Can't decide on a turbo cam

Nebs24

Established Member
Hey guys so I'm in the middle of a turbo build and have spent hours apon hours researching every forums on the good old interweb only to be more confused then when I first started looking. I'm looking for a cam that's going to complement my build but not have my full spool at 5grand. something that comes in quick and pulls like a freight to redline(7-7500). I've read you want a tight lsa, a wide lsa , it's in the degreeing etc. I'm 90% street car so most of the time the car will be on 93 pump but I will have e85 tune for the other 10%. I appreciate the help guys. I've had a few shops quote custom grinds and for the most part there all pretty different or close to there off the shelf cams.

build specs. 04 cobra Manley 11cc pistons, Manley rods arp 2000 bolts, stock crank, with all arp hardware throughout, ports heads, ti retainers, Manley +1 valves, Manley springs, custom sheetmetal intake manifold with accufab tb, 3.5 inch piping with a s380r 1.25 ar

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 381

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
I'm confused on why you are on a s380 with everything else being overkill. Either way, talk to NAsvt have him make you a custom grind and profit.

Mrpancho95

Established Member
Talk to NASVT on his Facebook page he can get you where you need and that set up looks bad ass, is that the cgfab setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
My mmr cams are awesome. 250wtq at 2000rpm without any boost, on a 5.3 mod mill at 9.3/1 on 91 octane.

Consider my entire combo is all high rpm parts, save my intake manifold, and that it's making very solid power at cruising rpm.

I made 720whp with a break in tune (very soft) and 10psi on this combo, at least 60whp of my gains vs my last combo are from these cams, they rock.

Last edited:

Nebs24

Established Member
Nightmare My buddy had the s380 sitting on the shelf from a supra he had a few cars back. He bought a stock cobra couldn't resist my ported eaton sitting on the shelf. It's an 87mm with a 1.25ar So we'll see how it does and go from there are my thoughts.

Mrpancho I've also ben in convo with NASVT we've shot a couple messages back and forth. I got the hot side off of this site said it was a custom setup T4 flange. My plan was to go with cg fabs setup but this fell in my lap for a lot cheaper

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
There's a guy over on Corral that did my cam's named Freezy. He is extremely knowledgeable about custom grinds and will work with you to give you exactly what you want/need, plus he's extremely reasonable! I paid less for custom grind bullets from Freezy for less than what off the shelf cams cost. If you want his contact info, send me a PM and i'll hook you up (he is also in the Jersey area too I believe, so that might work out for you)

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Is this an Auto or stick car? Degreeing the cams properly is going to make a big difference on how the power band is shifted.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Let us know if we can help, our company specializes in Turbo Grinds and our cams have dominated the NMCA and NMRA series with both class specific and custom turbo cams with multiple championships and world records. Our cams are constantly evolving and our latest cam grinds are cutting edge technology based on real world racing experience. Feel free to PM anytime to discuss your needs!

5%20seconds.jpg

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
Intake manifold runner length will heavily change turbo spooling as well. The one in that pic looks like pretty short runners, which will delay spooling.

Definitely contact someone about custom cams. I recommend Todd (NA_SVT) also.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
It's a 6 speed

You are going to have to make a trade off somewhere. Being that is a 6 speed with those short runners you are going to sacrifice some spool time. I do not think you will be able to have your cake and eat it too in this situation. You can mess cam degreeing to get it to spool faster but it may fall off a little up top.

Trackman

Established Member
Nice lookin set up!

Accufab cams will get you in the 8s....or 7s

Last edited:

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
Just to add a bit more to this... When I was specing cams for my new build I learned that most of the cams available are regrinds. Do some research on this and see if that is ok for you and how the car is used. What happens is the hardened material on the cams are ground down and depending on how aggressive you are getting it may make the cam material a bit soft.

Users who are viewing this thread