CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS SH!T!! MY COBRA GOT SMASHED BY BODY SHOP MANAGER...

Friendchicken

I hate to see bad things happen to good people. Please take everyones advice and take the contract to a lawyer. It'll cost you $200, but could save you thousands in the end.

If it's at the shop's expence, they will do anything to let the car go including unbending the old parts, milling scratches....

In court, once you take possession of the car, the shop is free from all litigation should your car pull a few months down the road, or have the airbags fail... etc.

At the very least, please please please take the contract to a lawyer for 2 hrs of their time to make sure you are covered.

Rule#1 don't lend your trust
Rule#2 make friends with a lawyer
Rule#3 if you aren't sure about something, see rule #1

Jeepinbankdude

GEEEZ!!! I am SOOO glad I am DC's (DaimlerChrysler) bitch now that I read this!! I cant believe I read that poor girl Tracey's post and NOW THIS!! What kind of fargin idiots do these Ford dealerships think you guys are!!? You own a beautiful piece of American History that cost you thousands and thousands of dollars and this is the best resolution you can get from your damn dealers.. What a shame... All I can say is PLEEASE follow everyones advice and get a LAWYER! I was SOOOO pissed when I found out that my new baby Grand had been repainted (perfectly mind you) in two spots on the front and back and was NOT SATISFIED until I tracked the EXACT cause of the repaint! It turns out there was some scratches on the liftgate and the hood had a bad clearcoat that caused peeling paint there. Had my truck been wrecked AT ANY POINT in its life the selling dealer would be in court no ifs ands or BUTTS about it! (I had the frame profesionally inspected).I went by a clean carfax report and I expected no less than a perfectly framed vehicle. YOU SHOULD DO THE SAME and not accept this bullshit. Its YOUR car but it will be on your mind every time you hear a tiny squeak,rattle or see that "odd" looking area of paint....THINK ABOUT IT.

Last edited:

TopRacer

Why Yellow...? BECAUSE!!
Established Member
Hammer: Thanks for all the advice. I do know to what extent they explained to me that the device that measures the distances, width and height of the car, seems to be aligned...i dont think that there is much they could do to make the machine show an improper reading.

Also, he said that he is going to ship all the parts from Holman to his shop today and that I can come look at all the brand new parts before he puts them on to verify that they are brand new...he has all invoices and I will be given copies upon pickup.

Thanks for your input...

scottyb

If it's still new to you, then I respect your decision. I do believe a good body shop is better than the manufacturer for quality and fit and finish. However, I'd expect them to bend over backward to please you: things like paint the entire car with a better quality job to ensure paint match, tint the windows, etc etc, anything a body shop can do as a perk. DON'T sign any contact that releases them. They clearly stated that they don't want you to sue them over diminished value. YOU NEED TO FIND OUT FROM A THIRD PARTY WHAT THE DIMINISHED VALUE IS AND NOT ACCEPT THE CAR UNTIL YOU GET A CHECK IN HAND FOR THE VALUE DIFFERENCE, PERIOD.

YOU NEED TO FIND OUT FROM A THIRD PARTY WHAT THE DIMINISHED VALUE IS AND NOT ACCEPT THE CAR UNTIL YOU GET A CHECK IN HAND FOR THE VALUE DIFFERENCE, PERIOD.

I'll say it again.......

Steve Snake Driver

Established Member
Are there any marks on the front of the engine? There isn't much space between the front of the engine and the radiator and from the way things were bent I'd guess the front of the engine got smacked, while it was running. I would be extremely cautious if that is indeed the case. Ford warranties the engine, not the dealer. Your agreement is going to be with the dealer, not Ford.

As for them writing up agreements. Their agreements are going to be written by a lawyer...dispite whatever they are going to tell you, thats what is going to happen.

You need to get a lawyer yourself and discuss the situation. They are wrong if they didn't ask your permission before disassembling anything on the car.
I believe they may also be in violation of the law (at least in a few states that I know of) for not reporting the accident because of the cost amount of the damage. Yes, it makes carfax then and it appears they are afraid of that. Well, that law is also meant to protect us.
You've already been screwed by them wrecking your car...don't let them screw you again.

ironstang

Established Member
It is your car and your decision. BUT, since you asked for comments and have gotten alot of them here is mine.

