Can I Fight This?

ZachSav

Ford Tech.
Established Member
About two weeks ago, i got pulled over for chirping my tires, the cop that pulled me over was a really cool guy and gave me a written warning for that, but he gave me a ticket for not presenting my registration at the time i was pulled over. I told him "I think this is my old one" and handed him the "older" registration, only to find out today, the same day i go to get my new registration, that the one i handed him was infact valid. Is there a way to fight this in court? Is there a way to prove that i did give him the current one? Its not a huge deal to me, but everyone likes saving money. Any help?

SNCBOOM

Established Member
It seems like if you show up to court with all applicable registration paperwork they'll throw it out :shrug:

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Some violations like registration, inspection, insurance, driver license (MAY) be dismissed if one can show proof within tens days that you corrected the violations. Court costs can be around 10 bucks.
Not sure about your home state though.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
It seems like if you show up to court with all applicable registration paperwork they'll throw it out :shrug:

i agree that it will probably get dismissed but you will most likely pay court cost.

Some violations like registration, inspection, insurance, driver license (MAY) be dismissed if one can show proof within tens days that you corrected the violations. Court costs can be around 10 bucks.
Not sure about your home state though.

I concur. :beer:

sc98cbra

Established Member
Honestly. I would be happy I didn't recieve a display of power ticket. I would just pay the fine and be happy. It could have been worse.

03_SVT

Established Member
just go to court and show that you had a valid insurance when you got pulled over.
I mean the registration has a date from when it begin till it expires. showing that is was still valid when it happened it will be dismissed. there might be a court cost but there is also a chance you might not have to pay anything!

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
I'm not a LEO, and I'm not sure if this matters or not. But the OP said "...he gave me a ticket for not presenting my registration ..." Even if the OP shows a valid registration at the time of the report, is that going to be enough. The citation to reads like he did not have prove of registration with him. Not that the vehical was not registered. In some places you have to carry prove.

Just a added thought. I hope it works out for you. Sounds like the LEO gave you a good break already. Good luck.

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
+4 or 5,take the registration you presented when pulled and prove it was current at the time of the stop. Should be thrown out/dismissed

ZachSav

Ford Tech.
Established Member
any md state police here to give opinion... it was in cecil county, but its 40 min away, if i dont have a guarentee of it getting thrown out, im just going to pay, because gas geting don there and the time i will loose at school/work, i dont want to loose more money that i would if i jst pay it.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
any md state police here to give opinion... it was in cecil county, but its 40 min away, if i dont have a guarentee of it getting thrown out, im just going to pay, because gas geting don there and the time i will loose at school/work, i dont want to loose more money that i would if i jst pay it.

NOTHING is ever 100% other than death and taxes and even the certainty of death is sometimes questionable.

I have gotten this ticket in several states including MD. and every time it has been dismissed when I went in and showed the judge that I did indeed have a valid registration at the time of the ticket.

I am curious however, you said he gave you a "not presenting my registration at the time i was pulled over"

but you presented him with one. Did both of you fail to check the date on your registration when you handed it to him or was he simply cutting you a break by fabricating a charge?

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
NOTHING is ever 100% other than death and taxes and even the certainty of death is sometimes questionable.

I have gotten this ticket in several states including MD. and every time it has been dismissed when I went in and showed the judge that I did indeed have a valid registration at the time of the ticket.

I am curious however, you said he gave you a "not presenting my registration at the time i was pulled over"

but you presented him with one. Did both of you fail to check the date on your registration when you handed it to him or was he simply cutting you a break by fabricating a charge?

That was going to be my question as well. I'd think that if you handed it to him he'd be able to see it was valid and correct you on your assumption.

ZachSav

Ford Tech.
Established Member
The thing was, he was in a dark feild with no light on talking to some one, when he pulled me over, he turned his lights on and pulled out, had he given me the ticket i would have fought it and he knew i could beat it, so i assume he cut me a break by giving me that, i talked for a bit with him and basically he took the reg. i failed to look at and assumed it was a not valid, and he didnt check it either and went with my word that it wasnt valid, isnt it his job to record the date of it if i did give him something?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Judge: "Mr. Sav did you hand the officer your registration?"
Sav: "Yes."
Judge: "Did you tell the officer the registration was not valid?"
Sav: "Yes."
Judge: "Officer, did Mr. Sav hand you a registration he claimed was not valid?"
Officer: "Yes."
Judge: "Mr. Sav. do you have anything to offer?"
Sav: "Yes judge, here is a copy of the registration I handed the officer and it shows it was valid at the time of the stop."
Judge: "Mr. Sav. can you prove to the court that was the registration you gave the officer and not another one that was not valid?"
Sav: "Yes judge, because I am telling the truth."
Judge: "Anything else?"
Sav: "No."
Officer: "No."
Judge: "Mr. Sav. you are ordered to pay the fine plus court costs."

ZachSav

Ford Tech.
Established Member
lol thats why i think i may just pay it... i have no real proof other than the kid that was with me, and since i go to UTI, time missed really hurts my grades...

Common

Established Member
If you are lucky they might "throw it out" and you get pay court costs, I paid 32$, most are under 40$.

My scenario was almost identical, but with an insurance card. I simply didnt find me new insurance card in time, since I JUST got it and put it in a different compartment for some odd reason. By the time he came back, ticket was written and there I was with my valid card. Not officers fault I couldnt find it though, he told me to go to court and explain. I did, and after 3-4 wasted hours, I "won".

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread