Can't decide what business to start. Please offer knowlege if you know about....

CobraJohn01

Established Member
05 Roush said:
Haul trash.

By trash I mean haul crap away from people's house as a service. You'll make a fortune. :thumbsup:

I never thought about that. Are you talking about things like junk in the garage or attic that they've been meaning to take to the dump or something? I'm just wondering how much of a demand there would be for that.

CobraJohn01

Established Member
04SCRMINYLWVERT said:
:beer: :beer: Don't go into Real Estate right now, it's on a down turn. That depends on where you live. Tech investment is where you want to be, invest in Microsoft. Now that they can run XP on a MAC machine it really makes you think. MIC. Will rule the world shortly. It's not because it's better, but just because it will be universal. :beer:

That's certainly an interesting idea. But I don't really have the extra money to put into investing right now. What I would prefer is using the money to start up my own business of some kind. Then, once I start making profits, I'd certainly look into your idea. Stupid Microsoft. They're going to own the world before I die. :bash: But of course I wouldn't be saying that if I were to make a ton of money off of them. Lol.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
05 Roush said:
Haul trash.

By trash I mean haul crap away from people's house as a service. You'll make a fortune.

That is interesting. My brother in laws younger brother does this. He bought a very used F-350 dumpbody with extending plywood sides and does hauling. He also took a unique spin on things, he placed small cheap ads for hauling away garage/unused items. He did this in the more expensive neighborhoods. He found that people there were changing out furniture and the delivery people wouldnt remove it. Others wanted to charge them a ton of money. So he went and offered very low rates to remove these "unwanted" items. Then he turned around and sold them. He is taking out brand new bedroom sets that people want gone because they are redecorating spare rooms, etc.

I also think the doggy daycare is an awesome idea.

CobraJohn01

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
That is interesting. My brother in laws younger brother does this. He bought a very used F-350 dumpbody with extending plywood sides and does hauling. He also took a unique spin on things, he placed small cheap ads for hauling away garage/unused items. He did this in the more expensive neighborhoods. He found that people there were changing out furniture and the delivery people wouldnt remove it. Others wanted to charge them a ton of money. So he went and offered very low rates to remove these "unwanted" items. Then he turned around and sold them. He is taking out brand new bedroom sets that people want gone because they are redecorating spare rooms, etc.

I also think the doggy daycare is an awesome idea.

That's very interesting. I never thought of not only getting paid to haul away the stuff, but also turning around and selling a bunch of the stuff too. Do you have any idea how much he's making per load on an average? And is making good money doing this kind of stuff? I might have to give this hauling idea more thought.

And as far as the doggy daycare, yeah, I think it would be awesome. My girlfriend and I are huge dog lovers and we just took our two dogs to a doggy daycare near downtown Cleveland last week for the first time. She is the one that dropped them off and when she picked them up, she said there must have been 30-40 dogs there. And they charge $20/day each or $32 for 2 dogs. They're only open M-F, 6:30am til 7:00pm. Not bad hours at all. They even have 4 web cameras where you can log onto their site and kind of check in on your dog. It's really cool and not too much work involved once the location and expenses are taken care of. Just have to make sure the dogs don't kill eachother and that's about it.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
FIVELITERS said:
you're knowledgeable on real estate investment yaaay.

And you arent, yet you are giving out advice on how to do something you have no experience doing:shrug:

Thanks for scaring the shit out of the guy IF he was even considering real estate.

It shouldnt scare anyone to actually know what they are getting into before getting into it. Yeah good recommendation, go into something blind with no knowledge of what to expect!!!

anyways, what i meant by that quickly concocted and creative term that i just threw out there real quick because i thought i was just making a quick little cute post to inspire this guy, since he asked, to maybe look further into personal real estate investment, but instead had a couple of pesky knowitalls try and make somebody look like a fool that doesnt know what he's talking about and now have to not needingly cover my digital ass /rant was:

Do you speak english?

a personal loan from a private party business partner (another secret code language term for a decently wealthy relative/friend that you know personally or professionally :uh oh: )

Gotcha, someone that puts up the money!!! And takes all the risk and takes a huge percentage of the profits!!!

the loan is attractive to the business partner because they dont do shit but lend you money and get some profit for it, all they know and probably care about is you're dealing with real estate and making them a % profit = happy business partner.

