Can you buy E85 in bulk?

SN8KBYT_1

Established Member
Hey all. Anyone buy E85 in 55 gallon drums? I live in SD and I am about 20 miles from closest station. I would love to buy a 55 drum and keep in my garage... I may just buy one and fill it up with 5 gallons at a time....

greenflash00

Established Member
If it were me I would just buy a drum and then go fill that up. e85 is quicker to go bad than regular gas but it should keep much longer if in a sealed drum. When it sits in your tank it's vented so it would go bad faster.

There may be a place online that sells it by the drum but I haven't seen one.

greenflash00

Established Member
I've heard multiple things on the "shelf life" of e85. I've heard up to 6 months if sealed. Some have said longer. I think the best thing to do is to buy your e85 once you start driving it again. I wouldn't buy it now and let is sit for 6 months. In any case the trick is to have it sealed up tight for the best shelf life.

I plan on buying a lined 55gal drum online and a hand pump and then drive to fill up. When you're storing it put two 2x4's under the barrel to get it off the ground a bit to allow for some airflow under the barrel and for any possible vapor expansion. I've seen people use plastic or metal drums.

Users who are viewing this thread