Car and driver hellcat tire test

rwboring

Established Member
I'm at work so I gotta make this quick. Did anyone see the new C&D test with the different tires on the hellcat?

Driver: Andy Durham (owns super stock challenger)

Stock tires: Pirelli P Zero 11.5@119 (heated to 150-200 deg and 24psi)
DR's: 555R 11.2@122
Slicks: Hoosier 28.0/10.0-17 11.4@119 (different rims)

rwboring

Established Member
i dont think it said but i'm guessing auto by context clues.

its interesting that the slicks got a slower time

also to note, they said warming them to the 150-200 knocked off a couple tenths.

keep in mind this is a pro driver as well and there was a SRT development manager there also...

Last edited:

jtfx6552

Established Member
Why make excuses for the Hellcat, it ran what it ran. I think a certain 10 second auto hellcat may have some secret sauce...

jbs$

Established Member
I kept thinking that I was going to change back tires until I read this report. the P zero, which I have, seem to perform just fine.

billross

Established Member
I just ran across that article too. It's in the current issue (May) Car and Driver. They said the car was an automatic. Hoosier doesn't make slicks that fit the stock 20 inch wheels, so they had to use steel wheels big enough to fit over the Hellcat's big brakes. They said the 40 pound steel wheels weighed a lot more than the forged aluminum stock wheels and they thought the extra weight slowed the car by "a couple of tenths". It was also interesting that they got the best times on the stock P Zeros by running them at 24 PSI and they got the best time on the NT555s by running at 20 PSI.

edit:
P.S. The cover of that Car and Driver issue folds out into a 3 page poster of the new Ford GT supercar. Sharp looking car!

Last edited:

Blackdevil77

Established Member
Why make excuses for the Hellcat, it ran what it ran. I think a certain 10 second auto hellcat may have some secret sauce...

I just try to be fair. If it was our cars that ran those times, I'd be making excuses to, so I'll do it for them also.

There's more than one 10 second Hellcat and one of them I know FOR SURE doesn't have the secret sauce. Just an excellent driver. The 10.4 Hellcat at 133mph, that one definitely had a little something extra. I'm talking about the 10.8 runs at 127ish mph.

jtfx6552

Established Member
I just try to be fair. If it was our cars that ran those times, I'd be making excuses to, so I'll do it for them also.

There's more than one 10 second Hellcat and one of them I know FOR SURE doesn't have the secret sauce. Just an excellent driver. The 10.4 Hellcat at 133mph, that one definitely had a little something extra. I'm talking about the 10.8 runs at 127ish mph.

Our cars aren't "put them in drive automatics". You've personally seen one run 10s?

Blackdevil77

Established Member
Our cars aren't "put them in drive automatics". You've personally seen one run 10s?

A Hellcat? No, but I know somebody that owns one on Hellcat.org that is a seasoned drag racer that ran one into the 10's. With the gearing and autos, the car's are able to launch pretty hard. They can put down 1.6x 60 foots with DR's, which is how they can get those E.T'.s Trap speeds are about the same as our cars. If our cars were able to get a 1.6x 60 foot stock with a good driver, I'm sure it would run 10.8's also. Clutch protection in the stock tune makes that impossible.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
A Hellcat? No, but I know somebody that owns one on Hellcat.org that is a seasoned drag racer that ran one into the 10's. With the gearing and autos, the car's are able to launch pretty hard. They can put down 1.6x 60 foots with DR's, which is how they can get those E.T'.s Trap speeds are about the same as our cars. If our cars were able to get a 1.6x 60 foot stock with a good driver, I'm sure it would run 10.8's also. Clutch protection in the stock tune makes that impossible.

I dont even know why you're entertaining his bitter foolishness. Im sure if they ran in Denver, with a 50mph headwind, and the car laid down 14's he would be saying "no excuses, hellcats are 14 sec cars bro" lol

It's hilarious how guys were downplaying brand new 555's on that GT500 vs Hellcat race. Claiming they were only marginally better than stock tires. And here they are outperforming 28" slicks.

Last edited:

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I dont even know why you're entertaining his bitter foolishness. Im sure if they ran in Denver, with a 50mph headwind, and the car laid down 14's he would be saying "no excuses, hellcats are 14 sec cars bro" lol

It's hilarious how guys were downplaying brand new 555's on that GT500 vs Hellcat race. Claiming they were only marginally better than stock tires. And here they are outperforming 28" slicks.

