Cant get rid of the RedLine tranny oil stench

dezracer

I recently had the T-56 rebuilt. the shop strongly recommended red line ATF fluid. Probably because they sell it. Any way if you have ever smelled this stuff it stinks to high heaven. After bolting the tranny back in and driving off I noticed the unmistakeable smell wafting in. I figured it would burn off where ever it was even though we were very careful pouring the stuff in Thru the shifter box (since the shifter was off). We also wiped all residue off the tranny and cleaned with brake cleaner.

Well after 500 miles it was still there:fm: There are no leaks and the vent hose and cap are exactley where they are supposed to be. I finally said screw this shit and drained it and replaced it with the stock Dexron. Cleaned everything up spic and span and the stink is still there:fm: WTF!! Where can this be coming from? It is definatley redline gear oil. When the windows are rolled up with the air going the smell is not there at all. Roll the windows down and it comes wafting in. Any ideas?

SLPRCTM

Established Member
I have not had this issue but are all your gaskets/seals in place under your shifter? That would seam to be a good place for smells to be able to enter the passenger compartment. Just a thought.....

dezracer

Thanks yea thats the first place I went to. All is bottmed up tight and I used Cobra Bobs shifter gasket. Actually now that I have switched out the fluid to the stock stuff it seems to be going away slowly but surley. There must have been enough of the red line coated on the gears and inide of tranny case to continue to smell for awhile. This is the 2nd and LAST time I put redline anyhting in my car. Both times I could not stand the stink. Only thing we can figure is it was wafting out the vent tube on top of the tranny and somehow finding its way in. Strange but true.

Users who are viewing this thread