I vote to bite the bullet and fight. If anything, anything at all goes wrong with the car in the future I would think it had something to do with this accident. What you see isn't what is damaged. It's the stuff you don't see that is the real problem. Say, the CD player stops working in a month, maybe there could be a small crack in the plastic loading arm from the accident and after shifting CDs around 500 times it finally broke. I would be very very concerned over the premature failure of parts.

I would certainly have the front end disassembled. There is no way to tell if the top of the struts are messed up. I know first hand, because I had a company wreck my car less then 2 months ago. Different situation and story, but same idea. I would have them replace the entire front end. I would have them remplace everything. What happens if you have a tranny or engine problem, are you 100% going to rule out the accident as a contributing factor.

Aside the unkown damage, the actual damage will diminish the value of the car. Any repainting diminshing the value of your car. I bought a new truck that had a key mark on the door. The dealer repainted the door. When I went to trade it in 15 months later, the trading in dealer stated the truck had been in a accident and the bed was bent. Totally untrue, but it still effected the resale value greatly.

I wish you the best, but 2 months and 6,000 miles later, I am still finding parts damaged and replacing them.

From the tone in your posts, you seem like a person very strong conscience. Almost to the point of feeling sorry for the body shop and dealership and certainly not wanting to screw them over. You seem to only want a fair deal, not a great deal. Maybe you don't want the hassle of a lawyer and lawsuits. Like you said it's your car, but in this particular situation you should set all feelings aside, look at the big picture and pursue the maximum beneficial outcome for one and only one person, YOU.

You don't have to be a jerk about the situation, but if you have solid legal ground, then you should pursue it 100%.

Again, best wishes.

Turbocoupe27

What the hell! You're just gonna take this in the ass and not even consult a laywer. You must be the biggest pussy to ever drive a cobra. It's amazing that someone can have the financial status to buy a $40,000 car and still not have balls big enough to defend his investment!
:cuss: :cuss: :bash: :bash: :loser: :loser:

Just always remember...the car will NEVER, EVER be the same...

Last edited:

Blade

Just browsing....
Established Member
Since the accident isn't getting reported to any insurance or law enforcement entities, could you please post your VIN# so none of us buys it used later on in life?

98ZJ NH

Originally posted by Blade
Since the accident isn't getting reported to any insurance or law enforcement entities, could you please post your VIN# so none of us buys it used later on in life?

You bring up a good point. By hiding this incident, you may be covering your ass in resale value, but you are doing an injustice to anyone that buys the car from you. In the end, the loss in value to this car is being hidin when in fact it should be paid for by the repair shop. I think you are making a mistake by taking a now injured vehicle, it has lost a lot of value, expecially when it becomes a classic. YOu will never be happy knowing that it was once in a wreck, regardless of how nice it looks. I say screw it to them and make them buy you a new car, make sure you report it to their insuarnce company, and make it known to everyone in the area that this has happened.

Friendchicken

If you sell the car and the accident (reported or not) is discovered after the sale, you will be sued.

Well, it's your car.

TopRacer

Why Yellow...? BECAUSE!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Turbocoupe27
What the hell! You're just gonna take this in the ass and not even consult a laywer. You must be the biggest pussy to ever drive a cobra. It's amazing that someone can have the financial status to buy a $40,000 car and still not have balls big enough to defend his investment!
:cuss: :cuss: :bash: :bash: :loser: :loser:

Just always remember...the car will NEVER, EVER be the same...

Some big happy family...huh? Come bring your turbocoupe ass around me and ill shove my 15 foot snake down your throat.

THE VIN: That does bring up an interesting point...If I post the VIN and 20 years down the line i sell the car it might not be a bad idea to let you know...but then again what is the point if the car is sold 20 years down the line...are you going to mentally store this number for 20 years?...this was my car from day one when i received it and i feel attached to it that is another reason that i want to keep the car...

