Can I tow with a lightning that is lowered.

Jkstang78

Established Member
Hi my truck is lowered a good amout, not sure how low could be 2-4 inchs in the rear. I need to tow a uhaul trailer and a 3500lb mustang.

1.should I just raise my truck back to stock height.
2. what kind of damage would happen if I do tow with it this low.
3. what other options do I have.

582696_10_full.jpg

203Cree

Established Member
I tow with mine sometimes. How far are you pulling? If it's quite a ways, you could put the stock shackles back in. If it's not that far, just load the trailer a little light on the tounge. That's usually what I do, lol. Worst that'll happen is you'll hit the frame rails with the rearend, and depending on how fast and how hard you hit, it could do some damage.

BC Lightning

Project Panty Dropper
Established Member
I have the roush kit, and tow my mastercraft boat all the time, I also have a built tranny with 2400 stall, and have no problems towing

SADF

Established Member
I towed a bagged show truck all the way from atlanta through the crappy roads of missippi til I got to Greenville showfest. I have groundforce kit w/ cut springs and a leaf missing out back.

Jkstang78

Established Member
SADF said:
I towed a bagged show truck all the way from atlanta through the crappy roads of missippi til I got to Greenville showfest. I have groundforce kit w/ cut springs and a leaf missing out back.

I have the same kit but no cut springs or missing leafs.

Jkstang78

Established Member
203Cree said:
I tow with mine sometimes. How far are you pulling? If it's quite a ways, you could put the stock shackles back in. If it's not that far, just load the trailer a little light on the tounge. That's usually what I do, lol. Worst that'll happen is you'll hit the frame rails with the rearend, and depending on how fast and how hard you hit, it could do some damage.

It is mostly around town, But there could be a a few trips to Englishtown NJ.

Jkstang78

Established Member
Ok I looked at the shackles that are on the tuck right now. They have 2 sets of holes where the leaf can bolt into. It is in the top set hole. I measured and it was 7 & 1/2 from top set center hole to center bottom hanger hole. Now the 2nd set of hole is an 1 inch shorter. Which is 6 &1/2 inchs.

So are these shackels a 2/3 drop.

I measured a a stock shackle and it was 4 & 1/2 from center hole to hole.

If it is the case of being a 2/3 drope shackle then I can just lower it to the 2nd set of hole to raise the truck an inch.

BAFLightning

Established Member
I dont know if its really possible. LoL, i tow race cars a couple times a week with mine and all though it does a good job, that bitch is low to the ground. If i were to lower it, i think i might start running into problems. But then again it all depends on what your towing and how you set up your tail weights and such.

Users who are viewing this thread