Can I drop the tranny without pulling the headers?

brtt485

Established Member
I have a 96 Cobra with BBK long tube headers and I want to replace my TOB. Does anyone out there know if I can drop the tranny without pulling a header or headers or can I slide the tranny back far enough to get in there without actually dropping it? It looks really tight!

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Same BBK longtubes here and I don't believe so. It'd be snug as hell if you did.

I think some have done it by loosening the P/S header? Not sure if they were BBK though.

tmoee3

Established Member
i believe u have to remove the passenger side header to drop the tranny wth bbk lt headers thats what i have and my mech told me if i remember correctly the pass side header has to be removed in order to replace my clutch hopes this helps

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
I'm pretty sure on BBK you have to remove the pass side header. Some brands you don't have to though.

Cobra Jay

Got Boost?
Established Member
To remove the T45 with BBK LTs you have to pull the passenger side header. I just did it 11 months ago. As far as sliding the trans back to replace TOB, I doubt it but I don't know for sure. You could always try getting the passenger side header lose and see if it works cause even if it doesn't you have to take the header off anyway to take the trans all the way out. Good luck, and its a bitch so just be prepared. :nonono:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Just remove the passenger side header all the way, tightening the bolts is what is a pain in the but, its not too bad fishing the header in. Save yourself added headache and remove the hole side.

MustangMatt77

Established Member
Pretty sure you will have to remove the header, and the trans. I dont see you getting in their to replace the TOB without dropping it.
Im in the same boat, need to replace my TOB. Instead of doing it myself, a local shop will do it for $375, and I provide my own parts. Might as well since they have to do the same thing to replace the TOB as replacing the pack.
Just food for thought.

Powerslave

Established Member
I have kooks 1 3/4 long tubes, and I have to loosen the passenger side. Mine are individual tubes, if the bbk are single flange, u most likely will have to loosen at the very least

Users who are viewing this thread