Car changeup (again) and a random track day with the cute little Miata!

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
Some days I feel like I have a major illness.

I have been growing more and more disillusioned with the fuel economy of my Explorer Sport. The lifetime average was sitting at 15.7 MPG which is pretty terrible, albeit better than the 13.2 I got with the Ecoboost F150. I had been looking semi-actively at Subarus, and the new WRX was growing on me for its value and the obvious improvements over the last gen. After a talk with the bank, it was a definite non-starter. Apparently you can't swap new vehicles five times in three years without raising some eyebrows and accruing some monster negative equity. Who knew?

Instead, after making a sizable down payment (way too much IMO) to pay off the negative equity I became the proud new daddy to a 2014 BMW M235i with a proper manual transmission!

I haven't had an opportunity to properly photograph it, but here is a quick driveway snap from the delivery day:

20140907_192940_zpsbad2cecb.jpg

I also decided that it was in our best interests to pull away from one of the toys and put the Mazdaspeed Miata up for sale. I have far too much money invested in the car just to make all the go fast stuff play nice (bigger turbo and Haltech standalone EMS), but I figure it can't hurt to get a little cash and lose one payment when we just bought a house.

I couldn't send her off without getting some kind of performance metric on such a modified car, so I waited until a suitable track day presented itself. I went to an F body club track rental last weekend after getting rained out twice and ripped off a few runs. I seem to have spooked a couple of LS guys as well, because by the end of my day most of my runs were against weird stuff like the 3.8 swapped, sprayed convertible Cavalier and a couple of diesel trucks. Still I ran a damn respectable [email protected] MPH. My goal for the car ultimately was a 12.9 so I was definitely fairly impressed with this little guy! There is probably a 12.5@110 in it with a better intake manifold and some more tuning but I will have to see if I end up keeping it over the winter before I rip into it again and throw more money into it.

A couple pics and the slip:

20140702_125159_RichtoneHDR_zpsc850d601.jpg

20140702_125223_RichtoneHDR_zps6931e1c5.jpg

20140921_133242_zpsb499a386.jpg

bokyo1987

Established Member
Nice pick up, op. I'm a fan of that Miata as well. It's real clean, not garish like the modded ones I'm used to seeing around here.

Last edited:

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
Nice pick up, op. I'm a fan of that Miata as well. It's real clean, not garish like the modded ones I'm used to seeing around here.

Thanks, I'm not a fan of the frame dragging uber camber ones either. Form follows function for me.

That miata is freakin' sweet!

Thanks! You don't hear that often here...

Aren't you worried that in less than a year you'll be selling again because the 2 series was just too small?

Nah, I have a Blazer for towing and carrying crap, plus the other half has a Fusion as well.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
Sweet car man, I'm a big fan of the m235i. However, I'm confused. If your bank said no way to the WRX, how did you come to the decision to spend $20k more?

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
Sweet car man, I'm a big fan of the m235i. However, I'm confused. If your bank said no way to the WRX, how did you come to the decision to spend $20k more?

Loan to value percentage. The more you spend, the lower it gets and the happier the bank is, though it is completely counter productive.

Users who are viewing this thread