Can you tell if this motor is pullied?

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
Can you tell from this pic if this motor has been pullied? It's from a 2012 GT500.

image-23.jpg

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes. Not a stock pulley. Can't tell the size though.

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
Seems weird that it would be pullied and not have a JLT intake (or the like) set up. Unless it was removed and sold. Don't you need a "tune" when its pullied? Or if its only one size smaller, maybe not?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Seems weird that it would be pullied and not have a JLT intake (or the like) set up. Unless it was removed and sold. Don't you need a "tune" when its pullied? Or if its only one size smaller, maybe not?

It'd need a tune.

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
Hey 3Cobra#694, I see you're in SW Florida too. Who does your tuning or who would you recommend over here? I was thinking of just running over to Power by the Hour in Ft Lauderdale on the way home after I pick up the car.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
What does the 2.6 pully do as a performance upgrade on these motors? Shouldn't there be another idler pully near the blower to take up the slack in the belt?

It should make at least 520-530whp and have a 90mm idler to the lower left of the blower which we can't see in the pic. Why did you buy a car with no idea what's done to it, was it a steal?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Hey 3Cobra#694, I see you're in SW Florida too. Who does your tuning or who would you recommend over here? I was thinking of just running over to Power by the Hour in Ft Lauderdale on the way home after I pick up the car.

VMP does my stuff via email. I have a w/b though.

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
It should make at least 520-530whp and have a 90mm idler to the lower left of the blower which we can't see in the pic. Why did you buy a car with no idea what's done to it, was it a steal?

I didn't buy it yet. That's why I am asking these questions ahead of time.

Without the idler, will there be belt slippage or what?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I didn't buy it yet. That's why I am asking these questions ahead of time.

Without the idler, will there be belt slippage or what?

Exactly and who knows what else is done to the car. My advice would be to find a car you know the history on for example the market section here. What are they asking and mileage i assume from a dealership?

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
See if a hand held turn is included, if not use that to negotiate the price down since it will be required. The car may or may not be tuned properly but you can't tell without a tuner. Even if there is a tuner it might not be tuned properly so for your piece of mind get a new tune for whatever's done to the car.

Mongopushn

Established Member
If a Ford dealer maybe ask them to swap with a stock pulley and flash the vehicle back to stock. That way you won't have future tuning issues if it already has someone else's tune in it.

Or find if the tuner is in the vehicle which is doubtful.

Are they offering any warranty?

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
If a Ford dealer maybe ask them to swap with a stock pulley and flash the vehicle back to stock. That way you won't have future tuning issues if it already has someone else's tune in it.

Or find if the tuner is in the vehicle which is doubtful.

Are they offering any warranty?

The last thing you want to do is have the tune returned to stock with unknown mods. Remote tune will be tricky without that info as well. Best hope is a dyno tune and negotiate that into the deal.

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
its a good deal, at a dealer (not a Ford dealer) and I'm seriously considering an extended warranty. Also, I talked to a performance shop that specializes in Mustangs within an hour of the dealership. They said they could dyno tune it on Tuesday right after I pick it up. And I might just rent a car trailer and go "pick it up" on the trailer and take it right to Power by the Hour and have them do their thing. PBH did strongly recommend a handheld tuner also. I am thinking just doing the tune, get the tuner and a JLT intake all at the same time and be done with it.

Mongopushn

Established Member
Only thing is any added warranty might fly out the window once you take it to the dyno shop, if ever proven by the dealership . At least the shop could check for larger injectors, exhaust mods,etc.

Users who are viewing this thread