Originally posted by ironstang
From the tone in your posts, you seem like a person very strong conscience. Almost to the point of feeling sorry for the body shop and dealership and certainly not wanting to screw them over. You seem to only want a fair deal, not a great deal. Maybe you don't want the hassle of a lawyer and lawsuits. Like you said it's your car...

That is a good observation...i am not at all a pussy, but however too nice of a guy some people say. I dont neccessary fell sorry for the body shop, but accidents happen. I do think thought that many of you would have pushed more than me, but I think that I personally will feel satisfied with the outcome of the vehicle...If im not I will not accept it...i know many of you wouldnt accept it anyway, but its my decision.

Originally posted by 98kobra
If you sell the car and the accident (reported or not) is discovered after the sale, you will be sued.

I dont believe this comment to some extent due to the fact that by law i dont believe that I am entitled to tell the buyer about the accident if they do not ask...true??

Thanks...

Last edited:

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Top....

I know some people can be a bit crude in the way they express themselves....however.... you did come ask for advice....

I can't speak for other people but I know I became emotionally involved in your case.. (meaning I was pissed off about your car... as if it had happened to mine)

You can't really fault people if they don't agree with you ... I mean... the advice you asked for overwhelmingly said pursue plan A. In no circumstances do B or C.

You in fact did BOTH B and C.

I agree accidents happen. My car was in for warranty and the lot dude parked it such that he dragged the front valance over a concrete curb. The dealer is replacing the whole front valance (black strip on the bottom of the front bumper)

In your case, I think the opinions were rendered based on the fact that everyone feels it was a case of abuse... someone is lying to you about the accident... NEGLIGENCE was the bottom line. In that case, it is not your fight with the body shop... it is the dealer's issue. Fair to you, would be for the dealer to take possession of your current repaired Cobra (the dealer could cut the bodyshop a break and not report it etc etc etc....) and give you a new one.

You have made your decision. I actually believe that the car will operate just fine. I have NEVER had a body shop do a perfect job. Of course the factory doesn't do a perfect job from jumpstreet. So you have a lot of enjoyment ahead of you.

Bottom line.. you can't get your fur up if you ask folks for opinions and their opinion doesn't please you.

My opinon of course.... anyone want to comment? (I won't get my fur up.... tho I'm not interested in ANYONE's 15 foot snake.. real or imagined) :dw:

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
Topracer, Be cool with your decision.. I think, and I do have experience in this business, your car will be fine. The damage looks a lot worse than it is from the pictures.

There are many 03 owners that have had to take their cars back to the dealer for clutches, trannys, exhaust, brake problems, bad paint, bad body parts, body parts not lining up right and I could go on. Yes, your situation is a little worse, but the fact is still the same, their cars were not perfect also and repairs had to be made.

How the damage happened doesn't change the fact it did.
I would stop stressing over this, it won't change the outcome.

Look for the positives in this since you have made a decision.

The paint on my Black 03 is shitty. Orange peel like Florida produce. Missing clear coat. Thin spots on the edges and I
again could go on.

I don't know what the condition of the rest of the paint on your car is, but if it's like mine and you are already painting the hood and a few other parts, work out a deal where they paint the whole car.

They can do a MUCH better job than FORD. My neighbors boss bought a BRAND NEW T-bird and drove it from the dealer to his personal body shop and had it repainted. I thought the guy was !@#$ CRAZY! But after I saw the car I was blown away. Makes my 03 look like I gave a few spray cans of black paint to some kids and turned them loose on my car.

A body shop can do a much better custom paint job than Ford. But they need to prep it right.

A new car wasn't going to happen out of this situation even as much as you and the others might have wanted. IT'S A CAR FOLKS, NOT A BODY PART.

The only thing you have not mentioned is restitution. They have to make the car whole, and they will. But what is their settlement for you loss. And you do have loss here.

It could be painting the whole car?
Credit for future work with a $ value?
2 -3 grand in cash?
The dealership giving you free services for X amount of time?

