Can I Bleed Just My Front Brakes, or Do I Have To Do All 4?

vipergts281

Established Member
I'll be changing my front brake pads/rotors within a week. Can I just bleed the front brakes and leave the rear's alone? Or do I have to do all four? I'm sure some may say it is just better to do all four, but is it really necessary?

Thanks. :beer:

03DOHC

Established Member
If you are just changing your pads you don't have to bleed your brakes. If you open the brake system, like changing the calipers, then you should bleed it.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Like 03DOHC said, you do not have to bleed the brakes when you do the pads.

If you did decide to bleed them for some reason. i would do them all. Starting furthest from the master cylinder

Dave

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
No you don't need to bleed all four as long as you don't let the reserve run dry. I would suggest in investing in some speed bleeders they make bleeding them cake. The rears really don't get that hot so bleeding them is not as important as the fronts.

vipergts281

Established Member
Doh, I forgot that I really don't have to bleed them since I am not opening the valve.

Sorry, dumb thread then, lol.

Thanks though.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Depending on how hard you drive I would still bleed the fronts to circulate clean fluid into the calipers. I use Ford HD brake fluid in mine. If you drive hard the fluid will come out dark brown and then go to amber when it is clean.

Also when you go to install the new pads make sure you remove the cap before you compress the inside pad. What pads are you going with?

vipergts281

Established Member
Yeah, I may just bleed them anyway just to be sure. I abuse the hell out of my brakes.

I have EBC Greenstuff Pads (but I think they sent me the wrong ones??). And my new Brembo rotors came in the mail today.

Users who are viewing this thread