Canton oil pan install problem. Please help.

indycobra

Established Member
I am to the point in my rebuild when I install my Canton oil pan and I see a problem? I already cut the stock scraper bracket off the pickup tube with my die grinder so that clears but it looks to me like the pickup tube itself is right up against one of the windage tray brackets (see circle in pic). My engine builder sold me two gaskets for each side of the windage tray but there is no way I could use the one under the tray because that would raise it even further into the pickup tube. With NOTHING under the tray it will kind of teader on this bracket a little. I could probably tighten it up but it would definetly flex the tray. Is this normal? Any advice?

url]

DSC03567.jpg

DSC03568.jpg

indycobra

Established Member
racebronco2 said:
when i installed the windage tray i remember cutting some of it off to clear the pickup tube.

You cut material off of the windage tray?
Ive read of many who have cut the scraper brkt off the pickup tube but i was starting to think I was the only one with this problem.

SVTboy

Established Member
I ran into this problem as well, get the tube bolted in on both ends, using a small punch tap the windage tray to bend it in slightly untill it no longer touches, rotate the engine to make sure everything spins free, just take your time and check the clearance...

indycobra

Established Member
SVTboy said:
I ran into this problem as well, get the tube bolted in on both ends, using a small punch tap the windage tray to bend it in slightly untill it no longer touches, rotate the engine to make sure everything spins free, just take your time and check the clearance...

Thanks, that sounds like good advice. Did you use a gasket between the block and tray or just silicone?

Users who are viewing this thread