Can it be done...

SVTTuckF100

M&M Custom Finishes
Established Member
I'm not too familiar with the wiring of the engine/powertrain of the CSVTs, and I had an idea :idea:

Since mine is dead(PATS system crapped out), I was wondering if there is any way that the 2.5L out of the 'tour will run in say...a 39 Ford Coupe without the PATS system and everything.

Can I just get a FAST Engine management system(or something similar) to run the motor(spark timing, fuel injector pulse width and duration, etc.). I wasn't sure whether the PATS system is just a necessity when you run it with the entire SVT Contour wiring harness, since I know its all tied in together; PATS system into the fuel/spark delivery, as well as just about everything else in the car.

I figured someone like ryan, crazyj0n, brapple, or somebody would be able to answer this for me...thanks in advance guys :beer:

brapple

Established Member
well the easiest way to use the engine in another aplication is to use everything, engine, harness, pcm etc and therefor you would need pats as it is part of the wiring harness.

if you have a stand alone and are not using the stock PCM then no you will not need pats.

you could get a pre98 harness and pcm from a 96/97 that doesn't have pats and then have it tuned and reference the SVT pcm as a starting point for a good tune.

SVTTuckF100

M&M Custom Finishes
Established Member
but if I have a stand alone PCM I would not have to use the PATS, correct?

I am leaning more and more towards building a kit car rather than throw more money at my dealership for them doing nothing, so I think I will start making some calls to companies that make stand alone ECM. However I am unfamiliar with this kinda stuff, give me a Holley or Edelbrock carb, a set of points or solid state ignition, OHV, etc..and I could do that stuff with my eyes closed(figuratively speaking)

Anybody recommend a good company to look at?

Users who are viewing this thread