Those 555's gotta be pretty good if they can get 60 foot times of 1.6x seconds and snap driveshafts.

Which GT500 vs Hellcat race are you talking about? If you're talking about the blue GT500 vs Fatt-Cat, I have a slight suspicion something was amiss with those runs. I ran an Auto Hellcat in Mexico last Saturday, I don't know if you saw my post, and while he did beat me, it wasn't anywhere near that dramatic. Roll started from about 70ish, I started in 3rd and we went to nearly the top of 4th gear and my front bumper was at his rear fender. I posted this on Hellcat.org also in an attempt to try and find the owner. The folks over there also think that was a bunk race, and they're all Hellcat people!

Last edited:

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
Those 555's gotta be pretty good if they can get 60 foot times of 1.6x seconds and snap driveshafts.

Which GT500 vs Hellcat race are you talking about? If you're talking about the blue GT500 vs Fatt-Cat, I have a slight suspicion something was amiss with those runs. I ran an Auto Hellcat in Mexico last Saturday, I don't know if you saw my post, and while he did beat me, it wasn't anywhere near that dramatic. Roll started from about 70ish, I started in 3rd and we went to nearly the top of 4th gear and my front bumper was at his rear fender. I posted this on Hellcat.org also in an attempt to try and find the owner.

Nope didn't see it. Going look now. Nothing was up with Fattcats race. Maybe the GT500 driver wasnt as good as you.

Also running through one gear isnt where the hellcat gaps the shelby. Its in the shifts. Had the race been from a 20 or even 40 roll it would have been much uglier.
Do you have a link to the race?

Last edited:

Blackdevil77

Established Member
Nope didn't see it. Going look now. Nothing was up with Fattcats race. Maybe the GT500 driver wasnt as good as you.

Also running through one gear isnt where the hellcat gaps the shelby. Its in the shifts. Had the race been from a 20 or even 40 roll it would have been much uglier.
Do you have a link to the race?

I didn't get my race on video, unfortunately. Here's a link to the thread I started on Hellcat.org

http://www.hellcat.org/threads/who-was-that-on-sunrise-highway-in-bay-shore-today.5748/

93 347 Cobra

Established Member

Which GT500 vs Hellcat race are you talking about? If you're talking about the blue GT500 vs Fatt-Cat, I have a slight suspicion something was amiss with those runs. I ran an Auto Hellcat in Mexico last Saturday, I don't know if you saw my post, and while he did beat me, it wasn't anywhere near that dramatic. Roll started from about 70ish, I started in 3rd and we went to nearly the top of 4th gear and my front bumper was at his rear fender. I posted this on Hellcat.org also in an attempt to try and find the owner. The folks over there also think that was a bunk race, and they're all Hellcat people!

At 70 you could have started in 2nd as it tops out at 90-ish at the shift point, if you could have gotten traction it might have put you a little closer albeit at the expense of an added shift.

As for the C&D test those are some terrible times. I don't think we'll be seeing 10-second Hellcat timeslips without unusually low DA conditions. Still impressive for a 4500-pound boat of a chassis.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
At 70 you could have started in 2nd as it tops out at 90-ish at the shift point, if you could have gotten traction it might have put you a little closer albeit at the expense of an added shift.

As for the C&D test those are some terrible times. I don't think we'll be seeing 10-second Hellcat timeslips without unusually low DA conditions. Still impressive for a 4500-pound boat of a chassis.

I was thinking that, but I was trying to avoid a shift. It worked out pretty well, car pulled hard in that gear from that speed

Fastfish420

Established Member
Alittle off topic,but Im a Chrysler tech and i drove my first Hellcat the other day.I own a 14 Shelby and I have to say comparing a Hellcat to a Shelby is like apples to oranges.This Hellcat is a 6-speed and did not feel as strong stock to stock as the Shelby.The supercharger on the Hellcat is so noisy its almost annoying at times,but it is a car you could live with on a everyday basis and drive it as a DD.The Shelby is such a raw in your face that is a drivers type of car.I would love to have both!

Users who are viewing this thread