CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS SH!T!! MY COBRA GOT SMASHED BY BODY SHOP MANAGER...

Leadhead

Melodramatic Nihilist
Established Member
Top Racer... Those pictures were so painful to look at. I think you made the right call though. I think getting basically a life time warranty for the front end of your vehicle and paint is better in some respects than getting a new cobra.

If anything goes wrong though...You should probably listen to Hammer.

-Jason

bbcar

Established Member
If you are happy with this car, and what you really want is it repaired to your satisfaction and the shop that is working on it can do it-GO FOR IT- the odds that everything else on the car will start falling apart because of the crash is little to none, believe me as when I was younger I wrecked my share of cars (mine) and I seldom had any problems later. actually none that would relate to a accident. I would NOT have them paint the whole car only what needs to be painted. when the car is complete check for Gaps, Paint coverage, and look between the gaps in fenders and around cowl and around nose for primer showing, if everything is o-kay and you like the quality you will be fine. I did bodywork for many years here in St. Louis at a chevy dealer and a corvette specialty shop and quality work can be done. Also if you would be conserned about later failures ask the dealer to GIVE you a 10 year 100,000 mile extended warrenty for all of the stress this has caused. Hope this helps. You have a SUPER car enjoy it and have fun. Barry:thumbsup:

Cobra'03

Established Member
They will not give you a new car. But, there is a legal provision called "diminished value". I had a new M3 damaged and got an additional $2000 from the other dude's insurance company since it had so few miles on it, and I got an appraiser to estimate the loss I would incur if I sold it. I definitely would consult an attorney, and if he concurs with my post, seek an appraiser who has done this sort of thing before - important that he or she have credentials that would classify them as "expert witnesses" should you have to go to court. In fact, ask the attorney if the "diminished value" theory could be pursued in Small Claims.

rickd

All these folks screaming 'Get a lawyer' have obviously never personally experenced how long it takes to get a resolution when you get lawyers involved. Get lawyers involved and rather than driving your car in a few weeks, you won't see it for six months or more. You'd have some satisfaction at the end, but making payments on a car you don't get to drive sucks bad.

Getting the rest of the car painted is fairly reasonable request, and I'd float that with the body shop in question. If they are willing to throw in some custom work, then that's just gravy. Frankly, I'd not expect much more than what they have already offered you.

One suggustion: drop by every so often and take a look at the car while the work is in progress. Checking will help keep 'em honest, and it will help you feel more confident in the work that is being done.

As for the abuse angle: as you noted, the airbags did not deploy. It couldn't have been going very fast at all if the airbags didn't deploy. Hitting a solid pole like that is gonna do lots of damage, even at a fairly low speed. All of the impact energy is going to be concintrated right at the point the pole hit the car, and that is going to overwhelm the bumper and bumper supports. Sounds to me like it went down just like they say it did.

Here's hoping you get it back quick.

Trader

Established Member
I bought my formula with a little bit of shop damage on it. Little scrap eon the drivers side rear quarter. After about 2k miles i brought it in for the free repaint of the panel. Its looked great. Matched too.

But... now at 45k miles and two years later, in the right light you can tell it was repainted. Only advice i have to you is go for the entire paint job. Might be better in the long run.

Resale on the car?? These cars are so nice. I would never imagine re selling it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread