Can I replace the valve guides with the heads on the truck?

Bootbox

Established Member
I've got a couple of bad valve guides on the drivers side and it's using oil. I'd love to just throw some better heads on there but I really don't have the money. Can the valve guides be replaced (with the right tools) with just the valve covers and cam removed, or do I have to pull the head?

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Guides, no way. Valve seals, yessir. Guides must be done with proper machinery to exacting tolerances. Seals merely slip over the guid and valve stem to create a physical seal and is usually what causes smoke on startup and oil usage. If you have any guides that are bad or going bad then the head(s) need to come off anyways.

Bootbox

Established Member
So I guess that brings us to my next question.

I'm not taking them off just to put stockers back on. Can I run the Patriot stage II heads with confidence or do I have to buy them and have a machine shop fix the shit guide install job I've heard they do?

STRK BY

RIDE THE LIGHTNING
Established Member
You most likely just have a couple of bad seals. could try just changeing the seals, they are cheap and wont cost u much if u do it your self..or try running some "valvoline high milage oil" for 3000 miles to see if it helps...it has extra seal conditioners to swell seals that have shrunk..

Bootbox

Established Member
STRK BY said:
You most likely just have a couple of bad seals. could try just changeing the seals, they are cheap and wont cost u much if u do it your self..or try running some "valvoline high milage oil" for 3000 miles to see if it helps...it has extra seal conditioners to swell seals that have shrunk..

What does replacing the seals entail? Do I have to pull the cams/springs/retainers? The more I think about it, if I'm in there doing that much work, just for seals, I'd rather just put perf heads on. It would be tight but I might be able to swing it $$$

ronnie said:
You can send your heads off to TEA or have a vendor like LFP or JLP take care of you.

What's TEA I'm having a hard time with Google on this one. And yeah, I was thinking about calling Mark if I wind up going with the Patriots.

STRK BY

RIDE THE LIGHTNING
Established Member
Have u bypassed the stock pcv system with breathers yet or a oil seperator, if not that is most likely the source of your oil use issue..Are u sure it is a seal issue, have u pulled the plugs to verify what 2 cylinders only are burning oil?

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
Guides don't use oil. Worn seals do. All the guides do is center the valve stem and valve in the bore. If its using oil, replace the stem seals first. Its not a big deal. Just time consuming. You will have to remove the cams, spring and use a set of special pliers to yank them off. Heres the tool... http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...=74624&group_ID=1585&store=canada&dir=catalog

If you do replace the heads, Patriots are good. I have no complaints and have recently installed a set on another truck.

Bootbox

Established Member
STRK BY said:
Have u bypassed the stock pcv system with breathers yet or a oil seperator, if not that is most likely the source of your oil use issue..Are u sure it is a seal issue, have u pulled the plugs to verify what 2 cylinders only are burning oil?

I haven't bypassed the PCV yet but it's smoking too much at startup and using too much oil to just be the PCV issue.

With the plugs, every time I change them (10,000mi intervals) the first two on the driver's side head are all ashed up and the rest are fine.

Scotts Elle said:
Guides don't use oil. Worn seals do. All the guides do is center the valve stem and valve in the bore. If its using oil, replace the stem seals first. Its not a big deal. Just time consuming. You will have to remove the cams, spring and use a set of special pliers to yank them off. Heres the tool... http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...=74624&group_ID=1585&store=canada&dir=catalog

If you do replace the heads, Patriots are good. I have no complaints and have recently installed a set on another truck.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. I appreciate everyone that's chimed in so far. This has been bugging me for a while but I think I can address it soon.

I guess the more I think about it the less I want to go through all that work just to replace a stock part. I'm really going to pinch and save for a while and see if I can come up with the cash for some Patriots.

PS Scott, I PM'd you about the 4-link deposit

STRK BY

RIDE THE LIGHTNING
Established Member
If u dont have pcv bypassed with breathers or seperators your inter cooler and lower intake are soaked with oil that the charger has been pulling in through the stock pcv and will use a good deal of oil with the stock pcv system.......do a search on it

FordFanStan

Established Member
Damnit Bootbox, im drubnk so take that into consdieration but, seriously... In you r best effort, just nefermind. I need to be sober to talk to you bout this... If it seals replace them only.! Ivf its guides, replace heads while you got them off and got shit aprat but not patriots, or at leatst deamnd certain specifications from PP... either pm or emai l me tomorrow at fordfanstan@ aol dot com tomorrow bro... pm me for my number and ill talk toy you bro... late stan... Stan

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Rob, the port job on my patriots is great, the guides they used had to be replaced cause they were mushroomed. tight in the middle and loose at each end. If i had to do it again and use them i would deff call them and tell them exactly what to do. Other than that i would try TEA

Morgan

Established Member
TEA is Total Engine Airflow.

Patriot's castings are good, but I'd suggest you put better valves/springs/guides in them.

Bootbox

Established Member
If I get the Patriots I guess I'll just have a local shop re-do the valvetrain, getting real expensive though. I'd like to get my hands on a good set of 03 04 heads, but they're proving hard to come by.

Last edited:

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
If you get one of the special tools (from Magnum Powers or Ford) you can easily remove the locks, keeper and spring to change the seal without having to remove the cam. Those two seals would be the easiest to change as well..

Good luck in whatever you decide. :thumbsup:

Bootbox

Established Member
Hmm, tough call now. I guess it will come down to how much $ is left after the 4 link is all wrapped up.

Appreciate everyone's input, seriously thanks for taking the time everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread