Car 'bucks' in 3rd gear with steady throttle

notoriousdad

Established Member
I own a 2000 SVT Contour. The only mod is a South County Autosport cold-air intake that puts the mass-air/t-boby down near the front bottom air grille.
The car has 60,000 miles on it. The fuel pump, spark plugs and wires were all recently replaced.

The problem is it starts to 'buck' at a steady throttle - between about 2500 to 3500 rpm's. It's almost like a driver that can't drive a stick and gets the driveshaft slapping along. or feels like two people having wild sex in the backseat and keep hitting my seat - yes, I have turned around to look! When I accelerate or change to 4th gear, it goes away; and running it hard presents no problem at all.

I just had it in for the major 60,000 mile service. The dealer found no codes, but did say they got the car to do it in 3rd and sometimes in 4th. They determined that 'it is a higher rpm engine and should not be lugged'; however, it isn't lugging at those rpm's! Someone else said to use fuel injection cleaner.

I called SVT - no tech bulletins on that particular problem. Ford is now checking to see if it's a computer problem whereby something leans (or makes richer) the fuel delivery at that spot, but doesn't show a code.

Any knowledge?

Thanks, The NOTORIOUSDAD :

shrug:

path914

Established Member
Upper Intake Manifold. Notorious for getting dirty and clogged up with gunk.

Don't know what your problem is, but I never had much luck with the SCA intake. It would always try to stall when coming to a stop or turning on the AC. Replaced with an open air filter in the stock location, ta-da, all problems disappeared.

notoriousdad

Established Member
Thanx; no, never cleaned it. I've never had a problem with the SCA filter ever; even in hard rain. Everytime I have the car serviced (regularly at the Ford dealer - since I have the extended 100,000 mile warranty), they tell me the filter is fine!

How hard is it to pull the upper intake?

path914

Established Member
Disconnect a few vacumn tubes, a few bolts, TB, EGR, and a few other little things. Not too bad, if you go to CEG and search there are complete instructions on cleaning the UIM and LIM.

Big 8

Established Member
I have a similar problem with mt car and its getting worse. Its a 00 and has 60K miles :shrug:

It bucks hard in any gear, and it seems that it starts after the car is driven without anger???? Any normal driving for a period of time, shifting at 3-4K in place of 6-7K? Also it starts a lot after sitting at a light. Or turning after a stop? I have also noticed when the car bucks hard the motor itself seems to run normal? RPM is constant and the motor sounds 100% normal, just the crow hops?

I tried some good fuel injector cleaner it seemed to help problem went away for a short period but returned?

IMHO the Contour drives like shit unless your beating the hell out of it. My car loves to be reved hard all the time. I will be taking it in to the dealer soon as well. I hope they can do something to remedy the problem. I had the UIM cleaned at about 35K miles The MAF is cleaned and I put a new KKM on the car to see if it was air???? Nothing has really helped?

Big 8

Established Member
Just thought I would follow up! My car died today! Motor is kaput! Get the bucking checked ASAP!

want contour sv

Established Member
My 99 does it sometimes, only in 1st or 2nd gear. It is terrible, like you can't drive a stick. Other times it is perfect. I may try the MAF clean up. What the hell kind of engine needs to have the intake manifold cleaned? This seems like a crazy thing to do! Big 8, hope your car is alright.

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
want contour sv said:
My 99 does it sometimes, only in 1st or 2nd gear. It is terrible, like you can't drive a stick. Other times it is perfect. I may try the MAF clean up. What the hell kind of engine needs to have the intake manifold cleaned? This seems like a crazy thing to do! Big 8, hope your car is alright.

Sounds like the fuel pump.

notoriousdad

Established Member
Well, sports fans, I had the mass air & t-body cleaned and put on another 3" air cleaner. Everything was filthy and sticky! After it was all over, I took it out and it did not do it once! I was so happy; however, after going away for 4 days (not driving it), the first time I drove it again, it started doing it again!?

You're right; if you just drive the piss out of it, it's happy and quits!?

The shop I took it too (Gould & Son) works on race cars and didn't see taking off the upper intake manifold.

I'm going to call the Ford dealer again. they thought it might be the clutch; and, since it does it in most every gear now, I just might let them change it! It's under my extended warranty.

Thanx again. I'll keep you posted. :shrug: :beer:

Steeltwo

Established Member
notoriousdad said:
Well, sports fans, I had the mass air & t-body cleaned and put on another 3" air cleaner. Everything was filthy and sticky! After it was all over, I took it out and it did not do it once! I was so happy; however, after going away for 4 days (not driving it), the first time I drove it again, it started doing it again!?

You're right; if you just drive the piss out of it, it's happy and quits!?

The shop I took it too (Gould & Son) works on race cars and didn't see taking off the upper intake manifold.

I'm going to call the Ford dealer again. they thought it might be the clutch; and, since it does it in most every gear now, I just might let them change it! It's under my extended warranty.

Thanx again. I'll keep you posted. :shrug: :beer:

get a new clutch under warrenty
can't go wrong with that. :)

plus it is one less thing to have too replace when the warrenty does run out.

Big 8

Established Member
Jason43 said:
Sounds like the fuel pump.

Agree fuel pump and fuel filter, took care of my bucking. My motor didnt actually die? I ran over a piece of steel on the freeway. Flat tire and poked a hole some where underneath the car. Oil pan I guess :shrug: A little smoke and a whole lot of burnt smell. Figured I was screwed. Dealer replaced the fuel filters and pump. Bucking is gone. :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread