Cant get my car tuned!!!

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
I went to go have the final tune put on my car today at ProDyno. Its a 99 cobra, prodyno built motor, aluminator block 9.2:1cr, 04 cobra heads, 01 intake cams, D1SC, lightning maf and mafia. I have the divisionX/lethal budget return fuel system on the car with 60lb injectors as well.

This is the 5th motor that has been in the car and I dont want to lose another. I found out the car already had a reman'd motor in it after it started knocking. Put in a NA aluminator, then 2 motors built by pro dyno. I had a p1 on the aluminator and first pro dyno motor, now a D1.

Essentially we made 13 runs on the dyno today. The first run after we loaded a tune to make a full pull was rich starting around 4700 to ~6000 rpm. He pulled some fuel in that area and and the second run looked closer to a flat 11.7A/F. He began working on drive-ability and some more WOT. He noticed when he pulled some more fuel in that same area (and i think this is where the problem began to rear its head) and the A/F rode nicely on 11.7 until 5500 when it began to go lean, stopped the pull. Dan loaded the previous adjustments from the second run, but the fuel trims did not follow suit, they again began to run lean unlike the 2nd pull which had been slightly rich. We started looking through the tune and noticed when he had commanded more fuel in the third run the alternator voltage began dropping, the 4th run the voltage values were under 13v and fluctuated from 12.4 to 12.8. We changed the alt on the dyno and made another run, the voltage was worse. Replaced the alternator with the previous one and voltage never dropped below 13v again. Runs 5-9 had problems either running too rich, too lean, or blowing off the elbow at the TB.

Every time we made a run, things would look great until 4750rpm then it would either go rich or lean with the same exact fuel commands in place. When the runs were cut short, there were 2 occasions in which the car felt like it had a bad miss and he let out and the car ran rough a couple seconds and he shut the car off. When restarted, it seemed like a cylinder had starved for fuel and knocked for a few seconds, then cleared up and went away.

We then checked the plugs and everything checked out fine, not detonation, no fouling. We tried brainstorming on what could be effecting the A/F to consistently change at 4750rpm, but it would be random whether it would run rich or begin to tip in to the lean side. It seems heat related, although iats were around 100. By this time the car cooled down some and we were on run 10 on his dyno, we loaded the tune from the second run and laid a beautiful 611/540 hp/tq but was the richest run by far. Since the problem seemed to be heat relate we made 3 more runs not changing a single item, again running into the same rich/lean at the same 4700rpms. Im stumped as to whats causing this guys. Is it the computer, injector driver module, a bad ground?

The GOOD:
fuel pressure is 50-54psi WOT
MAF signal is smooth
Timing is constant at 17* and not being pulled
Plugs looked good @ .032
Max boost 16# only fighting a tiny bit of slip with my 8 rib
Made sure the tune file was not corrupt, (deleted, started a new file and even deleted the factory binary just for shits and giggles)
injectors are brand new

The BAD:
Random A/F starting @4700 with no changes to fuel trim
Seems heat related, after cooling down the car will make a solid run with decent A/F then get worse each run
Seems like it starved for fuel on pass side on 2 runs, knocked for a very short time on start up after those runs
During some of the later runs, after 4250rpms, no data would be logged other than the A/F and live readings on the dyno
Are the injectors closing when they get warmer, although they are new?

So im in need of some direction, has anyone had this problem? What can i do? What can i test? How do I fix this issue? Does this seem like a specific computer, wiring harness, or fuel component problem?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't have much experience with return set ups, but isn't that fuel pressure a little low? Assuming your base pressure is 40psi, 40+16=56. I would think you'd want closer to 60psi under boost. Maybe the regulator is acting up?

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Any change your tuner has an actual ford computer? I'm wondering if the ECU itself is corrupt. I had a problem with my cobra where the A/F was always reading lean (totally maxed out fuel trims) but the car STANK of fuel. Connected to an actual ford computer, the ECU spit out gobbledygook for gear ratio, and some kind of checksum thing. Had to go back to the dealer for a reflash. No amounting of flashing tunes with an xcal was writing over the portions of the ECU that were corrupt.

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
What exactly do you mean by actual ford computer? Like a spare 99 ecu?

We're trying to find another 99 ecu or hope that one runs through their shop soon, although i did forget to mention that while the car was at Fastlane in Benson NC, they tried another 99 computer but claimed the culprit to my problem then was my bad alternator which i had upgraded to a 160amp (that or 180)

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
Slow, Im not sure on this either. I do know that my base is 40psi. Dan told me hes seen cars with 50psi feed 650hp. Its just odd that on all my runs the fuel pressure is very consistent but at 4750 rpms it will either go rich, or start to climb over 12 A/F

po-po 5.0

Established Member
What exactly do you mean by actual ford computer? Like a spare 99 ecu?

We're trying to find another 99 ecu or hope that one runs through their shop soon, although i did forget to mention that while the car was at Fastlane in Benson NC, they tried another 99 computer but claimed the culprit to my problem then was my bad alternator which i had upgraded to a 160amp (that or 180)

Sorry. A ford diagnostic tool, not an ECU.

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
I can see, hes having a ford tech come drive a HD truck he has at the shop to see about load testing and drive-ability, and checking on fuel in each cylinder. Hes gonna have him ride around in my car. The bad part is that the car only does this at 4750+ rpm but the test is conducted below 3k, but maybe worth a shot.

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
One thing i forgot to mention was, when we cut the car off for the last time on the dyno and chatted and then restarted it to park it on the other side of the shop, it wouldnt hold a steady A/F 14.7 at idle. It hadnt done this all day, it had been a 14.5 -15, but when we went to move it, it dropped down to 12.98

AluminatorSnake

Established Member

im no longer with the car, its in SC and im in VA for another day then back to PA.

With logging injector output, how is that read? What type of signal will that give me? And im assuming im just looking for a value that is close across all 8, and not a specific number?

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
llp8i.jpg

Heres 3 runs, run 10 being the best.

Run 7 was by far the most lean
Run 8 followed the A/F curve of run 10, but made terrible power and felt odd like it was having a miss

Again the problem arises at 4750rpms.

The chart line is set on 12 due to using a sniffer. My NGK AFX with the ntk sensor read 11.5-11.8 before we made it past 4750

also around 6k rpms i start seeing a bit of belt slip, im at 15-16# at that point

Last edited:

03Steve

Established Member
im no longer with the car, its in SC and im in VA for another day then back to PA.

With logging injector output, how is that read? What type of signal will that give me? And im assuming im just looking for a value that is close across all 8, and not a specific number?

Injector output is read in a number of ways. If you are using the OEM CVAE7 processor from your 99 Cobra and SCT to log, the units are time based. What you are looking for is consistency from pull to pull. If you do not have consistency with injector output from one pull to the next, focus on control criteria that stabilizes injector output. If you do have injector consistency between pulls and the AFR varies, look elsewhere (fuel pressure, ignition, unmetered air, etc).

While you are testing it may be better to work in the 14 deg range for spark.

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
Could this be caused by a bad O2 sensor? Anyone seen this happen?

Im just trying to make a list of simple things to check before I start changing or replacing parts that may not need it. As far as boost or vacuum leaks, I sprayed brake clean at all the silicone adapters and nothing changed in idle or A/F.

Ill be checking voltage drop on the ground connection and wires
looking over the fuel system.

What else could I add to that list

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Are the O2s off for the entirety of WOT, regardless of RPM? I've been reading another forum and I think it was a WRX that was datalogged and showed that it did in fact pull info from the O2 sensors until it got to a certain RPM. Since this problem is happening at a certain RPM, that's what made me think of it - are we absolutely positive that the ECU doesn't use the O2s at all at ANY point of WOT?

03Steve

Established Member
Check injector output.

Narrowband O2s are not used under WOT with pre-2011 Mustangs with both stock and typical aftermarket calibrations.

Users who are viewing this thread