Car back from dealer with new clutch and tranny

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Just got my car back from the dealer yesterday. The squeel is gone as is the clutch pedal chatter. Transmission shifts much smoother than before. My only concern is the new clutch. It feels much lighter than my original stiff one, easier to push in and hold. Is it possible they put a lighter one in that won't hold up long - or is this normal with a new clutch?

Ticket said the trout bearing collar was broken...

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by DD2000GT
Just got my car back from the dealer yesterday. .....My only concern is the new clutch. It feels much lighter than my original stiff one, easier to push in and hold. Is it possible they put a lighter one in that won't hold up long - or is this normal with a new clutch?

that's the revised replacement clutch that Ford is putting in our cars...supposedly, they also started using it sometime during the 2nd production run...although it has a lighter feel I can't believe it wouldn't be as strong as the previous one, might even be better....

the first ones were supplied by Valeo...I've been told the replacement is from Centerforce although it may just be a "centerforce-style".....I'm trying to get more (accurate) info on this

Last edited:

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
It would be interesting to compare the old and new clutches side by side and see what changes were made. The clutch could be easier just because of the new design. The only concern left with that is that new TOB will not hang up on the trans bearing reatiner. If this new clutch is the fix you will know in the next 5000 miles.

Killer Cobra

Established Member
Car back from dealer with new clutch and tranny

Do you still have the Clunk when shifting gears or off and off the gas? I have the cluck right in the tranny area and not in the rear end and I guess a new tranny or clutch will need to be replaced. I'm just scared shitless to bring her back to Ford..If I knew what the problem was I would just upgrade that part and forget ford.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Just got my car back from the dealer yesterday. The squeel is gone as is the clutch pedal chatter. Transmission shifts much smoother than before. My only concern is the new clutch. It feels much lighter than my original stiff one, easier to push in and hold. Is it possible they put a lighter one in that won't hold up long - or is this normal with a new clutch?

Ticket said the trout bearing collar was broken...

I just go my car back from service too. They did a new clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate. I noticed the clutch is MUCH lighter. I don't know if I like it or not.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Re: Re: Car back from dealer with new clutch and tranny

Originally posted by bassin247
I just go my car back from service too. They did a new clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate. I noticed the clutch is MUCH lighter. I don't know if I like it or not.

You will once you get used to it.

It's still a heavy clutch compared to other cars, but not compared to what originally came in ours. I drove another guy's cobra recently who hadn't had the replacement, and his pedal was a monster. I had forgotten how hard it was. You'll like this one a lot better in 2 weeks or less, I guarantee. :)

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Is it possible they put a lighter one in that won't hold up long - or is this normal with a new clutch?

The new clutches Ford service is using has a revised spring rate nothing more. Side by side that is the only external clue. Holding power is the same and clutch life expectancy is dependant on 1. the techs that installed it 2. Your HP/TQ level and 3. your left foot. The only concern I've had with the replacement clutches is that the adjustment travel seems to run out too fast. Yours may be different though just keep an eye on the adjuster if you still have the stock quad.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Re: Re: Car back from dealer with new clutch and tranny

Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
The new clutches Ford service is using has a revised spring rate nothing more. Side by side that is the only external clue. Holding power is the same and clutch life expectancy is dependant on 1. the techs that installed it 2. Your HP/TQ level and 3. your left foot. The only concern I've had with the replacement clutches is that the adjustment travel seems to run out too fast. Yours may be different though just keep an eye on the adjuster if you still have the stock quad.

Glad to see I wasn't the only ones who noticed. I spoke with my Service Advisor this afternoon and he confirmed it was a redesigned clutch Ford is now using. He said the strong springs on the old ones were the culprit for all the TOB problems... I guess time will tell. I CAN tell you all that I can now get a second gear scratch with my 315 Nitto's, I couldn't do this before even with my stock F1's, so I guess that is a big plus! :thumbsup:

I have a new Steeda Clutch quadrant, firewall adjuster, and cable waiting to go on, just need some help with the install (never done or seen it done before). Me and Coleman might organize a GTG for just this purpose (hint, hint Coleman)

jordanvraptor

Established Member
Is there a TSB saying that the TOB problems are due to the earlier stronger springs? I can just imagine the dealeer saying they won't replace my clutch and TOB because I "abused" it.....

coleman

Established Member
Originally posted by maoun
dd2000gt....don't install the steeda cable...everything else is awesome, their cable sucks
m.
why? is our stock cable better? ... DD2000GT & I just bought the 3-piece kit from Steeda. :bash:

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
my friend just installed a new dual friction centerforce in his 5.0 an it is much easier to depress then my stock CObra. I don't think the pedal feel is a concern to the quality of the clutch

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I don't know what's wrong witht the Steeda cable but I don't see anything wrong with the stock Ford one...it works just fine with an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster

KingSnake

Established Member
At any time in the production run did they switch these clutches? Just wondering if some of the more recently built cars have these redisigned clutches.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
The Steeda cable is crap, just like all the adjustable ones. They all come from the same factory, no matter who sells them. Use the stock cable.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
Originally posted by KingSnake
At any time in the production run did they switch these clutches? Just wondering if some of the more recently built cars have these redisigned clutches.

YDH1 code here. My clutch is VERY heavy. Also my TOB makes lots of noise. YaY! LoL. :nonono: -Mat-

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
The Steeda cable is crap, just like all the adjustable ones. They all come from the same factory, no matter who sells them. Use the stock cable.

Heard the same from X2C and Brothers. Both reccomended the stock cable with a firewall adjuster. Can't seem to find a part number for the stock cable though..

stang99

My mechanic was impressed by the UPR Extreme adjustable cable that he just installed on my car. It is a robust looking cable and it has an adjustment at the trans. The stock cable doesn't have any adjustment at the trans so you have to do it all with the hooks and the quadrant. My set up is stiff, but smooth. The Extreme cable is a different part than the normal cable so maybe it is an improvement?

Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
Heard the same from X2C and Brothers. Both reccomended the stock cable with a firewall adjuster. Can't seem to find a part number for the stock cable though..

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Tetge
The stock cable doesn't have any adjustment at the trans so you have to do it all with the hooks and the quadrant.

The stock cable can be modified to work with a firewall adjuster. It helps to have a new one to work with though in case you bugger it up.

Users who are viewing this thread