Can you clean the lower intake?

Blown01GT

Established Member
My lower intake has some oil resedue and stuff in it, its pretty dirty. I have had the upper off it for a few days too so I was wondering if I could pressure wash it or something or would water get trapped in it?

intake.jpg

jd93gt

Established Member
I've heard something about someone using their dishwasher :rockon: .... but I would just throw some foaming engine degreaser on there.. let it sit for a bit and the spray it ou with a hose... should be good to go.

Blown01GT

Established Member
Originally posted by jd93gt
I've heard something about someone using their dishwasher :rockon: .... but I would just throw some foaming engine degreaser on there.. let it sit for a bit and the spray it ou with a hose... should be good to go.
wont water and or debris get trapped in there?

Blown01GT

Established Member
Im not worried about what product to use, I just dont wanna mess anything up by spraying all that water inside the intake.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
extrude honing is like 600 bux.

a guy used to port them for 250 but he doesn't anymore. all the rest of the porters are a bit more expensive.

Scott Kim

Established Member
you can clean, scrub, and spray all you want. just drill and pop out a freeze plug or two and make sure you've got all the garbage out and dried. you can buy replacement plugs at Autozone to replace.

If you want to P&P you better make damn sure you've gotten all the shavings out (this means at least taking out all plugs or cutting the bottom off for a real thorough job - will give easier access to runners as well)

mikep01

Established Member
Originally posted by 99cobrablack
go to a local machine shop and have it hot tanked, will be well worth your time and money.
alumminum cant be hot tanked in chemicals, it can onl be downe with soap and water. if you wat to du it your self, simple green or a degreaser with some elbow grease dose an excelent job..

Blown01GT

Established Member
Originally posted by Scott Kim
you can clean, scrub, and spray all you want. just drill and pop out a freeze plug or two and make sure you've got all the garbage out and dried. you can buy replacement plugs at Autozone to replace.

If you want to P&P you better make damn sure you've gotten all the shavings out (this means at least taking out all plugs or cutting the bottom off for a real thorough job - will give easier access to runners as well)
Im probly just gonna soak it in simple green and pressure wash it.

How do you remove these plugs? Where are they located? Is it necessary?

Scott Kim

Established Member
freeze plug location: they look like 8 dimples on the bottom side of the lower manifold that are on the side of the plenum (open space below the curvature of the runners)

freeze plug removal: drill hole, pop out with slide hammer or screwdriver if you like

is it necessary?: not really if you're just washing it. but definitely if you're doing some grinding. but why wash it in the first place? it'll only get dirty again and it doesn't affect performance. while you've got it (intake) out do some real work on it.

GOOD LUCK

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Originally posted by Scott Kim
freeze plug location: they look like 8 dimples on the bottom side of the lower manifold that are on the side of the plenum (open space below the curvature of the runners)

freeze plug removal: drill hole, pop out with slide hammer or screwdriver if you like

is it necessary?: not really if you're just washing it. but definitely if you're doing some grinding. but why wash it in the first place? it'll only get dirty again and it doesn't affect performance. while you've got it (intake) out do some real work on it.

GOOD LUCK

Got pics by chance?

Users who are viewing this thread