can't get the wheel off... dooh!

AMP

SVT Dad X2
Established Member
I didn't break a stud. probably worse. It feels like it is unseated, or stripped out at the base of the stud. I can't get the lug nut off because it feels like everything just keeps spinning. If I could just break the stud I would, but I can't even get the wheel off, so I don't know how I can even replace the stud.

Please help if anyone has had this happen. Searched, but it seems that everyones been lucky enough for the studs to just snap.

thanks in advance,
Aaron

03COBRASILVER

Established Member
Take all the other lug nuts off, put an air gun on the free spinning stud with it positioned at the bottom, pull the trigger and pull the top of the wheel towards you as hard as you can. If that doesn't work grab a breaker bar that is solid, no swivel or pivit at the socket end of it (the Gorilla Power Bar is perfect for this), attach socket, put on lug nut and start yanking the breaker bar top to bottom, if you have enough room to move it, you will eventually, 30-40 repetitions, fatigue/heat the stud enough where it will break.

AMP

SVT Dad X2
Established Member
03COBRASILVER said:
Take all the other lug nuts off, put an air gun on the free spinning stud with it positioned at the bottom, pull the trigger and pull the top of the wheel towards you as hard as you can. If that doesn't work grab a breaker bar that is solid, no swivel or pivit at the socket end of it (the Gorilla Power Bar is perfect for this), attach socket, put on lug nut and start yanking the breaker bar top to bottom, if you have enough room to move it, you will eventually, 30-40 repetitions, fatigue/heat the stud enough where it will break.

03cobrasilver,

I'll let you know how it works in a few minutes. thanks.

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
If the lug is spinning loose try jacking it up remove the rest of the lug and see if the wheel will pull out enough to grab the loose stud and try to remove the lug

AMP

SVT Dad X2
Established Member
not happening. I can't break the stud. I looked behing the wheel, and I can see that the stud is completely stripped at the hub, and floats freely in and out about 1/8". I don't have enough play to bend the lug back and forth to make it snap.

Any other ideas?

03COBRASILVER

Established Member
AMP said:
not happening. I can't break the stud. I looked behing the wheel, and I can see that the stud is completely stripped at the hub, and floats freely in and out about 1/8". I don't have enough play to bend the lug back and forth to make it snap.

Any other ideas?

If you have enough room to look behind the wheel, do you have enough room to get a die grinder with a cutoff wheel in there?

AMP

SVT Dad X2
Established Member
03COBRASILVER said:
If you have enough room to look behind the wheel, do you have enough room to get a die grinder with a cutoff wheel in there?

thought about that. I don't think anything I have could fit in there. Not and still be able to see what I'm cutting anyways.

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
I know you don't wana hear it buy you are probly going to have to use a torch....I had a friend that heated up the nut then zipped it off with a air gun.

AMP

SVT Dad X2
Established Member
thanks for all of the replies guys. I really appreciate it. Here's a pic of the problem. Maybe this will help. I think cutting off the stud from the back or grinding down the flange might be the only way, but it's not gonna be fun.

wheel_stud_000.JPG

Last edited:

AMP

SVT Dad X2
Established Member
stangd1909 said:
Thats a dam tight squeeze!!

pics up now, but not great. all I wanted to do is mount the pump for my Meth injection. Now this......

:cuss:

03COBRASILVER

Established Member
AMP said:
pics up now, but not great. all I wanted to do is mount the pump for my Meth injection. Now this......

:cuss:

Mount it on the other side! J/K! To get more room on the backside to cut the stud, can you pull the spindle off with the wheel attached? I haven't taken a look at our spindle retention yet myself, so I don't know if you can.

V8muscle

Injected and blown
Established Member
How about a quick tack weld? That should hold the stud enough to get the nut loose.

AMP

SVT Dad X2
Established Member
It's off. I ground it down with a flex attachment for a dremel and a carbide grinding bit. when all of the flange was ground down, it slid out through the rim. If there is any question.... yes, it sucked almost as much as getting kicked in the balls!

thanks for all of the ideas guys!

Users who are viewing this thread