Who is this magical person, your grandmother. Nobody who has made enough money on their own to lend it out will do so unsecured without a huge return on their investment. And they will want a detailed "B" plan with fiduciary prospectus included.

you get the loan, you do your thing, you pay him/her back in a relatively short period of time and even ask for more money en route during the process if unexpected costs are discovered while making a promise for a higher profit than previously discussed ("more money spent = higher profit for you" routine, never heard of it? dont know what i mean? too bad, ask someone else how to financialy negotiate) that you ultimately make good on = happy investor = lets do it again sir.

Sorry the real world doesnt work that way. An investor wants all the numbers up front and doesnt want to hear that you need more money because you didnt plan correctly or foresee unexpected costs in your original analysis. An investor doesnt want to be told, unless you pony up more money so I can complete the job, it is not getting done=no profit for investor and initial investment lost=sad investor! You really have no clue!!!!

You guys ever heard of capitalization?

No i dont mean capitalizing the little letters on your keyboard.

You arent using the term correctly! Are you trying to refer to Venture Capitalists? :idea:

Cant/dont know how to find those "miracle" properties? Well you obviously dont know how to and arent looking correctly and in the right places.

Real Estate firms? ... :lol:

That is right, I forget you just go to the real estate broker and ask him to look for "miracle" properties that are undervalued by 70% and require only another 20% investment to make a 100% profit. Yeah they are all over the place, silly me :poke:

Yes. Whats your point?

My point is you have no idea of what you are talking about. You either watched a program like "flip the house" or bought into a late night informercial and now think you know what you are talking about. You dont. You are given bad advice. You dont understand the real estate market, nor how Venture Capitalists fund investments and you cant write a cogent sentence.

Soupy

Established Member
Don't know if it was said but, look into 1031 tax deferment plan if you do the real estate deal. IMHO, don't get into the "property flipping" game if you're going to pay interest on the money you need to buy your properties...

I own a business, and everybody says "that must be great, being your own boss, blah, blah, blah. Truth is, I work for my customers, my vendors and my employees. The numbers just get bigger on both sides of equation with very little left in the middle. I spent a long time trying to get out of being an employee in the real world, now I think of ways to get back in! The reality is that I'm too invested (literaly and figuratively) to ever leave my business ventures. So, if you're set on starting your own gig, my advice is to get into some type of sales (doesn't really matter what) with built in residuals. If you have the space available, try to get into the distribution end of things if you can avoid the tax man. The ultimate deal is some type of cash business where you can skim money for your bad habbits... Ask your local breakfast restaurant owner or bar owner, but then ask them how many hours they are there. I wish you luck with your search, and I hope this helps.

2003 Silver

Banned
Soupy said:
Don't know if it was said but, look into 1031 tax deferment plan if you do the real estate deal. IMHO, don't get into the "property flipping" game if you're going to pay interest on the money you need to buy your properties...

I own a business, and everybody says "that must be great, being your own boss, blah, blah, blah. Truth is, I work for my customers, my vendors and my employees. The numbers just get bigger on both sides of equation with very little left in the middle. I spent a long time trying to get out of being an employee in the real world, now I think of ways to get back in! The reality is that I'm too invested (literaly and figuratively) to ever leave my business ventures. So, if you're set on starting your own gig, my advice is to get into some type of sales (doesn't really matter what) with built in residuals. If you have the space available, try to get into the distribution end of things if you can avoid the tax man. The ultimate deal is some type of cash business where you can skim money for your bad habbits... Ask your local breakfast restaurant owner or bar owner, but then ask them how many hours they are there. I wish you luck with your search, and I hope this helps.

