Car Appraisal??

bakeme9699

Established Member
I want to up the insurance coverage on my 99 GT. Blue book is about 10k.

Replacement cost of the wheels/tires/brakes alone would be about $4500.

To go up to $15000, my insurance co. wants pictures and an appraisal.

I live in bum F central Illinois. Would a dealership perform an appraisal...how much would one be??

Anyone else up their coverage beyond Blue Book??

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
I want to up the insurance coverage on my 99 GT. Blue book is about 10k.

Replacement cost of the wheels/tires/brakes alone would be about $4500.

To go up to $15000, my insurance co. wants pictures and an appraisal.

I live in bum F central Illinois. Would a dealership perform an appraisal...how much would one be??

Anyone else up their coverage beyond Blue Book??

why would you want to do this? if the car is totaled sell the wheels and tires and brakes that are worth 4500$, i dont see how they would all get destroyed

its just gonna raise your insurance cost, unless your worried about it being stolen but even then spend the money on a GOOD alarm setup and save your money on insurance.

im not meaning to be a dick i just want to know why? ive always just figured that even if the car is totaled most of my expensive parts will still be ok and i can buy it back then sell the parts and whats left of the car.

a dealership will appraise it but most likely under blue book, your gonna have a hard time getting it appraised at a higher value than BB. Aftermarket goodies dont really add to an appraisal/selling price.

slash

Established Member
why would you want to do this? if the car is totaled sell the wheels and tires and brakes that are worth 4500$, i dont see how they would all get destroyed

its just gonna raise your insurance cost, unless your worried about it being stolen but even then spend the money on a GOOD alarm setup and save your money on insurance.

im not meaning to be a dick i just want to know why? ive always just figured that even if the car is totaled most of my expensive parts will still be ok and i can buy it back then sell the parts and whats left of the car.

a dealership will appraise it but most likely under blue book, your gonna have a hard time getting it appraised at a higher value than BB. Aftermarket goodies dont really add to an appraisal/selling price.

thats great, what if it gets stolen and not recoverd? plus dealers do not use the infamous "blue book"

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

or he can cover all that under his insurance, then when it does get damaged or totalled, he not only gets covered from that, but he can gaffle whatever he can and sell it off for additional moneys. and this way, if it does get stolen outright, he doesnt take as big a hit as if he didnt have everything else covered and all his mods just got written off. paying an extra 10-20$ a month and one day if it does happen, its better to get maybe 2-3000$ back for the additional 10,000$ worth of mods than get nothing back at all.

bakeme9699

Established Member

I'm not asking the dealership to buy my car, I just want a piece of paper from somebody justifying why it would take 15K to salvage my investment.

The ins. co has no problem with it and do it all the time. If the car is in a storage fire or totalled I get 15K instead of 10k or less. Besides my insurance is only about $50/month. Basically piece of mind.

I just need to find an appraiser. Most people who own old musclecars/classics have their cars appraised for insurance reasons, otherwise they would take a beating if the car was a total loss.

Leeroy697

Established Member
I aksed my insurance guy about this and he said either I have to give him receipts or call an appraiser. I have never heard of a dealership doing that for you.

Y2k4cobra

Bohemian Bandit II
Established Member
try some body shops in your area, or any resto shops in your area most likely will do a appraisal for you. They are about $50 to get done but its still not bad..

Don't H8

Established Member
receipts for what you spent is key...pictures along with the reciepts should allow for the insurance to increase the value/coverage of the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread