can someone help me please car related but non L related......

stubbs

Established Member
Can anyone help me with a little problem I have. My cousin has a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am with the 3.4 motor. The temperature gauge keeps going to 260 degrees and we cant figure out why the car seems to overheat, we changed the thermostat, cleaned and flushed the radiator and replaced a couple of hoses. I dont know what else we can change. I don't think thats its the water pump. But do you think that it could be the temp sensor, or what can you guys maybe help me out. Thanks

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Water pump. Does the coolant circulate? How many miles? Have you pressure tested the cap? His radiator could be clogged aslo, does the whole thing seem to be the same temperature?

slow232

I
Established Member
It could be the sensor, But at 260 degrees you would be able to tell if the gauge is just over reading or if the car IS at 260.

I had a similar issue with my mustang, gauge read high and would freak me out, i bought an autometer gauge and the temp read normal.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
slosvt said:
Can anyone help me with a little problem I have. My cousin has a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am with the 3.4 motor. The temperature gauge keeps going to 260 degrees and we cant figure out why the car seems to overheat, we changed the thermostat, cleaned and flushed the radiator and replaced a couple of hoses. I dont know what else we can change. I don't think thats its the water pump. But do you think that it could be the temp sensor, or what can you guys maybe help me out. Thanks

Same exact car my wife has. The gauge cluster is terrible in it... it's got a short that makes the gas gauge swing back and forth from full to empty and back to the amount it actually has.

Those cars also have issues with things going haywire when the voltage gets weak. If the battery starts losing voltage due to a weak alternator or bad battery the gauges are prone to doing screwy shit.

I can't say for sure that it's just an instrument issue, infact it doesn't sound entirely like it... but it's definitely something to keep in mind with those cars.

Stinger2007

Established Member
how many miles? you said you've checked the f-pump, thermo..., hoses etc....

have u tried finding out what codes it throws out?

stubbs

Established Member
the car had a 101,xxx on it, i just changed the hoses thermostat, flushed and cleaned the radiator, and i dont know what else it could be. I know about the cluster being like that, but the car has shut off on him once, but we just dont know what to do anymore, and we kind of have to be careful with it because of the simple fact that it is an aluminum block and hes really not in the situation to be buying a new car.

F2B we havent done the pressure test, the coolant seems to be circulating, and the car would go say 230 degrees when your sitting and then it would go back to normal operating temp when driving.

tazman yes it does have an e-fan.

slow232 i think that it may be the sensor. but we are going to fully tear it apart and find what the prob is.

DSM Storm

Established Member
Make sure you are bleeding it right. Get the car to operating temperature and open the bleeder screws. There should be one in the front of the engine and if im correct there might be another near the brake booster. I cant remember if the 2nd bleeder is also equipped on the OHV 3.4 as well as the DOHC 3.4.

Make sure the electric fans are operating properly. i would also use something like a scan tool or even a temperature guage to see if the 260 degree reading is correct. Those 3.4 & 3.1L engines also have issues with the intake gasket leaking, any oil/coolant mixing?

Storm

stubbs

Established Member
tazman yes the fan comes on reguarly

storm i think that I noticed the coolant leaking one time, and that was it. but it seems we fill it and then its fine for about three or four days then its back to getting hot and having to refill again.

I also heard that the dexcool stuff you use for it is S**t.

Users who are viewing this thread