Can I install my clutch?

PIXER

Banned
Well looks like I need a new one. When I lightly give it gas and try to shift (lined up, pefectly) it wont let me in. Thought it was possibly the TOB, or the syncros wich BOTH inluding a new factory clutch was replaced 9k miles ago. I DO NOT Have warranty and this is my D.D. I plan on KB 2.4 within the year :rockon: so will need it to handle AROUND 700rwhp. so first off, will spec stage 3 be good? Heard lots of good things. And can I do this myself? I am not the best of a mechanic but I try and although things take me Forever to do, I somehow manage to get it done. I beleave I have all the tools I would need, but is there anything special? Its vacation time and cant get ahold of any performance shops for a quote, but ford wants 7 hours labor at $99hr. Which I cant afford. Is this possible to do? And what is the big deal about this 26 spline thing? How much am I looking at having to spend? I have searched, but after doing a search on "clutch install" and on the tenth page of results (I mean seriously guys, do we need all this info :lol1: )jk.
Please help me out.

Also, I beleave its my clutch because a buddy of mine told me how to check it. He said to stop, put the car in first with the clutch to the floor and rev it to 5k, if the car moves then the clutch is not fully disengaging and it needs to be replaced. Well I was at a steedy cruize, so thinking its the clutch. Thanks again
Mark

nugen

Established Member
I used to do all of the work on my last car, to include replacing the clutch, flywheel and TOB. It was nice to say that I did it, but from now on I'm more than happy to pay someone else do it!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
PIXER said:
Also, I beleave its my clutch because a buddy of mine told me how to check it. He said to stop, put the car in first with the clutch to the floor and rev it to 5k, if the car moves then the clutch is not fully disengaging and it needs to be replaced. Well I was at a steedy cruize, so thinking its the clutch. Thanks again
Mark
You should readjust your clutch. It isn't releasing fully. That does not mean it is bad, just needs an adjustment.
If you don't have one already, get a aftermartket quadrant and firewall adjuster. It is the only way to adjust them properly.
Then add more freeplay to the cable. You can check this by looking at the TOB and making sure it is away from the pressure plate fingers about 1/8 inch. If not, adjust the cable (shorten it) until you have the correct freeplay. This usually translates to about one inch at the top of the pedal.

You may still need a clutch, but it is not the cause of your current problem.

Dana

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Dana said:
You should readjust your clutch. It isn't releasing fully. That does not mean it is bad, just needs an adjustment.
If you don't have one already, get a aftermartket quadrant and firewall adjuster. It is the only way to adjust them properly.
Then add more freeplay to the cable. You can check this by looking at the TOB and making sure it is away from the pressure plate fingers about 1/8 inch. If not, adjust the cable (shorten it) until you have the correct freeplay. This usually translates to about one inch at the top of the pedal.

You may still need a clutch, but it is not the cause of your current problem.

Dana

Good advice. Remember...shortening the cable raises the engagement height on the pedal and gives the clutch more travel. Lenthening it does just the opposite and gives you more freeplay.

PIXER

Banned
How will I be able to see the TOB? DO I have to remove the tranny to see it?

Bump, and what about the 26spline thing?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
PIXER said:
How will I be able to see the TOB? DO I have to remove the tranny to see it?

there is a cover on the driver's side of the bellhousing. One bolt holds it in place. It covers the lower end of the clutch release cable. With this cover removed, you can see the TOB and pressure plate fingers. You can try to turn the TOB with a long screwdriver. If it won't move easily, it is too tight.
You should also be able to see the amount of clearance.

PIXER said:
Bump, and what about the 26spline thing?
If you do have to install a new clutch assembly, there are several write ups on the install of the new input shaft.
Here's one I did:
26 spline input shaft install

The new shaft is about $250 from Liberty gear in Michigan. Install time is less than one hour, once the trans is out. If you plan on uping your horsepower, it is definitely something you want to do.

Clutches are not that difficult to change on these cars, but there are a lot of areas that costly mistakes can be made.
One other thing to consider is that not all shops charge $99 per hour and can provide the same or better quality work than the dealer does.

Dana

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Questions from a tranny noob:

I want to go to a 26 spline input with a DFX clutch/pressure plate and a new flywheel.
a) What is better for a flywheel in this setup, steel or aluminum?
b) Are Mach 1 flywheels the same as Cobra?
c) Besides the obvious major pieces, what else will I need? Will I needed a new throw out bearing...what else is needed?

Should I do the Steeda Double hook quadrant and clutch adjuster kit with these mods since I'm already yankin the tranny?

Thanks

Last edited:

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
Dana said:
there is a cover on the driver's side of the bellhousing. One bolt holds it in place. It covers the lower end of the clutch release cable. With this cover removed, you can see the TOB and pressure plate fingers. You can try to turn the TOB with a long screwdriver. If it won't move easily, it is too tight
You should also be able to see the amount of clearance.
If you do have to install a new clutch assembly, there are several write ups on the install of the new input shaft.
Here's one I did:
26 spline input shaft install
The new shaft is about $250 from Liberty gear in Michigan. Install time is less than one hour, once the trans is out. If you plan on uping your horsepower, it is definitely something you want to do.
Clutches are not that difficult to change on these cars, but there are a lot of areas that costly mistakes can be made.
One other thing to consider is that not all shops charge $99 per hour and can provide the same or better quality work than the dealer does.
Dana

Nice write up on the 26 spline shaft install!! :rockon: I might give it a try!

Users who are viewing this thread