Business owners have big balls and nerves of steal cause the amount of debt you hold is overwhelming to the average person to conceive. "You own a business, you must be sooooo RICH!!!" Rich in debt maybe......or should I rephrase to "paper rich". Paper rich comes in very handy if you are to sell the business, but it doesn't due to much for the owner during the present.

Last edited by a moderator:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Most retail businesses are tough. They are time consuming and expensive to run. The profit margins tend to be the lowest of any type of business. They often require the most hours and most attention of any type of business. And the worst of the worst for management and amount of time consumed are restaurants.

2003 Silver

Banned
FordSVTFan said:
Most retail businesses are tough. They are time consuming and expensive to run. The profit margins tend to be the lowest of any type of business. They often require the most hours and most attention of any type of business. And the worst of the worst for management and amount of time consumed are restaurants.

You said it...especially regarding restaurants. Good thing our family business is as a service provider and a great by-product of that is Real Estate. :beer:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
CobraJohn01 said:
I never thought about that. Are you talking about things like junk in the garage or attic that they've been meaning to take to the dump or something? I'm just wondering how much of a demand there would be for that.

I know around here it's in high demand. With all the construction going on people pay just to have their junk hauled away when they're doing yard work and other stuff.

svt2ner

Established Member
fiverliters ... is just uninformed

IMO, if youre going to go realestate, buy land that hasnt perked yet (that is if you can find it)... you can pay to get water, electricty, sewage, gas installed, then sell it.. or keep it.

Last edited:

CobraJohn01

Established Member
05 Roush said:
I know around here it's in high demand. With all the construction going on people pay just to have their junk hauled away when they're doing yard work and other stuff.

What area are you in? Are you near the hurricane areas? Just curious. I do quotes for customers a lot who have dump trucks who are or were going down there to haul debris and they must get paid big bucks judging by how much they're willing to pay for the insurance to do that work.

CobraJohn01

Established Member
svt2ner said:
fiverliters ... is just uninformed

IMO, if youre going to go realestate, buy land that hasnt perked yet (that is if you can find it)... you can pay to get water, electricty, sewage, gas installed, then sell it.. or keep it.

I'd be interested in real estate if I had more knowledge, and more importantly, more resources to do it. But I just don't know enough about it or have any connections to be able to make it worth my while. Like I said above, the most I'd be able to consider as far as the real estate market would be to sell our house after we're done remodeling the kitchen, take that profit and put it down on a duplex, and then rent out one side while living in the other side. Then, once the equity has built up a bit, use that to help buy a second house and then just rent out both sides of the duplex.

CobraJohn01

Established Member
Euphoric One said:
How hard is it to open a bar and make a profit off of one?

That's a good question but I wouldn't want to open one because I wouldn't want to have to deal with the liability of drunk morons driving themselves home and killing someone and then they try to sue me or something. I wouldn't touch that bar idea with a 10 foot pole. Lol. but for anyone who has knowledge of this, maybe you could provide Euphoric with some insight....

Lurker

Established Member
I'd only start a business in something that I really love doing myself, and maybe have a buddy or family that also likes and knows doing one thing or another along with me.

The only way your business will be successful is if you are willing to put 12 hour days doing the work YOURSELF. If you will try to hire someone off the bat, and hoping that everything will run smoothly, then you should forget the idea. Then, with time, you can hire someone that you know personally or you're sure they're good at it.

So, just figure something that you love doing, a hobby or whatever and make a business plan.

CobraJohn01

Established Member
I would enjoy doing any of these things I mentioned 100 times more than my current job. And I'd be fully prepared and willing to put in numerous long days to get the business going. That's one reason why I kinda kept my options as things that I could do alone if need be or maybe with just one other person. I know good help is hard to find these days.

Users who are viewing this thread