Can I Really Use 9005s In The Fogs???

Matt M PA

Established Member
I have looked and looked through the site but cannot find the pages that talked about this...it was quite some time ago.

I installed 9005s in the fogs on my '05 Excusrsion..and wow what a difference. I installed the fogs myself (factory lights) and see no problem with wiring, heat etc since January.

I remember reading here that some Cobra guys had problems running the 9005 bulbs where a 9145 should go in the Cobra. I really want to switch to Silverstars, but they have yet to make 9145s. (And, for those of you with '05 SuperDutys or Msutangs...they won't make a Silverstar H13 or 9008)

Have those of you that installed the more powerful 9005 had any issues?

Thanks!

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
They are going to make the correct bulb. I suggest waiting for it. I ran the 9005's for about a year and my foglight switch shorted out. I don't know if the bulbs are related but I put the stock bulbs back in and will wait for the correct fog lights.

rmgtc01

Established Member
Yes, just look at the stocker to the 9005 and cut off the tab that doesn't align. You will have 2 tabs instead of 3 now, but it fits in the slots now and is plenty to hold it in place.

cdn_99_cobra

Established Member
Seems the 04's are slightly different. I popped the 9005's in place easily. Very bright and looks great. I have the silverstars as well

eaglesnick

Established Member
I've had my 9005s in since I got my car 2 1/2 years ago, no problems as of yet, I was also able to wiggle mine in without cutting tabs.

Matt M PA

Established Member
Thanks guys!

ChicagoMike...while it's possible, I'd bet that the switch shorted for other reasons. Relays are used for these things because the switches cannot take the power. I would doubt that the power of the lights goes through the switch...I could always be wrong.

But....I'm still on the fence about waiting or going to the 9005s now.

Users who are viewing this thread