything really. Even if it's a little higher price, but worth it, I'm open to that too.

99GTvert

Established Member
I want something we can shoot in our back yard. I have woods behind my house but it is still a suburb and rifles are frowned upon. I will get her a bigger gun eventually but I want something she can learn on, and it would be much more convenient to just do it off our deck.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I gotcha.

If you're just looking to teach her the basics of shooting, I would think something off the shelf from Walmart or a sporting goods store would suffice. Air rifles can get damn expensive, but for your and her purpose, an inexpensive one would work just fine.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
A Savage breach loader can be had for ~$100. Just buy some .22 short or cap rounds it will be barely louder than an air rifle.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Diana makes a high quality air rifle.
Some of them are up to 1,000 FPS.
They have a nice weight to them and beautiful real wood stocks.

Diana%2034%20Anniversary.jpg

UncleDan

Established Member
Gamo makes decent air rifles that you can buy right off the shelf. They also pack a punch for what they are. Their "big cat" model shoots 1,200 fps with the right ammo.

This would be something good to learn on. After she quickly gets bored with that though, you should find a good 10/22 Ruger.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
I'd go for a .22 cal with at least 1000 FPS. I have a 450 FPS .177 and a 1000FPS .22. Got the .22 at dicks sporting goods for $200 and I love it.

REPCobra10

Established Member
Gamo makes decent air rifles that you can buy right off the shelf. They also pack a punch for what they are. Their "big cat" model shoots 1,200 fps with the right ammo.

Good advice. :beer: I used to have some Gamo air rifles a while back and I was very pleased with them, OP.

Gamo Airguns

Last edited:

99GTvert

Established Member

This would be something good to learn on. After she quickly gets bored with that though, you should find a good 10/22 Ruger.

Good to hear. I will probably get a 12-gauge for her once she learns the basics.

Users who are viewing this thread