Can the predator change your odometer?

rskdsk

Established Member
I was at the track the other day talking with a fellow terminator. He was telling me about a guy that reloaded his old program back into his computer and it reloaded the old odometer reading. Now, from what I have been told, that is impossible. The predator does not touch tha section of the data files. So is this just BS? I would hate to think that their will be alot of low milage cobras out there with more than 50 or 100K in a few years.

rskdsk

Established Member
he also stated that the guy changed his tires size in the computer in order to slow down the milage pick-up. So now for every 1 mile he travels, his car oly read like .75 mile or something like that. His speedo is off ... but he does not care. That part I believe can be changed.

i8u

Established Member
I do not believe that it can change the odometer directly. It could be used to change you speedometer (this feature is normally used for gear or tire diameter changes where the owner want to recalibrate his speedo). Say he programmed it for 3.73's while he actually still had the stock 3.55......... His speedometer would read low.

lethal

Established Member
You cannot reload the odometer, you can recalibrate the speedo by putting the wrong tire size in... of course this is fraud, but there is no need to point that out.

John

jtfx6552

Established Member
Anybody remember the Saturday Night Live skit "I ruined it for everyone"?. Next thing you know, the Gov't will making OBD II and encrypted interface, and we will all be pissed off not being able to tune our cars.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Originally posted by caveman6666
We said the same tuning thing when EFI came out.

I know, I think you missed my point. That people perpetrating fraud, may cause even more hurdles to be placed in the way of tuning and access to the vehicle controls.

JT

lethal

Established Member
It really doesn't matter, there is nothing stopping people from putting larger tires on their car and not adjusting the speedo. Yeah, its off, but really it won't be much. Gears are the same thing (smaller, not larger ratios). My point was that the dodometer definitley should not be tampered with and that the speedo calibration can be abused -- to a point.

John

Users who are viewing this thread