Can you run 19 psi on 93pump?

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
My boost gauge reads 18-19 pounds and my car uses 93. It is compound boosted, though.

Boost is different when it varies from the displacement of the blower and the size of the turbo.
For an example a small turbo would need to boost 20 PSI to get 700hp were as a bigger turbo will run less boost to get 700hp, maybe 10-12lbs.

2nd2none

Established Member
17-18# in San Diego on 91 octane. Kenne Bell website actually states "Maximum recommened boost for street is 18 psi, regardless of fuel octane or tune. 19-27 psi for competition use only with higher octane fuel."

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
why roll the dice on a issue that could cost you 10-15K to fix for an added 25-40 hp

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Boost is different when it varies from the displacement of the blower and the size of the turbo.
For an example a small turbo would need to boost 20 PSI to get 700hp were as a bigger turbo will run less boost to get 700hp, maybe 10-12lbs.

I know - I'm not sure where the "You can only run xx PSI on pump gas" line of thinking came from on these cars. It's going to vary from setup to setup, no two cars are the same.

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
A lot of very useful info here. So here is what im trying to figure out. I got stock crank pulley and 3.0" (17psi), 2.7/8"(19psi) and one for 24psi. I want a pump tune and race tune. Initially i was thinking of 19psi pulley with two tunes: 1. 93 pump just to drive around 2. Mix of 93 and vp or just straight race gas for track or weekend fun.
I know its easy to change pulley, i just don't want to mess with taking accessory belt and supercharger belt off every time i change pulley.
Can i keep same belt for 3" and 2.7/8" and just do two different tunes???

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

1320 Junkie

Established Member
A lot of very useful info here. So here is what im trying to figure out. I got stock crank pulley and 3.0" (17psi), 2.7/8"(19psi) and one for 24psi. I want a pump tune and race tune. Initially i was thinking of 19psi pulley with two tunes: 1. 93 pump just to drive around 2. Mix of 93 and vp or just straight race gas for track or weekend fun.
I know its easy to change pulley, i just don't want to mess with taking accessory belt and supercharger belt off every time i change pulley.
Can i keep same belt for 3" and 2.7/8" and just do two different tunes???

This is what I do....when initially tuning I run my gas tank down to less than 20 miles to empty....tune the car for street boost. Once that's done I add 5 gallons of shell URT 105 and make the timing changes and pulley change...this way it has the least amount of pump gas diluting the 105 as possible...just my method everyone does things differently.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
An 1/8" pulley change should not require a belt swap

Carlos c

Established Member
I did...........even though I have a totally different setup 19lbs is pushing it.

017cf268.jpg

37e1f68d.jpg

Last edited:

gearhead08

Established Member
Gosh good discussion, any inputs for me I live in florida right now have vmp tvs tuned for 93 octane has 2.59 pulley, i think im running around 15.5 16 lbs of boost i have stripper vmp tvs. What im wondering is when I move to arizona in the next couple months all they have is 91. I was hoping I could just throw a half can of torco or a full can in instead of getting the tune revised... but if its smarter i guess ill just revise the tune.

SuperFly03

Established Member
:shrug:
Gosh good discussion, any inputs for me I live in florida right now have vmp tvs tuned for 93 octane has 2.59 pulley, i think im running around 15.5 16 lbs of boost i have stripper vmp tvs. What im wondering is when I move to arizona in the next couple months all they have is 91. I was hoping I could just throw a half can of torco or a full can in instead of getting the tune revised... but if its smarter i guess ill just revise the tune.

I am running into the same problem when I move to Oklahoma. I have decided I will blend local 91 100% gas with Torco for 95 octane and rock on with my 93 tune. It will cost me another couple bucks a tank but whatever. You have to pay to play.

gearhead08

Established Member
:shrug:

I am running into the same problem when I move to Oklahoma. I have decided I will blend local 91 100% gas with Torco for 95 octane and rock on with my 93 tune. It will cost me another couple bucks a tank but whatever. You have to pay to play.

You blending a half can of torco with 91 to get 94? Or a full can?

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
Ok, so i figured with addition of long tubes and vmp heat exchanger Im going to run current 3" 17psi pulley on 93 pump and full race gas with a change to 2 7/8" 19 psi. I do need next size down belt so it won't slack to much with 2 7/8.

armycook1981

Established Member
I would get with Van he has a Belt break down list i think on his site.. I just gave him my pulley sizes and lower pulley and he told me the correct length.

go the new belt in like 2 days if i recall.

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
if it were me, i would just run, advanced timing for race gas and less time for pump gas. It would be to much of a hassle for me to change out pulleys all the time.

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
if it were me, i would just run, advanced timing for race gas and less time for pump gas. It would be to much of a hassle for me to change out pulleys all the time.

Pulley change is about 10min at the most. I only want to do a size down pulley so i don't have to change belt.

Users who are viewing this thread