I don't know. That's where the attorney might have helped.

Your car will be fine, and maybe better in some areas(PAINT).

Mac03Cobra

Last edited:

ironstang

Established Member
TopRacer,

Could you explain the details of when you bought the car and when this happened? Was this immediately after taking delivery or the next day or a week later. How many miles were on the vehicle when this happened?

Just FYI, everyone is screaming abuse, which I don't doubt but also can see how this can happen. I know that I have smashed the brake pedal and actually hit the gas at the same time and revved the engine up. I always had the clutch pressed when this happened. I really do think the pole stopped the car, not the brake.

A driver in a new car with that much power, big feet, not correctly adjusted seat position, and a split second decision could easily have this accident.

I think the guy jumped into the car, smiled, started it up, smiled again, dropped it into gear drove it around the building through the gate at in 1st gear doing maybe 20+mph listening to the engine purrrrr, and planned on whipping it into the garage and hitting the brakes. Then he realized he didn't cut the wheel hard enough to clear the pole, hit the brake, along the way down to floor he hit the gas pedal also while not hitting the clutch soon enough and smacked into the pole with the engine still running and car in gear. I would be willing to bet he had his foot on the gas somewhat when the car hit the wall.

Accidents do happen, but that's why we pay insurance. I already issued my opinion, if you have a good legal standing you should ask for the moon. Regardless it's all going to be a hassle.

good luck.

Friendchicken

Originally posted by TopRacer
I dont believe this comment to some extent due to the fact that by law i dont believe that I am entitled to tell the buyer about the accident if they do not ask...true??

Thanks...

You have to admit all accidents when selling the car. It's not one of those wasn't asked, didn't tell things.

Every dealer I took my car into for estimation for trade-in value if it was ever in an accident. A claims/accident adjuster can tell if a car has been in an accident btw... you better pray that the repaint on the front matches the rest of the panels on your car. They will assume accident first.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

TopRacer

Why Yellow...? BECAUSE!!
Established Member
Originally posted by ironstang
TopRacer,
Could you explain the details of when you bought the car and when this happened? Was this immediately after taking delivery or the next day or a week later. How many miles were on the vehicle when this happened?

Delivery of car 07.09.02
Recked 09.19.02
4,500 miles...

I have be thinking of restitution, like making them paint the whole car so that it will all blend in...the guy even mentions to me, "hey, you want ghost flames on the car cause we do them as well"...i just chuckled and thought that if he is willing to through comments like that out then I should definately be able to get the whole car painted. Also, was thinking of the other suggestion that Mac03Cobra stated to have the dealership give me free services such as SUV rental with Quality Car Maint. and other Warrentied items and anything else?

Sorry about the harsh comment...i got pissed off and should use some anger like that at the dealership...

TopRacer

Why Yellow...? BECAUSE!!
Established Member
And the mileage of the car checks out good:

- Left it a Holman with 4576.6 miles...
- Oil Change and Rotate tires... = .5 to .6 miles from parking to engine bay and back
- Delivered to Body Shop = 4.8 miles
- Overnight storage to engine bay(POLE) to parking area to engine bay = ~ .9
- Check mileage = 4583.3

So APPROX. .4 miles that are lost but that could be some sort of transportation that I didnt think of...

46stang

Established Member
no offense to top racer but can someone lock this thread and maybe start another or something?? reading this everytime i come to this site is getting frustrating:::::mad:

Warning: Too many connections in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forums/admin/db_mysql.php on line 38

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience

again, i apologize top racer!!!
Leon

TopRacer

Why Yellow...? BECAUSE!!
Established Member
I think that part of that might have to do with the 100,000+ views of "MORE DEALER ABUSE" thread...there must be links on other sites to that post and then back out again...

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by TopRacer
I think that part of that might have to do with the 100,000+ views of "MORE DEALER ABUSE" thread...there must be links on other sites to that post and then back out again...
You hit the nail on the head TR...

Another couple of days and we should be good to go (back to normal...).

Users who are viewing this thread